Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Thoughts on moving in with your partner watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Did/do you have any special rules before you move/moved in with him/her? Such as you have to be engaged or married? How old are you both? Have you finished university or still in uni? Or do you have a job? Are you having any problems?

I'm at that stage where we are thinking of moving in together, and would just like to know peoples thoughts

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    We were 19. He'd just finished his 1st year of uni and I moved up to be with him. We rented together ever since (3rd year living together now). I quit my job and found a new one there, he worked in hols (course didn't allow for term work). We got engaged after living together for a while. No rules. Everything just happened in its own time. We have no problems really, any small ones are work out quickly and smoothly. You just both have to make compromises and suport each other.

ReputationRep:
    living in/moving in together without marriage is a huge mistake, because there is no real commitment and most of the time one of the two will end up getting hurt and if they have kids it is even worse...

if two people really love each other and want to spend their lives together, why not get married? why the whole drama of moving in but being afraid of commitment

ReputationRep:
    So two completely different opinions then!

ReputationRep:
    i'd want to live with my partner for a good year or two before i got married to them. just as like a dry run as it were.

and if i had the option of living with them while at uni, I don't think i'd do it unless we'd been together a couple of years. An awkward breakup would be horrendous if we were stuck in the same house till the summer
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I was eighteen and he was twenty two We're still not married (I'm 21 and he's 24) or engaged (though we live pretty much as husband and wife).

We didn't have any rules really, it just happened because over the summer holidays I spent so much time at his place we basically said 'screw this, I'm paying rent somewhere I hardly ever go and not contributing in the place I am all the time' so I transferred my contract to a friend who needed a place and stayed here I think we'd been together for four months 'officially'.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.