Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am trying to copy my medicine personal statement into the online ucas application. I have copied it from Microsoft word and into the online ucas application. However, once it is copied, the spacing between each paragraph that I had within Microsoft word, no longer appears on the online ucas application. Is this supposed to occur?

This is what I got from the help section in UCAS:-

If you prepared your personal statement using a word-processing package and pasted it into Apply, you may find that any paragraph spacing that you included is not displayed. Don't worry - your chosen universities and colleges will receive the original formatted version.

Also, in Microsoft word, my personal statement was about 55 lines long, which is too many lines. This is including the spacing between each paragraph. However, once I copy the personal statement into the ucas online application, it changes to 46 lines based on the preview. Is this supposed to happen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firestar101)
    Is this supposed to happen?
    No, it's not supposed to happen. I can only talk from past experience, when I pasted my PS into the UCAS form the formatting changed slightly by adding in spaces and changing characters into words. I went through it and found the small changes (it didn't take long).

Regarding the lines, word and UCAS will have different line counts. What size and font did you use in word? Obviously if you used size 20 and it took up 55 lines, when you paste it into the UCAS -which automatically changes it to their sizing and font- it will take up fewer lines.

I can't comment on UCAS's statement though..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JTeighty)
    No, it's not supposed to happen. I can only talk from past experience, when I pasted my PS into the UCAS form the formatting changed slightly by adding in spaces and changing characters into words. I went through it and found the small changes (it didn't take long).

Regarding the lines, word and UCAS will have different line counts. What size and font did you use in word? Obviously if you used size 20 and it took up 55 lines, when you paste it into the UCAS -which automatically changes it to their sizing and font- it will take up fewer lines.

I can't comment on UCAS's statement though..
    I have used Arial and size 12 in Microsoft word. So, when I look at the preview of the personal statement once I have copied it in, is that what admissions will also be seeing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firestar101)
    I have used Arial and size 12 in Microsoft word. So, when I look at the preview of the personal statement once I have copied it in, is that what admissions will also be seeing.
    I'm sorry I don't know about that. I don't want to misguide you. I suppose if that's what UCAS say then one should believe them. Does it appear as you want it in the preview or review of the statement? If it doesn't, then I'm out of suggestions..

ReputationRep:
    No, it does not appear as I want it to, in the preview. There is no spacing between the paragraphs in the preview, and I am not sure if I am supposed to make the changes myself to the preview and then save it or if admissions will be seeing the personal statement that I copied from Microsoft word and into the online ucas form. I will try and find out from someone that has recently sent away their application. Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    If it doesn't look the way you have intended it to look, i.e. with spacing between paragraphs, you need to amend it yourself on UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    I had double spced paragraphs on word ie. a blank line between and it came up fine in UCAS. My referee said that often it changes lines in strange places...but if everyone's is the same or similar are the unis going to care?

If you're happy with the content and the layout in the Word document I'd leave it. If you get asked to an interview, print a copy of the Word document and take it with you, just in case.

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.