Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is it worth doing a 12 minute walk to train station to save £2.50 a day in bus fares? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I used to walk 9 hours, over two mountain ranges, in the dark, to save a tuppence hapenny charabanc ride.

tl;dr - yes.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm a few strange replies there, its just in the past when I have told someone that I walk somewhere they are like "but its only £3 return on the bus, why have the hassle of walking" etc

I do a lot of walking like I often do a hours walk to Asda supermarketee as its the only real supermarket I like despite having a Morrisons 15 minutes walk away and Tesco 20 minutes walk.

I suppose I will break down my OP into smaller chunks.

PLAN A = Walk to train station, get on train, get off train then walk to campus, total journey time about 37 minutes cost of £1.35 but 30 minutes of journey is walking.

PLAN B and C(as similar) walk to bus stop 5 minutes from house, get on Arriva bus for £2.80 all day ticket or First bus for £3.75 and journey takes about 25-35 minutes but drops you off almost outside university door.

I like walking but if I am in a rush in the morning and groggy I might be too tired to walk to station.

I suppose I could also say that the buses are 24 hours so if I go drinking I can get one back but the all day pass finishes at 1am

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jez RR)
    I used to walk 9 hours, over two mountain ranges, in the dark, to save a tuppence hapenny charabanc ride.

tl;dr - yes.
    Wow the kids of today have no attention span.

ReputationRep:
    2.5 * 60/12 = £12.50 an hour. That's not a bad rate.

ReputationRep:
    12 minutes is nothing!
    I have to walk for 45 mins off the train to uni- and I do that WITHOUT moaning or even thinking about getting a bus!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, man up.

ReputationRep:
    I'd either have a bus pass or not bother, you can always get the bus on the odd day when it's raining or you're tired, or you need to travel a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Scrap the Lord of the Rings trilogy, they should make a film about your epic struggle to the train station.

ReputationRep:
    Save the money, spend it on cigarettes.

ReputationRep:
    It's 12 minutes not 12 miles, right?

Don't be lazy. Keep the money for drinks.

ReputationRep:
    Just walk, you will save money and feel fitter. There is no need to get the bus for a 12 min walk.

ReputationRep:
    If you save £2.50 extra a day you can spend it on one more beer a day.

ReputationRep:
    If it's only 12 minutes then walk it, I would. The only reason that'd stop me if it was incredibly icy so you have to walk a lot slower - but then I am tight with money so i'd rather walk.

Is it a once off or daily occurance?

ReputationRep:
    I walk about 20 mins to save 80p, so the answers yes :P

ReputationRep:
    If you live 12 minutes from a train station and still get the bus then you my friend are a lazy *******.

ReputationRep:
    Even I'd walk that, and I'm the most lazy person I know :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    If you have a bike - take it on the train

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    I'd either have a bus pass or not bother, you can always get the bus on the odd day when it's raining or you're tired, or you need to travel a lot.
    :ditto:

(Original post by rich2606)
    Scrap the Lord of the Rings trilogy, they should make a film about your epic struggle to the train station.
    :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Of course it is! I'll walk 45 minutes to save 50p!

ReputationRep:
    I work part time and get paid £8 an hour so I get about £1.60 for 12 minutes work... ergo saving £2.50 for 12 minutes of effort is a no-brainer.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.