Turn on thread page Beta

Did he think of this as a date? watch

I was quite good friends with a guy from uni.

We left a year ago but hadn't seen each other since, but recently arranged to meet up. (we both live quite far away from each other)

We didn't really have a plan before we left but when I got there he said he had found a place to go to lunch at a nice restaurant and he brought the map for it with him. He offered to pay for lunch at the end, but I declined. He was also really gentlemanly the whole time, opening doors for me and stuff. He did ask if I was still with my former bf but that could have been curiosity. Also when I criticised myself at one point, he was like 'awww don't be silly' and it just felt kind of protective. He also seeemed to quite like explaining things to me, again which felt kind of protective.:p: After lunch, he kept asking me what I wanted to, but I just felt kinda awkward cos I wasn't sure if this was a date or just friends and I had to leave after a few hours to get to something else and he seemed kinda keen to leave then as well, but I'm not sure if that's cos I might have appeared disinterested.

However, because I had assumed we were friends I think I talked about what happened with my former bf a bit much and I wasn't sure how he felt which might have put him off. I also acted pretty shy when I got there cos I wasn't sure whether this was a date or what, so I was probably appearing boring/disinterested, even though I did smile loads cos he was so gentlemanly..but I just felt on edge because I wasn't sure how we were meeting

He hasn't contacted me since I met him 2 weeks ago and did seem to want to leave at the end (when I probably seemed a bit awkward)

So basically, do you think he did like me or just being a gentleman? And do you think he saw this as just friends or a date by offering to pay etc? ...or does he seem interested but I scared him away?

(Other stuff that might be relevant:
    While we are at uni and he was drunk one night i asked him if he found me attractive cos I got that impression but wasn't sure. He said he didn't want to tell me because I was with someone else at the time. However, eventually he did say yes while he was still drunk..and when at uni when we were both drunk and I'd hold his hand or dance with him close he wouldn't push me away. ...but I didn't know if he wasn't pushing me away to be a gentleman or whether it meant he was interested)

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I think he likes you.

It sounds like he holds a candle for you and perhaps the reason you felt he wanted to leave at the end of it was because he sensed your 'disinterest'. I put that in inverted commas lightly.

Are you interested? He seems like a nice guy and very polite.

However, I hold doors open for women all the time, which doesn't mean I fancy them all.

Perhaps he's just an extremely polite person and felt it was the mans role to pay for the bill or something? Not sure exactly but I do believe he likes you.

Question is, do you like him?

I'd say I'm confused at the moment as to what I want, but I'm definitely attracted to him and he when he was treating me like a gentleman I felt like I was going to swoon lol, I haven't felt like that I don't think before with any of my previous bf's, it felt amazing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'd say I'm confused at the moment as to what I want, but I'm definitely attracted to him and he when he was treating me like a gentleman I felt like I was going to swoon lol, I haven't felt like that I don't think before with any of my previous bf's, it felt amazing
    Then what are you waiting for. If you're single do something. These type of guys don't come along every day and you just let him go???

Girls should appreciate guys like him way more than they do.

ReputationRep:
    Give him a text, ask if he wants to meet up again. That way, you might actually find out :eek:

(Original post by Spanishdream)
    I think he likes you.

It sounds like he holds a candle for you and perhaps the reason you felt he wanted to leave at the end of it was because he sensed your 'disinterest'. I put that in inverted commas lightly.

Are you interested? He seems like a nice guy and very polite.

However, I hold doors open for women all the time, which doesn't mean I fancy them all.

Perhaps he's just an extremely polite person and felt it was the mans role to pay for the bill or something? Not sure exactly but I do believe he likes you.

Question is, do you like him?
    Sorry, didn't quote you when I posted the previous thing! But yeah, I don't know what to do now anyway because I feel like I've messed things up :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, didn't quote you when I posted the previous thing! But yeah, I don't know what to do now anyway because I feel like I've messed things up :woo:
    Err text him maybe suggesting meeting up again. It's not hard. Nothing happens unless you do something.

ok I guess I'll have to, I just didn't want to ruin the friendship in case I was way off here

ReputationRep:
    ok I guess I'll have to, I just didn't want to ruin the friendship in case I was way off here
    You don't have to do anything. But trust me he likes you. A relationship doesn't necessary ruin a friendship either.

