Turn on thread page Beta

Total Course Change Advice - French to Primary Education watch

    • Thread Starter

    Not sure if this is in the right forum, but I hope I can still get some advice from it!

    I'm about to start my 2nd year studying French at Uni of Sussex, but have had a sudden change of heart. I've always known that I wanted to become a Primary School teacher, and the plan was to complete my PGCE once I'd finished my 4 year French degree.

    Now, I'm realising that I really, really wish that I'd taken my degree in Primary Education and gone straight into it that way. I love my French, and while I enjoyed my first year I feel no real interest or excitement for the course content and don't want to waste my time. I was hoping Sussex might offer it, (wishful thinking that I'd only have to transfer courses) but then realised it would mean a whole new application through UCAS to Brighton Uni.

    What's the best option here...since I'm literally about to start the term, have my loan and everything then should I complete this year, applying this winter to do Primary Education at Brighton Uni - since I can still continue to share my house with my friends for the next few years? It's scary, when you think you're all set for the next couple of years, and then realise you want to change your mind big time! Anyone who's done something similar, also with advice on the application for teaching would be great to hear from. Ta!

University open days

  1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.