Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How helpful would it be to be able to put a new language on the CV while applying for TC/pupillage?

I am considering learning French. But I am in my second year LLB now and my timetable is already pretty full! So another class certainly crowds my schedule. So wondering if its worth the effort. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    It is obviously an advantage to be able to speak another language when applying to firms that have strong international practices. However, if your timetable is already full then I would be concerned that (a) you wouldn't be able to dedicate enough time to your language studies to get yourself to a level of competence that a firm would be interested in; and (b) if you did spend enough time on your language studies, your LLB studies might suffer and you might end up with poorer grades than you otherwise would do.

You number one priority should be getting good grades in your LLB, closely followed by extracurriculars (for example: volunteering, debating, university society positions, sport, etc.). I would have thought that the vast majority of people who are successful in getting Training Contracts don't speak another language and so it certainly isn't necessary .

ReputationRep:
    I speak French and Russian to a good standard - I did my BA in them. When applying for TCs no-one ever showed any interest in my French. They were interested in my Russian but most asked whether I could speak it well enough to practice in Russian, and with the best will in the world you aren't going to get to that standard learning in your spare time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fysidiko)
    I speak French and Russian to a good standard - I did my BA in them. When applying for TCs no-one ever showed any interest in my French. They were interested in my Russian but most asked whether I could speak it well enough to practice in Russian, and with the best will in the world you aren't going to get to that standard learning in your spare time.

I speak Russian as well, although probably not to the highest of standards. I could improve it relatively easy though. I am starting Modern Standard Arabic Studies next week as well, although I had a hard time deciding between that and French.

ReputationRep:
    definitely, but for european languages the 'wow' effect is not so muc. french is a necessary language for many law firms international depts from what my cousin told me. in fact wouldnt be surprised if they made it mandatory soon. however, if its an interesting language theyd be impressed, i imagine. hell , thats why im trying to get fluent in japanese.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phantom_X)
    French is a necessary language for many law firms international depts from what my cousin told me. in fact wouldnt be surprised if they made it mandatory soon.
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommehR)
    :confused:
    My thoughts exactly.

ReputationRep:
    As of now, I am leaning more towards the Bar than the firms. After more research, I figured that a new language really doesnt add much to the CV when it comes to pupillages. So decided to use my time (if I have any to spare!) volunteering... thanks all for the inputs!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.