Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I walked for about 30 minutes to save 90p (or whatever a London bus fair is).
    So I'd say yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mm_Minty)
    your post is really all over the place I don't understand whether you're asking whether to get the bus instead of a 15 minute walk, or the bus for the 4 mile one??? or the bus instead of the train??
    and people haven't assumed anything, it was you who said 15 minutes walk, we didn't just pull that number out of the air! Your post is just too unclear for anyone to give you proper advice.
    Well its clearly said 12 minutes walk to train station in the title and in the opening post.

If that is over the place then I dont know what people are reading!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 69Crazyfists)
    I've done a 35 minute walk to school for the last 7 years just because it isn't that far and in year 7 when I originally started walking to school was only 90p (now it's £1.90 - still saving less than you would be)

Man the **** up! It's only 12 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    Did you read it lol, its not 12 minutes walk to destination its 12 minutes walk to train station then a train journey and 15 minutes to uni.
    It's still not that far!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    How could you get lost making the same 15 minute journey every day? Have you seen someone about that...?
    I don't pay attention to the route. I commute to uni in a diff town, so i didnt know the area well at first, and thought i would get lost if i walked. :o: Now that im familiar with the route, i walk. It's a huge achievement for me lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elixira)
    It's still not that far!
    I think people still keep not realising the point, it wouldnt matter if the bus stop was 15 minutes walk and train station 25, I was asking if it was worth the effort to walk to the train station just to save some cash, people seem to be focusing on the fact that I have listed a quite short distance as not being far when thats not the point!

ReputationRep:
    A whole 12 minutes? Well slow down there, cowboy, wouldn't want to asphyxiate yourself with all that long distance walking.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Yes. Walk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lightnix)
    A whole 12 minutes? Well slow down there, cowboy, wouldn't want to asphyxiate yourself with all that long distance walking.
    I know, like when I do the hours walk to the supermarket to get my shopping I collapse every few minutes.

God damn people are quick thick these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Left Hand Drive)
    depends on the weather

srsly negged for this :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Look at it this way: you're getting some exercise, and you're the paid the rate of 12.50 an hour for doing it.
    Whether it's worth it depends on your financial situation: are you a wealthy student? Can you barely scrape together a couple of pennies every week for groceries? Are you saving for something?
    It shouldn't take too long to think about it, but if I were posed that question, I'd walk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkSenrine)
    Look at it this way: you're getting some exercise, and you're the paid the rate of 12.50 an hour for doing it.
    Whether it's worth it depends on your financial situation: are you a wealthy student? Can you barely scrape together a couple of pennies every week for groceries? Are you saving for something?
    It shouldn't take too long to think about it, but if I were posed that question, I'd walk.
    Nah I'm poor which is one of the main reasons I asked it, £2.50 might not be much on its own but it adds up, just like I have said a few times on thread people in the past have called me tight or stingy for say wanting to say walk instead of getting the bus.

I had a similar situation a few years ago, bus stop 3 minutes walk from house and was £2.50 return, train station was 10 minutes if I rushed or 15 if I didnt but was 80p but often cost nothing as conductor rarely came round so I got the train quite happily bar say when I had been say travelling for a few hours visiting family and just wanted to get on bus as was exhausted.

And to everyone that reads the thread, I never said anywhere that the 12 minute walk bothered me just that I thought I might be being tight to not get the bus.

ReputationRep:
    run, then it's only a 6 minute journey

ReputationRep:
    so the uni is 4 miles away?
    if it's reasonably flat you should just buy a bike; you'll get fitter AND it'll save you loads of money in the long run, plus it'd only take about 20 minutes
    i'd cycle to uni every day from here and it's 14 miles away. the reason i don't? because i don't fancy cycling back up the hill at mile number 13 on the way home after a hard slog
    also it would take longer than getting the train, whereas for you it most likely wouldn't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munn)
    so the uni is 4 miles away?
    if it's reasonably flat you should just buy a bike; you'll get fitter AND it'll save you loads of money in the long run, plus it'd only take about 20 minutes
    i'd cycle to uni every day from here and it's 14 miles away. the reason i don't? because i don't fancy cycling back up the hill at mile number 13 on the way home after a hard slog
    also it would take longer than getting the train, whereas for you it most likely wouldn't
    Hmm I dont know the area though its interesting to know and would be a bit worried cycling through the centre of Glasgow from near Paisley area at busy times!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I dont know the area though its interesting to know and would be a bit worried cycling through the centre of Glasgow from near Paisley area at busy times!
    there's a cycle path from canal street in paisley that runs to the secc
    though i'd say it's more than 4 miles
    just as i thought, it's more like 8 miles, though if you're about 12 minutes walk to the station i'm assuming you're meaning gilmour street and so therefore are closer to say... gallowhill?

ReputationRep:
    It's not being tight to not get the bus (excuse the double negative). I'd say the concept of "tightness", or rather, parsimony, is only applicable to situations that affect other people.
    Do you never pay for other people's drinks? Are you not prepared to do your fair share of housework when the situation demands it? Do you recycle wrapping paper from other people to wrap up other people's presents at Christmas?
    Taking a walk instead of the bus is just an example of saving money. Nowhere near tight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munn)
    there's a cycle path from canal street in paisley that runs to the secc
    though i'd say it's more than 4 miles
    I am quite close to the Govan area so Paisley itself is still a few miles down the road I assume(though about 6 minutes on train) so I guess halfway between Paisley Gilmour Street and Glasgow Central

ReputationRep:
    I am quite close to the Govan area so Paisley itself is still a few miles down the road I assume(though about 6 minutes on train) so I guess halfway between Paisley Gilmour Street and Glasgow Central
    the govan area what?
    there's no place anywhere near govan i'd consider within walking distance of gilmour street. even hillington would be a 45 minute walk minimum

http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/Gl...oute-4486.html

there's the cycle route anyway, maybe if you're closer to crookston area or something then it's ideal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munn)
    the govan area what?
    there's no place anywhere near govan i'd consider within walking distance of gilmour street. even hillington would be a 45 minute walk minimum

http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/Gl...oute-4486.html

there's the cycle route anyway, maybe if you're closer to crookston area or something then it's ideal
    I wasnt meaning that Gilmour Street was 12 minutes walk if thats what you meant, its 12 minutes walk from Cardonald station which is about 7 minutes each direction to Central or Paisley.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.