Turn on thread page Beta

hard sweet stuff on cakes (icing ?) where to buy? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm not too good at this so bear with me. I want to make my brother a birthday cake and I thought of a really cool one but I don't know how to make it. I can make cake that's not a problem but I want that hard stuff on top, don't know what it's called, where can I buy some? I looked in tesco and asda and couldn't find it. Is it possible to buy?

Don't know if I explained too well, I mean this stuff:

But not that colour obviously :p:

Any help? Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Have a look online for cooking and baking shops, there may also be some baking shops in your local area.

ReputationRep:
    Yep that's icing (specifically fondant icing) - they sell ready to roll stuff in most supermarkets, it's pretty easy to use and explains how to stick it to the cake on the back. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    you can buy it as ready made roll-on icing from most good cookshops (little ones in towns etc, not supermarkets), try morrisons as well, and i believe asda DOES stock it, but you need to ask if you cant find it yourself

ReputationRep:
    Fondant or regal icing. Look in proper baking shops. It's fairly tricky to use btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadiah)
    Yep that's icing (specifically fondant icing) - they sell ready to roll stuff in most supermarkets, it's pretty easy to use and explains how to stick it to the cake on the back. Good luck!
    Where would it be? I was looking for ages in the baking sections of tesco and asda (quite big branches too) and couldn't find it. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    fondant icing...sainsbury's does it:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smoosh)
    Fondant or regal icing. Look in proper baking shops. It's fairly tricky to use btw.
    "fairly tricky"? As in very? :o: What I want to do with it seems pretty simple, nothing like some of those really cool looking cakes, it's a simple design do you think it would be very hard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by White Trash)
    "fairly tricky"? As in very? :o: What I want to do with it seems pretty simple, nothing like some of those really cool looking cakes, it's a simple design do you think it would be very hard?
    It's not too bad, but no where near as easy as normal icing because you have to create a piece large enough to cover the entire cake and it's quite prone to tearing/getting uneven/going bumpy when applying to the cake.
    Try not to over handle it too much because that will make it sticky and harder to roll.

ReputationRep:
    You could make your own - it's basically just a mixture of icing sugar and water, in varying proportions depending on how thick you want it. Look up the recipe online

Getting the colour right and even if you colour it yourself can be tricky. Making shapes etc to decorate cakes with is easy but covering a whole cake in it can be tricky if you don't know what you are doing. Maybe watch some online video tutorials if you can find any?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by White Trash)
    Where would it be? I was looking for ages in the baking sections of tesco and asda (quite big branches too) and couldn't find it. :confused:

Really? That's surprising, since I found it in my tiny co-op the other week! You might have to ask someone. It will be the the home baking asile, usually in a foil packet, and it doesn't look like there will be anywhere near enough but there is :yep:

Will probably look something like this

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.