ReputationRep:
    If it helps, compare what you remember of the date against this photo:
    http://www.skrewtips.com/img/dates_fruits.jpg

hahahaha. thanks so far guys

ReputationRep:
    Probably likes you. I wouldn't travel "far" for lunch with a "friend". I always hold doors open for women though, so Idon't seen anytihng there.

ReputationRep:
    He offered to pay. That makes me think that it was a date.

ReputationRep:
    Just text him! Youre both single and you have already explained to us how he made you feel and it would seem to me like he liks you so just go for it. You have nothing to lose and if things end up a bit awkward it wont matter so much because you have distance between you

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the rep if it were you who repped me.

Honestly, you should arrange to meet up and go for it. Like I said, he sounds like a nice guy and he treated you well.

Go for it! Carpe diem! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Sounds bloody obvious it was meant to be a date to me.

so i texted him 2 days ago almost now, just asking how he was... no reply :rolleyes:

also technically thinking about it i think i was the one who suggested we meet up but he seemed keen at the time

oh well..doesn't look good

ReputationRep:
    so i texted him 2 days ago almost now, just asking how he was... no reply :rolleyes:

also technically thinking about it i think i was the one who suggested we meet up but he seemed keen at the time

oh well..doesn't look good

Dont worry about it at all.

Trust me it would be better for you to try and fail rather than not try at all.. If you find out someones not intrested at least you can move on a bit better, if you leave it in a state of uncertanty you'll end up wishing you tried when its too late.

Must say sounds a bit surprising given how polite etc you said he was.

Id give him a week then give it one more last chance text (if hes really worth it) and if he dont respond then start the process of moving on and forgetting about him.

ReputationRep:
    I was quite good friends with a guy from uni.

We left a year ago but hadn't seen each other since, but recently arranged to meet up. (we both live quite far away from each other)

We didn't really have a plan before we left but when I got there he said he had found a place to go to lunch at a nice restaurant and he brought the map for it with him. He offered to pay for lunch at the end, but I declined. He was also really gentlemanly the whole time, opening doors for me and stuff. He did ask if I was still with my former bf but that could have been curiosity. Also when I criticised myself at one point, he was like 'awww don't be silly' and it just felt kind of protective. He also seeemed to quite like explaining things to me, again which felt kind of protective.:p: After lunch, he kept asking me what I wanted to, but I just felt kinda awkward cos I wasn't sure if this was a date or just friends and I had to leave after a few hours to get to something else and he seemed kinda keen to leave then as well, but I'm not sure if that's cos I might have appeared disinterested.

However, because I had assumed we were friends I think I talked about what happened with my former bf a bit much and I wasn't sure how he felt which might have put him off. I also acted pretty shy when I got there cos I wasn't sure whether this was a date or what, so I was probably appearing boring/disinterested, even though I did smile loads cos he was so gentlemanly..but I just felt on edge because I wasn't sure how we were meeting

He hasn't contacted me since I met him 2 weeks ago and did seem to want to leave at the end (when I probably seemed a bit awkward)

So basically, do you think he did like me or just being a gentleman? And do you think he saw this as just friends or a date by offering to pay etc? ...or does he seem interested but I scared him away?

(Other stuff that might be relevant:
    While we are at uni and he was drunk one night i asked him if he found me attractive cos I got that impression but wasn't sure. He said he didn't want to tell me because I was with someone else at the time. However, eventually he did say yes while he was still drunk..and when at uni when we were both drunk and I'd hold his hand or dance with him close he wouldn't push me away. ...but I didn't know if he wasn't pushing me away to be a gentleman or whether it meant he was interested)

Thanks
    Honestly?

if a girl did that to me I wouldn't talk to her again.

I hope the guy learned his lesson and never contacts you whatsoever.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 1, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.