Turn on thread page Beta

Updated my relationship status - very bad family reaction! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saccharine Sour)
    Not to worry, this is usually how the working class family reacts when it finds out one of their own is homosexual. It'll all blow over in time and they'll come to accept you. Or, at least, I hope.
    Woah, do you do anthropology?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gez1990)
    Has someone been knocking them back?
    lol i don't even remember writing that :lolwut: oh well, at least it was supportive and sort of coherent. although the person who negged me saying 'PLAIN ENGLISH PLEASE' doesn't appear to think so xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonged.)
    Woah, do you do anthropology?
    No, it's just what I've observed from spending time amongst the proletariat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnthonyShock)
    I thought she knew that I wasn't straight, I never liked football when I was younger

Wait.....football is the sport for gays. Most of the players seem pretty limp wristed these days.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's just what I've observed from spending time amongst the proletariat.
    Don't spend too much time amongst them.. you might catch the poor.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hey guys,

I'm in my second week of Uni and I've finally got with a guy I've liked since I got here. I updated Facebook and it posted a message saying how were were in a relationship, and my sister back home saw this and, at first, kept saying I should stop joking around because people would think I was gay. I told her tht I was serious and I was going out with him. My friends left messages of support and that which was very nice, but then my sister commented saying it was "******* sick", to which my friends amazingly recoiled to! I was actually disappointed because I thought she knew that I wasn't straight, I never liked football when I was younger, I dress flamboyantly, talk kinda gay, basically the usual! I came out to my mam two years ago and told her how I am bisexual, and I came out to her 3 months ago in an argument, and amazingly, she was shocked then, yes, she had actually forgot! So basically I had a second coming out! My mum was fine when I came out, and she said that she had made my stepdad aware of it and he was fine too. However she sent me a text this evening asking if it's really what want ad how she reckons I'm confused and should take some time.

I'm just very shocked at my sister's reaction to it, I'm scared they're gonna do something rash like drive down here! You reckon it will be ok over time, from anybody's experiences? I'm kinda confused and angry right now and ready to cut them all out.
    Your mum and sister are both a bit shocked with the news, especially your sister but give them time to take it all in and soon the will accept it more and be ok with it over time. Its your life, if you want to go out with this person then its your choice and if you are happy then thats all that matters. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly dude, it could have been a lot worse than that. Your sister will either come round in time (and hopefully apologise for being a tit) or continue to be a tit, in which case just don't concern yourself with her (easier said than done).

As for your mum, I think you should let her get on with her "I think it's just a phase" bullcrap, imagine the confusions you felt before you accepted your sexuality, well basically your mum is now going through that. She might say some demeaning things about it, but you can be 99% sure that she won't mean them. She'll accept it eventually - if she wasn't going to, you'd know about it by now.

ReputationRep:
    **Hugss**

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonged.)
    Don't spend too much time amongst them.. you might catch the poor.
    Well, catching the poor would be a relief in some ways. Their outlook on life is refreshing.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'll give it a bit of time. Now I've slept I'm thinking more rationally and it didn't seem that bad, just the rush of it yesterday!

BUt thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I'm in my second week of Uni and I've finally got with a guy I've liked since I got here. I updated Facebook and it posted a message saying how were were in a relationship, and my sister back home saw this and, at first, kept saying I should stop joking around because people would think I was gay. I told her tht I was serious and I was going out with him. My friends left messages of support and that which was very nice, but then my sister commented saying it was "******* sick", to which my friends amazingly recoiled to! I was actually disappointed because I thought she knew that I wasn't straight, I never liked football when I was younger, I dress flamboyantly, talk kinda gay, basically the usual! I came out to my mam two years ago and told her how I am bisexual, and I came out to her 3 months ago in an argument, and amazingly, she was shocked then, yes, she had actually forgot! So basically I had a second coming out! My mum was fine when I came out, and she said that she had made my stepdad aware of it and he was fine too. However she sent me a text this evening asking if it's really what want ad how she reckons I'm confused and should take some time.

I'm just very shocked at my sister's reaction to it, I'm scared they're gonna do something rash like drive down here! You reckon it will be ok over time, from anybody's experiences? I'm kinda confused and angry right now and ready to cut them all out.
    Even if your sister's being out of order, it really does seem as if your mum is just quite surprised and possibly doesn't know how to react. Don't shut them out :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissFanatical)
    lol i don't even remember writing that :lolwut: oh well, at least it was supportive and sort of coherent. although the person who negged me saying 'PLAIN ENGLISH PLEASE' doesn't appear to think so xD
    Ah well, drunk consolation is the best I reckon...
    ...unless the person you're consoling is sober

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cactus_Man)
    Lie to your family for the inheritance money, then dance on their graves once they're rotting in them. That's my strategy, and I must say it's actually fun in some ways. It's a sport of sorts.
    I like your thinking.

ReputationRep:
    I can only imagine what an Eastern European family would do.

ReputationRep:
    Well, catching the poor would be a relief in some ways. Their outlook on life is refreshing.
    Jesus christ, I'm Middle Class, and I'm actually shocked if you actually were being sincere when you said this! The working class aren't a different species!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    You're sisters a *****, but your mum will come around.
    Plus you're pretty lucky you already found someone, I assumed gays found it difficult to find boyfriends.
    It's pretty easy to find a boyfriend, especially in cities. I hate most gay people though...

ReputationRep:
    Why are you posting it on facebook? Mr Zuckenberg is just gonna sell your private information and your in a relationship for personal reasons, you shouldn't have to feel that you have to go and publicize it on facebook.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'll give it a bit of time. Now I've slept I'm thinking more rationally and it didn't seem that bad, just the rush of it yesterday!

BUt thanks
    If they can't accept you for who you are, then that's their problem, not yours.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Firstly, yay to BSc Psychology

Congrats on the relationship! I'm sure most people don't commit like that so early on at uni and I wish you all the best for it.
    I know this can be a problem for bisexuals, and to some extend homosexuals- you come out and then no one really takes it seriously until you're in a same sex relationship. Otherwise it's likely that people can tell themselves that it's "just a phase" or it doesn't matter whatsoever because you'll never be in a homosexual relationship.
    Maybe your mum is just concerned because you're starting a relationship right at the start of uni- when a lot of single people just want to stay single and play the field. Or did she say something directly about your sexuality? Or is there something about this particular guy she doesn't like the sound of?
    I can't say what's going to happen, but if you reassure your parents that this is what you want, they have no right to 'drive down' or whatever! And delete your sister's comment. She's obviously finding it hard to come to terms with and she either will eventually or never will, and I hope it's the former.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leemyster)
    Why are you posting it on facebook? Mr Zuckenberg is just gonna sell your private information and your in a relationship for personal reasons, you shouldn't have to feel that you have to go and publicize it on facebook.
    It's the easiest way to tell your friends and stalkers, Facebook, however you might argue about the pros and cons, is used by many for personal reasons, and sharing personal information.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2010
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.