Turn on thread page Beta

Updated my relationship status - very bad family reaction! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I'm in my second week of Uni and I've finally got with a guy I've liked since I got here. I updated Facebook and it posted a message saying how were were in a relationship, and my sister back home saw this and, at first, kept saying I should stop joking around because people would think I was gay. I told her tht I was serious and I was going out with him. My friends left messages of support and that which was very nice, but then my sister commented saying it was "******* sick", to which my friends amazingly recoiled to! I was actually disappointed because I thought she knew that I wasn't straight, I never liked football when I was younger, I dress flamboyantly, talk kinda gay, basically the usual! I came out to my mam two years ago and told her how I am bisexual, and I came out to her 3 months ago in an argument, and amazingly, she was shocked then, yes, she had actually forgot! So basically I had a second coming out! My mum was fine when I came out, and she said that she had made my stepdad aware of it and he was fine too. However she sent me a text this evening asking if it's really what want ad how she reckons I'm confused and should take some time.

I'm just very shocked at my sister's reaction to it, I'm scared they're gonna do something rash like drive down here! You reckon it will be ok over time, from anybody's experiences? I'm kinda confused and angry right now and ready to cut them all out.

ReputationRep:
    You're sisters a *****, but your mum will come around.
    Plus you're pretty lucky you already found someone, I assumed gays found it difficult to find boyfriends.

ReputationRep:
    dsuddud yo''ure ok ignore your sister shes a cofnsueed sy***** just FHET OUT THERE AND HOU SOME GOOD TIEMSZZXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh, the "it's just a phase" reaction, followed by "****, he actually means it", hopefully followed by acceptance. Sounds like you've basically shocked them out of denial, and once they're over that (providing you don't get a few nipple rings or join a cult) everything will probably die down. Your mum's probably more worried about you being stigmatized (when she was your age, homophobia ruined lives) and as for your sister- is she younger than you? My sister's about 16 and still considers "gay" an insult. She'll get over it once she matures and realises everyone else isn't ****-ish about it.

If they offer to come visit, tell them you're busy with your studies, thus proving that your life goes on whether you're gay or not. Failing that, join a nipple ring cult and they'll be more worried about that instead.

ReputationRep:
    Not to worry, this is usually how the working class family reacts when it finds out one of their own is homosexual. It'll all blow over in time and they'll come to accept you. Or, at least, I hope.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds pretty normal, they might just have thought it was a phase or were in denial but I doubt they will come chasing after you, they may decide to not contact you for a little while or something but any self respecting parent would stand b ytheir child, dont worry about your sister either, shes probably just being moody as hell, so long as you ar ehappy thats the main thing, the whole problem will blow over

ReputationRep:
    That sounds really rough, OP If I were you, I'd give it time to settle down. By the time you go home at the end of term, maybe they'll have accepted it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnthonyShock)
    Hey guys,

I'm in my second week of Uni and I've finally got with a guy I've liked since I got here. I updated Facebook and it posted a message saying how were were in a relationship, and my sister back home saw this and, at first, kept saying I should stop joking around because people would think I was gay. I told her tht I was serious and I was going out with him. My friends left messages of support and that which was very nice, but then my sister commented saying it was "******* sick", to which my friends amazingly recoiled to! I was actually disappointed because I thought she knew that I wasn't straight, I never liked football when I was younger, I dress flamboyantly, talk kinda gay, basically the usual! I came out to my mam two years ago and told her how I am bisexual, and I came out to her 3 months ago in an argument, and amazingly, she was shocked then, yes, she had actually forgot! So basically I had a second coming out! My mum was fine when I came out, and she said that she had made my stepdad aware of it and he was fine too. However she sent me a text this evening asking if it's really what want ad how she reckons I'm confused and should take some time.

I'm just very shocked at my sister's reaction to it, I'm scared they're gonna do something rash like drive down here! You reckon it will be ok over time, from anybody's experiences? I'm kinda confused and angry right now and ready to cut them all out.

Good on you babe! I wouldn't worry too much, it's big now but by the sounds of what happened before they'll come around. Has your sister ever tried to one up you to your parents before? Because she might be trying to be 'the good one' compared to you, not a very mature thing to do but then again either way she's you sister and should come round. Plus you have fantastic friends to support you so don't worry. Chin up chest out chicken! x

ReputationRep:
    My sister is 29 and is married with 2 kids, she's not really the type of girl who'd have a gay best friend either if you know what I mean! Yeah at first she thought I was kidding and said I had better take it off because people would take it seriously. I think she genuinely didn't believe it at first.

ReputationRep:
    Bangor students, aren't they great....

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't you change your term-time location status to Bangim as well?

ReputationRep:
    I knew gays existed but I didn't realise they were real people just like me D:

ReputationRep:
    She should be fine with it to be honest.
    I mean it's not like there are 2 gay people in every town anymore.
    There is as many homosexuals as heterosexuals in my oppinion.Many lead a heterosexual life due to denial and reject by society in general.
    Just tell her to **** off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Orange)
    Shouldn't you change your term-time location status to Bangim as well?
    Your sig is awesome, :thumbsup: especially the troll bit. :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Tbh your sister sounds horrible! She may share the same blood, but with behaviour like that, who needs enemies. I say respect her and obviously be civil towards her, but don't give a stuff about what she says - sounds too opinionated to me. It's your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissFanatical)
    dsuddud yo''ure ok ignore your sister shes a cofnsueed sy***** just FHET OUT THERE AND HOU SOME GOOD TIEMSZZXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Has someone been knocking them back?

ReputationRep:
    your family sud be accepting u for who u are and if not then thats their problem, why is it such a big deal no gives a flying ^&*@ if someone is straight so why sud we if they are gay

ReputationRep:
    Your sister really needs to be a lot supportive and a lot more open minded. It will do her no good to act this way. At least your mother and step dad have accepted it partially, that's a start.

ReputationRep:
    Give your sis some time.

ReputationRep:
    This is a bad family reaction? are you serious? :wha

Your mum and dad are fine with it. Only one thats being a ***** is your sis, how on earth is this a bad reaction? Ive know people who had it far far worse than you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.