Turn on thread page Beta

Is it worth doing a 12 minute walk to train station to save £2.50 a day in bus fares? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tashalls)
    Still not very far tbh
    Yeah that was why I started the thread as I thought it wasnt far but thought I was being tight for wanting to save cash by walking so far as have been told pretty much by people in the past(as I have said a few times in thread lol)

It just looks like seeing the replies that poeple seem to assume that I am crazy for even thinking about getting a bus.

ReputationRep:
    Assuming five day week

day: 2.50
    week: 12.50
    month: 50
    year: 650

ReputationRep:
    Oh damn i feel like one lazy ****. I used the bus to avoid walking 15 mins to Uni, and ended up paying £4 return each day. Tbh, if i had to do that journey again, i'd like to think i would choose to save the money and walk, but i tend to get lost quite easily :/

ReputationRep:
    12 minutes is a doddle. I've got a half hour walk or 70p for a 10 minute bus journey (one way) to uni from my halls, will walk when I can as even the smallest of savings can add up. And fyi, I have £30 a week to live off until Christmas, unless I can get a job. But yeah, I'd walk, the fitness benefit is good and plus it wakes you up in the morning. I found that out walking to school for the past 7 years.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Some people are so lazy.

ReputationRep:
    12 miles is hardly a long walk, my walk to college takes at least 30+ mins & if it's bad weather I just take a brolley. As a result I get some exercise & save a bit of money for beer. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    i agree that the content was a bit confusing, but while its not that bad weather i would definately walk. if it was tipping it down and really icy then i might consider the bus but only if it was really really bad weather.

i live 10 minutes or so from my uni,up quite a hill, and could get bus a couple of minutes from where i live if i really wanted to but for such a short distance it hardly seems worth it and neither does the 12/15 minute walk you have described.

ReputationRep:
    Walking is healthy and free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Some people are so lazy.
    Yeah they are, but whom are you referring to in particular.

ReputationRep:
    get a good self help book on the ipod, maybe a language tape, or a podcast in a subject your interested in, enjoy a nice refreshing walk, save money, learn something, and get some exorcise, win-win

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Assuming five day week

day: 2.50
    week: 12.50
    month: 50
    year: 650
    I buy 2 bottles of water a day, for the same cost, never thought about it, just do it, really adds up over the long term, almost 700 a year for water, wow, gonna start refilling them!

ReputationRep:
    The thread content was confusing, but based on the thread title... yes. A 12 minute walk is nothing, I wouldn't even consider a bus for that short a walk!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puddlove)
    The thread content was confusing, but based on the thread title... yes. A 12 minute walk is nothing, I wouldn't even consider a bus for that short a walk!
    Updated OP since people seem to not understand.

Its 12-15 minutes walk to train station not uni, then a 10 minute journey on traina nd 12-15 walk to campus all to save £2.50 but thought people might think I was petty and cheap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)

Its 12-15 minutes walk to train station not uni, then a 10 minute journey on traina nd 12-15 walk to campus all to save £2.50 but thought people might think I was petty and cheap.
    Nah, it's not petty or cheap at all Walking on a morning etc. can actually be really, really nice and get you awake and in the mood for the day, I used to enjoy it. I'd definitely do it, you can always get the bus if you're running late or it's really bad weather but otherwise you'll be saving money and keeping fit!

ReputationRep:
    Yes... you'll save money and do something thats healthy for you

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm why did you say ffs and facepalm?! I am not asking out of studpidity or laziness but because people have called me tight for similar things before.

Then again I think its because a lot of people who say that to me are stereotypical students who get taxis to a club even if its 5 minutes walk away as they cant be bothered or its raining.

The whole point of the thread really was more about convenience.

Btw have people assumed the uni is 15 minutes walk? Its the train station that is 15 minutes walk, the uni is over 4 miles away and its 15 minutes to the station then from destination station to the uni.
    your post is really all over the place I don't understand whether you're asking whether to get the bus instead of a 15 minute walk, or the bus for the 4 mile one??? or the bus instead of the train??
    and people haven't assumed anything, it was you who said 15 minutes walk, we didn't just pull that number out of the air! Your post is just too unclear for anyone to give you proper advice.

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    I've done a 35 minute walk to school for the last 7 years just because it isn't that far and in year 7 when I originally started walking to school was only 90p (now it's £1.90 - still saving less than you would be)

Man the **** up! It's only 12 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    It's only 12 minutes! Of course you should do it.

I walk for 40 minutes from my Uni into town to save £1.30.

These things add up you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsrstar)
    Oh damn i feel like one lazy ****. I used the bus to avoid walking 15 mins to Uni, and ended up paying £4 return each day. Tbh, if i had to do that journey again, i'd like to think i would choose to save the money and walk, but i tend to get lost quite easily :/
    How could you get lost making the same 15 minute journey every day? Have you seen someone about that...?

People understand, it just makes no difference.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.