Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

need an excuse for job interview! help! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i have a job interview next week. thing is, i applied for the job before , had an interview, didnt get the job cos of certain cirmumstances at the time. now i applied again, theyre calling me in for another interview, even though i told them i had one before.

it was a spur of the moment when i applied but now i dont want to go through the whole process again and plus this time im against 5 other applicants. and to be honest, its working with kids and thats not really my sort of thing. i jus applied cos its a higher pay than my job atm.

so i need a decent enough excuse to tell them that i wont/cant be attending the interview
    ?

ReputationRep:
    "Hi [Insert name of contact], I've decided to decline the opportunity to interview for the position I had applied for. Many thanks for your time, [Insert your name]."

ReputationRep:
    Just don't go. It's unlikely they'll chace you for it, so many people want a job and it's highly likely they'll find someone else suitable.

Otherwise just ring and say what the post before me has said.

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want the job just email the company and say you've decided to go in another direction. Simple as. Although if you're not doing it just because you don't want to go through the interview, then maybe you should think about because it's more money!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    "Hi [Insert name of contact], I've decided to decline the opportunity to interview for the position I had applied for. Many thanks for your time, [Insert your name]."
    This.

ReputationRep:
    Please at least phone with what the first reply said. It's extremely annoying to allocate the time for an interview and the person doesn't appear. Be a grown up about it.

ReputationRep:
    Just say another, better, job came up that you were successful on getting. I'm sure they get people not turning up all the time :P:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mozfadz)
    Just don't go. It's unlikely they'll chace you for it, so many people want a job and it's highly likely they'll find someone else suitable.

Otherwise just ring and say what the post before me has said.
    Do NOT do this OP, if word gets around that you just dont show up for interviews you may find it harder to get another one.

Just say that you are declining the role as you dont find it suitable you dont need an actual excuse

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.