Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hi everyone i have a problem Basically:

    in 08/09 i started a course at Teesside uni Called Extended science which is a access/ foundation course ran by the uni upon successful completion of the course you go on to a full-time degree course, this course (extended science) was charged at full tuition fees for the year. i passed extended science and i went on to my chosen degree which was forensic investigation and consumer law BSc.

    . long story short i had some problems during the year and i failed the year with no offer of a resit. i was advised to reapply for the first year of the degree again which was rejected after a few weeks of pesstering about part time university certificates for the same subject.. i got the call last week saying that they had a place for me on the first year of the degree full time, great news until i found out that i may not be able to get tuition fees for this year but they would fund the TFs for the 2nd and 3rd year and pay full the other loans and grants for all the years. ive been told by the chap in the student services that they use the formula: lenth of course +1 - years completed. now should it be my original Entitlement when i first applied for support which i make 4+1-2=3 naturally or is it 3+1-2=2 which obviously is what im being told..

    .. its frustrating because its going to take 6-8 weeks to sort out but my uni say if im there after 2 weeks i may get charged something great.. everytime i ring up they give me the company line so im not getting anywhere. the only advice i get is cant your parents pay, there both retired so no ive been on Jsa since i found out i failed which i still havnt recieved which is another story. ive unemployed for over two years now, with that my availability if i was to stay at uni and the lack of jobs locally i live in middlesbrough its hard to get a job. what? if any solutions are there for me. thanks

    Im having a similar problem, student finance say because i did a repeat year on a four year course (making it 5 years) i will not receive funding for my 1st year but will for my 2nd and 3rd.

    I get a repayable loan but that's not even enough to cover my living costs, was thinking it might be something to do with government cutbacks, i have no choice but to drop out right now.

University open days

  1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.