Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is it worth doing a 12 minute walk to train station to save £2.50 a day in bus fares? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    I wasnt meaning that Gilmour Street was 12 minutes walk if thats what you meant, its 12 minutes walk from Cardonald station which is about 7 minutes each direction to Central or Paisley.
    ah, i got confused when you said between gilmour street and central
    if i'd read halfway then that would have made perfect sense, but yeah the cycle route goes right past cardonald and corkerhill stations
    just cycle!

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm why did you say ffs and facepalm?! I am not asking out of studpidity or laziness but because people have called me tight for similar things before.

Then again I think its because a lot of people who say that to me are stereotypical students who get taxis to a club even if its 5 minutes walk away as they cant be bothered or its raining.

The whole point of the thread really was more about convenience.

Btw have people assumed the uni is 15 minutes walk? Its the train station that is 15 minutes walk, the uni is over 4 miles away and its 15 minutes to the station then from destination station to the uni.
    I went to one college by train and walked to the station each time about 20-30mins then 15+mins the other side to college.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Good for the auld health too.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh you should definitely just walk, it will save money...

UNLESS you live really far away from town and the bus pass includes travel to town, in which case it would make life a lot more convenient.

ReputationRep:
    er yah! No question about it. Unless you're a lazy bugger.

ReputationRep:
    Urgh not so much mate. You started this stupid thread, then worded it badly, then failed to explain yourself properly. Save your facepalms...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Save the money, spend it on cigarettes.
    Thats exactly what I was going to say :p: .Walking is good for you.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm why did you say ffs and facepalm?! I am not asking out of studpidity or laziness but because people have called me tight for similar things before.
    sounds pretty lazy if you ask me...

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Imagine you were earning £2.50/12 minutes. That's £12.50 an hour. 10 minutes walking is nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Work out what it would average over a day if you got an annual student bus pass, then see if it's worth it.

ReputationRep:
    24 minutes of walking for £2.50, would you say no to £6.25 an hour for walking? If you wouldn't, you should walk.

ReputationRep:
    Get the train.
    12 mins is nothing.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yeah they are, but whom are you referring to in particular.
    To anyone that would pay that much to avoid a short walk even though it takes the same amount of time! I cite the countless examples on this thread of people walking much, much further every day as evidence.

ReputationRep:
    I'd definitely walk...apart from maybe on icy days when the pavement is dangerously slippery. I used to walk 2 miles each way up hill every day to get to uni to save £3.30 a day on bus fares.

ReputationRep:
    Yes Walk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 69Crazyfists)
    Urgh not so much mate. You started this stupid thread, then worded it badly, then failed to explain yourself properly. Save your facepalms...
    Surely if you were as intelligent as you think you are you would know what I was talking about.

Moron.

ReputationRep:
    Yes as it will not monly save you money but be good for you..

ReputationRep:
    i've just realised anyway, you're from glasgow aye a student first bus pass costs £80 or so for 10 weeks and that gets you onto any first bus within about a 15 mile radius of glasgow, that's about 1.60 a day if you're in uni every day
    if we're saying it takes 45 minutes all in for the train, then presumably it's the same back.
    the question is, is 30p worth 30 minutes of your time?

also i take it you're getting a child ticket if you're getting the train at that price as it costs me £1.60 for a single for one stop, that will surely end soon and you'll be paying double the price
    just buy a bus pass

ReputationRep:
    i`m walkin to uni myself .. it`s "only" 30 mins away/20 if i walk xtremly fast ) --just like the doctor say it`s good for ye health =)) .. and i`ve saved around 1000punds/year ... with that cash .. i can go home n return.. twice =))

ReputationRep:
    Surely if you were as intelligent as you think you are you would know what I was talking about.

Moron.
    Go on then, explain to me in a sentence what it is that I've missed that makes me such a moron. Please.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.