Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

GTTR Personal Statement 47 lines tech problem watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi has anyone else filled out the personal statement part of the pgce application, and written what they thought was 47 lines ,but then discover you have loads and loads of lines left, it says i have 38 lines left, but i cant, !! am i right in thinking that on word processor your application should be about a page long, because on the online form it seems to let me be able to do about 6 pages and also for the work experience part where your only allowed 20 lines they seem to be offering the same. So am i wrong in thinking you get a page to write or is the system messed up?

ReputationRep:
    I think they system is messed up!

ReputationRep:
    yeh i just spoke to them and they said to ignore what the computer says in term of how much lines and characters you have because its totally broken that system, so just trust your word processor

ReputationRep:
    I have the same problem and was wondering if it does let you save/complete anyway? The word count in Word and the GTTR word count never seem to match!:mad:

ReputationRep:
    This is also annoying me as I now do not know what I need to cut, or what I can add.

ReputationRep:
    Also, when writing the statement in Word, which part of the word count do you go by - "Characters WITH spaces" or Characters WITHOUT spaces" ??

Sorry if this is a really dumb question to ask; I've just become really confused with the whole GTTR system and nothing being accurate or working properly! It's making me really paranoid about everything! :mad: :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Its characters WITH spaces.

ReputationRep:
    I pasted one in it said I had 38lines left I wrote one more line and it was too full to fill up anymore!
    Annoying but I should have just left what I put in word, in the end I squeezed one extra line into it, hope it doesn't get cut!

ReputationRep:
    i've got the same problem - no matter what i enter for my ps i've always got 46 lines left. Should i copy my ps into the box and just count down 47 lines and cut the remaining overlap or send it off as it is? I'm worried the unis will only get half of my ps

ReputationRep:
    I heard that if the PS is over 47 lines any line over is cut. So how can we be sure that the word processor counts the lines properly as the margins can be changed font size etc. I really hope my statement doesn't get cut short.

ReputationRep:
    When you paste it in read it through check it is all there, then try and type a few lines of random junk on the bottom, ignoring what it says at the top it should stop you writing anymore after a couple of lines if you pasted in what you thought to be near the max.

Whatever the box on the site physically lets you (as in put spaces up to till you physically can't input more then delete them again) is what will be sent over to them, it shouldn't reprocess it again after and cut anymore than you see being cut, if it did that would be the oddest web application ever in terms of how it validates and verifies input data.

Also it would be obvious to the school you got cut off mid sentence and they would probably contact you for the full one via email, so don't worry.

I am holding back on sending mine just yet because I just started some voluntary work and it may give me something interesting to write about, is this wise or should I just send it off about experiences I have had already?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 15, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.