Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone.

I'm currently at Nottingham Trent University studying Law with Spanish and i'm just about to start my second year...next monday. :/

For the most part of my time at Trent, I've felt like I don't really belong there. To the university itself and to the degree that I'm doing. Having had pretty good results at GCSE and three A's predicted at A Level, I let myself down completely when i got BBC in psychology, biology and chemistry respectively. As you are probably already thinking, those A levels are quite unrelated to Law with Spanish. The reason I chose this course was because initially I had applied for psychology but had failed to get the grades. I went through clearing, saw law with spanish (spanish being my other passion) and immediately felt attracted to it, probably because at that moment in time I felt rushed and panicked into picking a professional degree especially with my mother being at my side during the clearing process.

Now I've come to realise that I should've been true to myself the whole way. However my naivety and general apathy towards studying during sixth form got the better of me and I feel like a part of me has been lost because I know I'm so much better than this. Having a controlling mother who doesn't recognise the value of other jobs besides medicine, law, and engineering doesn't help either.

Anyway, sorry about the long rant. I've always been interested in philosophy and english and i've always wanted to go to a prestigious university like oxford or cambridge, or UCL.

My ideal university would be cambridge. However, what I want to ask is has anyone here taken an access course? Do I need one because I haven't taken the right A-levels (and haven't achieved good enough grades)? Will Cambridge accept this? Which access course would I have to take? And finally, am I being stupid and rash for wanting to do something so drastic, especially because I've left it so late?

I figure that if it's too complicated, then I'm just going to have to stick with Law with Spanish...at Trent, urgh.

Thanks for any suggestions or help.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting. I wouldn't have thought any universities do access courses for subjects like philosophy, especially at high-ranked institutions like the ones you mentioned. But, I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pooh_bear7)
    Hey everyone.

I'm currently at Nottingham Trent University studying Law with Spanish and i'm just about to start my second year...next monday. :/

For the most part of my time at Trent, I've felt like I don't really belong there. To the university itself and to the degree that I'm doing. Having had pretty good results at GCSE and three A's predicted at A Level, I let myself down completely when i got BBC in psychology, biology and chemistry respectively. As you are probably already thinking, those A levels are quite unrelated to Law with Spanish. The reason I chose this course was because initially I had applied for psychology but had failed to get the grades. I went through clearing, saw law with spanish (spanish being my other passion) and immediately felt attracted to it, probably because at that moment in time I felt rushed and panicked into picking a professional degree especially with my mother being at my side during the clearing process.

Now I've come to realise that I should've been true to myself the whole way. However my naivety and general apathy towards studying during sixth form got the better of me and I feel like a part of me has been lost because I know I'm so much better than this. Having a controlling mother who doesn't recognise the value of other jobs besides medicine, law, and engineering doesn't help either.

Anyway, sorry about the long rant. I've always been interested in philosophy and english and i've always wanted to go to a prestigious university like oxford or cambridge, or UCL.

My ideal university would be cambridge. However, what I want to ask is has anyone here taken an access course? Do I need one because I haven't taken the right A-levels (and haven't achieved good enough grades)? Will Cambridge accept this? Which access course would I have to take? And finally, am I being stupid and rash for wanting to do something so drastic, especially because I've left it so late?

I figure that if it's too complicated, then I'm just going to have to stick with Law with Spanish...at Trent, urgh.

Thanks for any suggestions or help.
    I'm on an access course and Cambridge do accept Access courses providing you meet the entry requirements.

I would have said drop out of uni and do the Access course then reapply this year for 2011 but Access courses are all full now so you would have to leave it until next year :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Also, consider that as you already have a L3 qualification you would have to fund the Access course yourself. There would be no student finance available. That is the downside. The good news is that you can get offers for good universities through Access. My offers for English and Philosophy were the result of following the Humanaties pathway.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.