Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

opinions needed on wearing waistcoat casually? watch

ReputationRep:
    So I bought a waistcoat for a fancy dress I'm going to, but today I tried it on with a white t-shirt, casual navy trousers and plymsols and I thought it looked quite good just wearing it casually...sort of in the style of this guy:

http://www.asos.com/French-Connectio...rt=-1&clr=Blue

Is this a good look or should I just save the waistcoat for formal wear?
    be cool to hear both guys and girls opinions on this style.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    A true gentleman never wears anything "casually". Stick to wearing with a suit and pocket-watch imho.

i've got a waistcoat a little like that which we got for 6th form.
    i wear it now casually with skirts and stuff- definitely great when i have those fat days :P

if you think it looks good, and you feel confident in it, wear it
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Only in Dickensian London.
    What-ho chap!

ReputationRep:
    No. Never wear a waistcoat with a t shirt, it's as fashionable as socks and sandals. That model looks stupid imo, if you really want to wear a waistcoat it's either three piece suit, or over a shirt. And lose the gimpsolls aswell tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I love the casual + waistcoat look!! Although I admit, some clothings do look a bit odd with the addition of a waistcoat but other times I think it looks great

Although I think I'd much prefer it if that model had his waistcoat closed rather than open. I always think open waistcoats look sloppy.
    Looks a bit big for him too, maybe it's because it's open. But waistcoats for me definitely have to look fitted.

ReputationRep:
    Another thing to remember is that waistcoats are generally too short for the modern trouser (as these days they tend to sit at the hips rather than the waist). This results in an ugly bulge of shirt (or heaven forbid T-shirt).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    No. Never wear a waistcoat with a t shirt, it's as fashionable as socks and sandals. That model looks stupid imo, if you really want to wear a waistcoat it's either three piece suit, or over a shirt. And lose the gimpsolls aswell tbh.
    Yeh its hard, I guess if I was Johnny Depp or something, I could easily pull it off.

Also my plymsols are diesel and look much better than any Topman/Burton/River Island ones so dam I'm wearing them till the soles are gone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrystalNeko)
    I love the casual + waistcoat look!! Although I admit, some clothings do look a bit odd with the addition of a waistcoat but other times I think it looks great

Although I think I'd much prefer it if that model had his waistcoat closed rather than open. I always think open waistcoats look sloppy.
    Looks a bit big for him too, maybe it's because it's open. But waistcoats for me definitely have to look fitted.
    I like the look aswell, I think I'm just gonna do it every now and then.
    Also I reckon somewhere like London it wouldn't look odd, but in other places it could attract attention!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gatorade)
    I like the look aswell, I think I'm just gonna do it every now and then.
    Also I reckon somewhere like London it wouldn't look odd, but in other places it could attract attention!
    Pah! I can't imagine it attracting that much attention. I mean, I think alternative clothing stand out much more than a piece of formal wear.

Go for it!

ReputationRep:
    No, don't do it. I see people wearing waistcoats with Jack Wills t shirts underneath and think 'douche'.

ReputationRep:
    I do like the look, but only some guys can pull it off ( see matt smith for an example). I don't really like how it looks in the link, the clothes are too loose on that model. If it looks good and you're confident in it, go for it!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about the t-shirt/plymsols...but in general, I approve of waistcoats!

(Though I think they look better BUTTONED and paired with a proper long-sleeved shirt).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antitype Chi)
    I don't know about the t-shirt/plymsols...but in general, I approve of waistcoats!

(Though I think they look better BUTTONED and paired with a proper long-sleeved shirt).
    That's right. Maybe with a more interesting material, cashmere, velvet, or corduroy. That would make it less formal looking. The one the model's wearing just looks like it should be paired with a suit.

I've just had an idea, not sure whether it would work but maybe pair it with a casual shirt with a grandad collar, I'm sure i've seen someone on tv or an advert pull this off and it didn't look too shabby. I don't think they work with t-shirts imo.

ReputationRep:
    I think it looks a bit boybandish

ReputationRep:
    I personally hate how that model looks. Might be better with a proper shirt. If you like how you look, wear it!

ReputationRep:
    I only ever see benders wearing waistcoats. I think the only straight men who wear them are Snooker players.

ReputationRep:
    I actually have the exact same waistcoat (from primark though) and another from there which is slightly different. I only got them yesterday so got to do a bit of clothes wear testing with them etc.

I think for the waitcoat look its got to be 100% correct to look good, as an example Spanky savage when Dirty Penny recordered the video for the song "midnight ride" looked great.

I may in future upload some pictures of what i bought and get some views/opinoin myself.

ReputationRep:
    Not with a T-shirt, maybe a casual shirt and jeans, if you've got a nice manly body. So no-go if you're a twig with girl shoulders

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.