Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I've decided to take a gap year, but still apply this year. When applying next year, I've realised that it would be a bad idea to apply to unis that would have rejected me this year, so I've got four in mind I will apply to this year and four next year.

However, if i get a low UKCAT score this year, will unis next year see it? Also will they be less likely to accept me rather than other candidates because I took a gap year and got rejected by other universities?
    Thanks for the help!

ReputationRep:
    They won't see your UKCAT score from this year because you will need to take it again for each application year. As far as I know, if you don't get in this year and apply to four different dental schools next year, they won't have access to your application from the year before because you will have applied to different universities. If you use your gap year wisely, it won't disadvantage you! Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chipsnfish)
    Hey guys I've decided to take a gap year, but still apply this year. When applying next year, I've realised that it would be a bad idea to apply to unis that would have rejected me this year, so I've got four in mind I will apply to this year and four next year.

However, if i get a low UKCAT score this year, will unis next year see it? Also will they be less likely to accept me rather than other candidates because I took a gap year and got rejected by other universities?
    Thanks for the help!
    If you take a gap year, no one will look less favourably on you as long as you do something useful with your year off (ie. more work experience, volunteering or a relevant job etc).
    If you apply next year you have to take your UKCAT test again. The uni's will only see your score from the year that you are applying, so if you apply next year, they will only see next year's UKCAT score, not the one from this year.

So basically, it's well worth applying this year and if you don't get a place, use your gap year wisely, redo your UKCAT next year and reapply! Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Also, may i ask who writes your reference in the second year?

ReputationRep:
    Oh and thanks for the replies but you guys didn't address the issue of whether you can apply to a uni in a second year if they rejected you initially...i would like to no

ReputationRep:
    Also, may i ask who writes your reference in the second year?
    Generally it's not a problem for your school to provide a reference for a few years after you finish.

Oh and thanks for the replies but you guys didn't address the issue of whether you can apply to a uni in a second year if they rejected you initially...i would like to no
    Yes, you can apply again after being rejected; collegiate universities tend to recommend you apply to a different college, and you would obviously have to show how you've improved since the first application.

ReputationRep:
    You will need to check the websites of the various different dental schools. Some of them will let you reapply, some will only let you reapply if you were rejected BEFORE interview, and some won't let you reapply at all. So check which schools allow this before you decide.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2010
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.