Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi been having a problem today with my clio, 2005 1.2 petrol.

Yesterday did South London to Birmingham with heavy load in car with no problems.

This morning I was on the M6 for a few mins and the car couldn't do more than 50 or so. It would accelerate normally then eventually lose power so you could have your foot to the floor and not get any acceleration. Luckily there was some lorries about so the slow lane was slow enough, got off the motorway and having the same problem through all the gears. After being in one gear for a while it just stopped accelerating (e.g. unable to get above 30 in third when problem happening - not getting high revs either). To then get any power again I could either bring the clutch up and down or at lower speeds coming off the accelerator and seemed to work.

This doesn't happen all the time, probably every 30 secs or so, managed to get it home on side roads. It was also making some dodgy noises turning over whilst stopped at one point - but not the rest of the time?

So I'm guessing clutch or fuel issue? But have a limited knowledge of cars. Anyone got any idea what it might be so I've got an idea before I head to a garage?

Should also add that it had a service + MOT done last week.

Edit - In fact after more reading my completely amateur assessment is clogged fuel filter, but I really don't know much?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a misfire of some sort.

These can be caused by a multitude of things, including clogged filters and broken coil packs. This is what I would look at first because it is the cheapest things to replace!

In addition, if it had a service last week, then have a look at what was replaced, maybe something wasn't put back together again properly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Sounds like a misfire of some sort.

These can be caused by a multitude of things, including clogged filters and broken coil packs. This is what I would look at first because it is the cheapest things to replace!

In addition, if it had a service last week, then have a look at what was replaced, maybe something wasn't put back together again properly?
    Cheers, a mate of my brother's agreed to have a look at what he thinks is wrong. Went to take it round earlier and the car was absolutely fine, back at full power. He checked quite a few things and said they're fine.

The service was pretty much oil change + filter, some aircon things and valet; nothing I could imagine causing those effects..

So no idea what is (or was) wrong with it, just hoping the problem doesn't come back now!

Thanks for the suggestions, did help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jk1986)
    Cheers, a mate of my brother's agreed to have a look at what he thinks is wrong. Went to take it round earlier and the car was absolutely fine, back at full power. He checked quite a few things and said they're fine.

The service was pretty much oil change + filter, some aircon things and valet; nothing I could imagine causing those effects..

So no idea what is (or was) wrong with it, just hoping the problem doesn't come back now!

Thanks for the suggestions, did help.
    How old is the car? By that service it sounds like it is within 3 years old? If it is, I would suggest taking it to a garage and getting them to plug it into their OBDII reader and scan for fault codes, within warranty.

That problem sounds electrical if it is intermittent like that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    How old is the car? By that service it sounds like it is within 3 years old? If it is, I would suggest taking it to a garage and getting them to plug it into their OBDII reader and scan for fault codes, within warranty.

That problem sounds electrical if it is intermittent like that...
    Car is five years old, as it says in the OP - Clio, 2005.

ReputationRep:
    Whoops!

Although now that I have seen the car, Renault's are well known for having faulty coil packs which would cause that problem. My ex's megane used to eat them, similar age to that and it was the 1.4 as well. Used to start with a lack of power, get better and then fail completely. Was only £40 to replace though.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks guys, will look into the coil pack issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Whoops!

Although now that I have seen the car, Renault's are well known for having faulty coil packs which would cause that problem. My ex's megane used to eat them, similar age to that and it was the 1.4 as well. Used to start with a lack of power, get better and then fail completely. Was only £40 to replace though.
    Turned out to be a buggered spark plug, which is a result really..

We ran it through diagnostic machine, came back with tons of codes, cleared them and went for a drive. Decided to go with fresh plugs (the original one's all looked pretty much done). Put it through a few days use, it ran fine, went back to my mate with the machine and found no codes. Pretty happy all in all, gave my mate £50 for the plugs and his time, glad it wasn't something more serious!

ReputationRep:
    Result!

Poll
Are you going to a Festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.