Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well, I've picked out a few Unis that I would like to apply to to start in 2011, including Manchester, Sheffield, Warwick and Nottingham.
    However, these are all fairly high ranking Unis, a bit higher than Keele anyway, which is where I am at the moment.
    So I was wondering, should I apply to a couple of "lower" Unis, in case I don't get in to these ones? I don't know whether postgrad is competitive in the same way as undergrad.
    It's not impossible for me to graduate with a First this year but realistically I expect to get a good 2.1, somewhere in the 66-68% range.
    So... what level of University should I apply to with that kind of grade?
    If it helps I can write a ******* excellent personal statement.

Edit: I am looking at the rankings for Politics, because that is the subject area that I am going into, Political Theory specifically.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It isn't as competitive at the top universities I believe, and you can apply to as many as you want, so apply to the unis that you fit the requirements for and at least one should accept you

ReputationRep:
    Apply to Oxford and Cambridge as well.
    You never know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blueflare)
    Well, I've picked out a few Unis that I would like to apply to to start in 2011, including Manchester, Sheffield, Warwick and Nottingham.
    However, these are all fairly high ranking Unis, a bit higher than Keele anyway, which is where I am at the moment.
    So I was wondering, should I apply to a couple of "lower" Unis, in case I don't get in to these ones? I don't know whether postgrad is competitive in the same way as undergrad.
    It's not impossible for me to graduate with a First this year but realistically I expect to get a good 2.1, somewhere in the 66-68% range.
    So... what level of University should I apply to with that kind of grade?
    If it helps I can write a ******* excellent personal statement.

Edit: I am looking at the rankings for Politics, because that is the subject area that I am going into, Political Theory specifically.
    I went to Manchester Metropolitan and applied to Aberdeen, Bristol, Edinburgh, Lancaster, Newcastle, Oxford, Sheffield and York. I received offers from all but Oxford and I am about to begin my masters at Bristol next week. I was aiming for a first too, but finished with a high 2.1 after bombing on some of my finals; all the offers were 2.1 so it made no difference anyway. Apply to universities that you like with staff you would like to work with!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies, this looks reassuring.

I take rankings with a pinch of salt, but all the Unis seem to say "2.1 or above", which is not very specific, so I'm going by rankings to an extent to try and gauge how competitive they are likely to be.
    Looking again Manchester is way lower in the tables than I thought. I guess that's a back-up then. Manchester's an amazing city anyway.

It looks like I am pretty free to choose somewhere that I am going to be happy and stand a decent chance of getting in, awesome.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Blueflare)
    Thanks for the replies, this looks reassuring.

I take rankings with a pinch of salt, but all the Unis seem to say "2.1 or above", which is not very specific, so I'm going by rankings to an extent to try and gauge how competitive they are likely to be.
    Looking again Manchester is way lower in the tables than I thought. I guess that's a back-up then. Manchester's an amazing city anyway.

It looks like I am pretty free to choose somewhere that I am going to be happy and stand a decent chance of getting in, awesome.
    Don't do that. Very few of them are going to be seriously competitive anyway. Just look at the courses to see whether they suit your interests, make four or five applications, and unless you happen to be very unlucky, you should get at least one offer.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.