Turn on thread page Beta

Do i have any chance of getting back into studying? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi people, Long time lurker on these forums but have just decided to join up.. I'll be honest from the bat, I was never into my studying like i should have been but alas something has triggered in me to become something more than i am now, Im just afraid i may be a tad too late? :confused: Heres my story, Went school got a few GCSE's went to college and studied at btec level, Passed my 1st year but had to be let off along with some other class mates due to my situation at that time. Was planning on taking just a years break to learn how to drive/get my license/get a job and save, Well i done all of those but that one year has creeped its way onto three :erm: I am now 20, (21 in april) And basically i want to something more with myself, I am working and earning okay, But not enough that live on it for the rest of my life.. So i just wanted to know if there was anyway i could study at uni level, Some people have told me to have a look at access courses, But i wanted more opinions. I dont know if this is the right room to post this in or if it will go down well but i didnt know where else to ask :erm: Any help will be much much appreciated. Thanks..

ReputationRep:
    Hey mate, congratulations on making the wise choice to enter back into education, well do you want to go straight to uni or re-do college? you could even possibly if you are a bright spark do external exam entries i.e apply for exams for a levels and then revise in your own time? this is what i did on a gap year did 2 a levels whilst working nights, however first decide what you want to do, your never too old we all make mistakes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jazzy118)
    Hi people, Long time lurker on these forums but have just decided to join up.. I'll be honest from the bat, I was never into my studying like i should have been but alas something has triggered in me to become something more than i am now, Im just afraid i may be a tad too late? :confused: Heres my story, Went school got a few GCSE's went to college and studied at btec level, Passed my 1st year but had to be let off along with some other class mates due to my situation at that time. Was planning on taking just a years break to learn how to drive/get my license/get a job and save, Well i done all of those but that one year has creeped its way onto three :erm: I am now 20, (21 in april) And basically i want to something more with myself, I am working and earning okay, But not enough that live on it for the rest of my life.. So i just wanted to know if there was anyway i could study at uni level, Some people have told me to have a look at access courses, But i wanted more opinions. I dont know if this is the right room to post this in or if it will go down well but i didnt know where else to ask :erm: Any help will be much much appreciated. Thanks..
    Firstly, it takes guts to do what you're doing. I (and a lot of other people)respect that hugely! Well done!

You have quite a few options - 20 is not too old at all! I've met people going to freshers with me who are 24 so you have loads of time! It's never too late to learn.

If you got reasonable GCSEs, then the best thing to do would get some A levels. You can do this a few ways but the main three would be in my oppinion:

1, Enrol in a VIth form college. I went to an all girls grammar and in VIth form we had girls who were 20/21 in our classes and they got along fine with everyone as they almost all did exactly what you have! Though one was there because she got very ill and was out of education for 4 years so then came back later.

2, Study in your own time and register for outside entry exams. the exam boards will be able to give you specifications and let you know where you nearest exam centres are.

3, Get a tutor and study alone. The same as above but if you finaces allow it get a bit of help from a trained professional.

Once you have A levels you can apply to unis, and remember you don't need AAA to get in everywhere! Plus depending on what jobs you've been doing in your 3 years out some unis might even count them towards your application as life skills. I know many have this route, but you have to apply in writing and then be able to supply references (probably to deter the people who have just wasted their time from trying to get an easy option).

Failing that, an internship/apprentiship, or on the job learning / open uni course might work too.

Whatever you choose, good luck and don't give up!!
    x

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for those quick replys guys, Appreciate it. I was thinking to go straight into uni level, But i reckon i will have to gain a few a levels under my belt.. I will have to look into the best way for me to do that.

ReputationRep:
    ah great too hear i feel getting a few a levels will be tha maximize your potential too best of luck, you can be external or attend uni its up to you, you just have to be willing to put in the time

ReputationRep:
    Keep your job and do part time Open University study in my opinion.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.