Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I've just booked a surprise trip to Paris for myself and my boyfriend as a Christmas present from the 29th Dec - 2nd Jan.

I'm looking for a bit of advice about firstly getting from the Eurostar destination in Paris (Paris Nord?) in to the city- how would you suggest to do it, taxi, bus, metro?

Secondly, because it is just before the next student loan installment (by about a week, boo!!) I'm going to be pretty skint... I know you'll say it's just after Christmas but my parents and his have contributed money towards the trip as our Christmas presents, and none of the rest of my family really give money. Is there anything you'd suggest we really should do for a reasonable amount of money, or what are the free things that we could expect to see? We both like art/architecture/christmas markets/boutiques and antiques and looovvee to eat.

To maximise the amount of time we have there I generally like to have a bit of a plan for each day hence the planning early. I appreciate that New Years Eve itself will be a great free night, and our hotel is 0.4 km from the Eiffel Tower so that's easy!

If anyone can talk from past experience at New Years or just give some general advice about Paris itself I'd be extremely grateful! Much as I love tripadvisor, its nice to get it from other students.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Firstly be aware that Paris is VERY expensive!! So if you can I would suggest you just buy food from a bakery for lunch and head away from the tourist spots where restaurants are a lot cheaper. I'm afraid McDonald's is one of your best options in terms of eating cheaply in the centre. Metro is awesome and a day pass means you'll be able to go around all you want, exploring loads and doing plenty free walking - I think there's a five day one you can get which will be best. A lot of attractions will let you in for free if you're an EU citizen under 26 so carry passports with you. Drink is very expensive so buy from supermarkets and don't expect to spend a lot of time in bars.

ReputationRep:
    Also go up the Arc de Triomphe instead, you can see the Tour Eiffel from it and it's free! Paris is the greatest city though and I'm sure you'll love it! So jealous!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollo)
    Also go up the Arc de Triomphe instead, you can see the Tour Eiffel from it and it's free! Paris is the greatest city though and I'm sure you'll love it! So jealous!
    Thanks so much for your responses Hollo, luckily Mc Donnalds is a guilty pleasure of both of ours so I think we'll be ok. As we're travelling by Euro star I might see if we can bring along lots of cereal bars/dry food to keep us going.

Am a bit nervous about how expensive it all will be but hopefully we can keep ourselves occupied! Will keep my ear to the ground about any free things.

Will also get the 5 day metro card; thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I went to Paris last winter and was amazed at the prices. Even the supermarkets are very expensive.
    I also love McDonalds, they prices there aren't too bad compared to most Paris cafes or restaurants.

I recommend going to the Louvre, it is a great day out and has some nice gardens nearby as well.
    Also see the Eiffel tower of course, and try to visit in the evening to see it lit up. Take a student card as some places give discounts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadow99)
    I went to Paris last winter and was amazed at the prices. Even the supermarkets are very expensive.
    I also love McDonalds, they prices there aren't too bad compared to most Paris cafes or restaurants.

I recommend going to the Louvre, it is a great day out and has some nice gardens nearby as well.
    Also see the Eiffel tower of course, and try to visit in the evening to see it lit up. Take a student card as some places give discounts.
    Thanks Shaddow! As we are entitled to two bags each I'm tempted to make one of those a designated pot noodle, cereal bar, biscuit and general dry food bag... I think perhaps on New Year's Day we might go and have a sit down meal, but I don't think it's going to be all lavish and lush like in the films! Lots of walking I expect and just looking at things...!

Bit of a silly question, but are the people nice there? And was it safe after dark etc (I know very general, and 'anywhere is dangerous if you aren't streetwise' but my bf's mum got pickpocketed/hounded by a couple of beggars for cigs etc. a couple of years ago)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OoFaithoO)
    Thanks Shaddow! As we are entitled to two bags each I'm tempted to make one of those a designated pot noodle, cereal bar, biscuit and general dry food bag... I think perhaps on New Year's Day we might go and have a sit down meal, but I don't think it's going to be all lavish and lush like in the films! Lots of walking I expect and just looking at things...!

Bit of a silly question, but are the people nice there? And was it safe after dark etc (I know very general, and 'anywhere is dangerous if you aren't streetwise' but my bf's mum got pickpocketed/hounded by a couple of beggars for cigs etc. a couple of years ago)
    People always complain about the attitude of the Parisians but really they're fine and in the centre people will be willing to help you out if you're lost etc - just don't go about acting like a dumb tourist. There are going to be some pickpockets with the number of tourists but as you said being streetwise should be enough unless you're unlucky. It's completely safe after dark, even on the metro in the middle of the night I felt perfectly safe in a pair of young foreign females. The usual street sellers might approach you but just be firm and polite and you'll be fine. All the sketchier neighbourhoods are far out and fairly obvious.

I would suggest visiting Versailles if you have a day to spare, you can go but train and it's beautiful (also free for under 26s!)

With the metro pass I think they have different ones for during the week and weekend but check it beforehand and you'll be fine. The metro is simple to navigate.

Any more questions just ask! I love Paris

ReputationRep:
    I've posted about Paris on here before; do a search for my previous posts on the subject. Plenty of free things to do here and ways to avoid the tourist traps. Enjoy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    I've posted about Paris on here before; do a search for my previous posts on the subject. Plenty of free things to do here and ways to avoid the tourist traps. Enjoy
    Thanks Angelil, and sorry for the late response! I've checked out your posts and they are extremely informative. Can't wait to go now, 11 weeks to wait!!

What is the weather likely to be like? I went to Austria around the same time a couple of yeas ago and it was full on snowing. Will it be the same? Or more like England. Not bothered either way really, but I'd like to go on one of the segway tours and am weighing up the chances of it being called off etc.

ReputationRep:
    EXTREMELY cold is your answer. There may or may not be snow but cold is guaranteed (colder than England; weather in general is more extreme here, being hotter in summer in Paris and colder in winter. Normandy and Champagne's climates are closer to that of the UK however). Bring an umbrella just in case - always handy - and possibly also wellies (I know, very romantic footwear :p: ).

ReputationRep:
    My gf and I will visit Paris for Christmas as well, we already booked the hotel for a week (22/12 - 29/12). Any tips on what to do on xmas night?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.