Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    worse thing is.. I see all these people in my hall group on facebook who im going to live with and it can be quite intimidating!!

I guess Im just nervous about fitting in, finding friends ect.. cause we have all heard and known people who probably didn't like uni.

and its just the pressure of all that money your spending and it being 3 years....

any advice for freshers? making friends there ect..

ReputationRep:
    What uni are you going to?

ReputationRep:
    Relax, enjoy it, talk to everyone you can, initiate conversations in queues, sit with people on their own if you're somewhere on your own, accept that not everyone is looking at you if you are by yourself. Halls are the easiest place to make friends. I'd also suggest that you tell your parents in advance that you will want them to leave soon after your arrival because you want to go round making friends straight away. This means that you don't have time to panic or rely on them too much. If the timing is right, have lunch with them before you arrive, go supermarket shopping with them, or even show them the university if they've not seen it. That way they'll feel part of your day and can happily leave you fairly soon after your arrival in halls. Then go to the kitchen to chat if there's someone there or go round knocking on doors with biscuits, chocolates or alcohol in hand to introduce yourself and leave your door open to welcome later arrivals. You'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dtjgcvjngjmcg)
    What uni are you going to?
    Reading university

ReputationRep:
    I'm nervous too. But we just have to go with it. Just don't be afraid to talk to people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ballershowdown6)
    Reading university
    Me too, you can talk to me :p:

ReputationRep:
    Reading university
    Hey, I'm going to reading too and I'm just as worried as you are!
    If worst comes to the worst, we can always be social rejects together! :yep:
    what halls you in, classes you taking?
    I totally agree about the fbook pages thing! Seeing all the people that are going makes me feel all :eek3: inside XD

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mm_Minty)
    Hey, I'm going to reading too and I'm just as worried as you are!
    If worst comes to the worst, we can always be social rejects together! :yep:
    what halls you in, classes you taking?
    I totally agree about the fbook pages thing! Seeing all the people that are going makes me feel all :eek3: inside XD
    Im in windsor hall!!, howz about u?

ReputationRep:
    Im in windsor hall!!, howz about u?
    St pats, but it's always possible we'll bump into each other at some point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mm_Minty)
    St pats, but it's always possible we'll bump into each other at some point

yeah, its only a few days away!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    worse thing is.. I see all these people in my hall group on facebook who im going to live with and it can be quite intimidating!!

I guess Im just nervous about fitting in, finding friends ect.. cause we have all heard and known people who probably didn't like uni.

and its just the pressure of all that money your spending and it being 3 years....

any advice for freshers? making friends there ect..
    Hi!

Seriously everyone will be in the same boat! you will all be nervous! try not to worry about making friends ect your bound to meet people who are like you!. Just people you've heard some people who don't like uni does not mean you won't like uni!. Just be as nice as you can and introduce yourselfs to everyone! Good luck and all the best!.

ReputationRep:
    i'm going to reading & i'm pretty terrified as well!

ReputationRep:
    yeah, its only a few days away!!!!!!
    AHHHHHHHHH I'm so nervous D:
    But kind of excited too ^^

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.