Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is it worth doing a 12 minute walk to train station to save £2.50 a day in bus fares? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rich2606)
    Scrap the Lord of the Rings trilogy, they should make a film about your epic struggle to the train station.
    :p:

ReputationRep:
    Haha I walk about 20 minutes to get to the Uni, no way would I pay for bus fare unless it was a really long day.

ReputationRep:
    Definately, that's £12.50 a week if you're doing it 5 days! I have a 15 min walk once a week and I still don't think it's worth shelling out the £1.50 to get the bus for it haha.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, it takes 20 minutes on average to walk a mile. 12 minutes therefore would be just over half a mile. Are you really telling me you'd shell out £2.50 daily to travel just over half a mile?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Depends how much you want that £2.50?

If you're willing to walk for 12 minutes for £2.50 then go for it bro.

ReputationRep:
    if you can afford to waste the money then take the bus, if not walk.
    I would probably walk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    The only circumstance in which I would prefer spending an extra £2.50 on a bus to walking for 12 minutes would be if both my legs were broken.
    this:yep:

ReputationRep:
    I have a similar situation.
    For me to walk to the town center in my town is a half hour walk. To go by bus is a £2.30 return ticket. The nearest stop is a 5 minute walk from my house. the bus ride is about 10 minutes. Usually have to wait 5 minutes for a bus. So is a 10 minute difference each way really worth the £2.30?
    Probably not. I still happily pay it because im lazy and don't like walking all the way to town.

ReputationRep:
    I would walk it, yes.
    I've spent 7 years walking 15 minutes to school and back again, and I actually quite enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    I used to walk 40 mins to school instead of getting the bus, 12 mins is not worth getting a bus for, I walk that every day to and from work!

ReputationRep:
    It's worth it. Physically set aside the £2.50 that you save each day and use it to pay off a bill or something when you have enough and you'll see how worth it it is.

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut: ofcourse it is!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Climbontoyourseahorse)
    Ok, it takes 20 minutes on average to walk a mile. 12 minutes therefore would be just over half a mile. Are you really telling me you'd shell out £2.50 daily to travel just over half a mile?
    This! :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    obviously. I take it to the extreme though and walk nearly an hour to avoid £2.50 fares. But then again I am only on £4.88 an hour in one of my jobs!

ReputationRep:
    Walk it, I generally only bus it for anything over half an hours walk (if I'm not carrying loads of stuff so might get a bus from town for instance if I've bought lots)

ReputationRep:
    Yes...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daniel bergmann)
    In a word: Yes

Plus the 12 min walk is good exercise. It's a no brainer really.
    I agree with this :yep:

ReputationRep:
    ffs it's a 15 minute walk :facepalm: it's exercise AND you don't spend more on buses than your actual trainfare. I don't know why anyone would actually consider taking a bus over that amount of time walking unless you're old, or already have a bus pass of some sort.

ReputationRep:
    Exercise will be good, then you got extra money too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mm_Minty)
    ffs it's a 15 minute walk :facepalm: it's exercise AND you don't spend more on buses than your actual trainfare. I don't know why anyone would actually consider taking a bus over that amount of time walking unless you're old, or already have a bus pass of some sort.
    Hmmm why did you say ffs and facepalm?! I am not asking out of studpidity or laziness but because people have called me tight for similar things before.

Then again I think its because a lot of people who say that to me are stereotypical students who get taxis to a club even if its 5 minutes walk away as they cant be bothered or its raining.

The whole point of the thread really was more about convenience.

Btw have people assumed the uni is 15 minutes walk? Its the train station that is 15 minutes walk, the uni is over 4 miles away and its 15 minutes to the station then from destination station to the uni.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.