Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Neuroscience. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Toe)
    I'd love to go to nottingham but they don't so biomedical science ..just neuroscience and biochemistry. I'm very very interested in neuroscience but my personal statement is very medical orientated :/

Do you go Notts??
    Yes, yes I do. What gave me away? :p:

I'm a 2010 Fresher so only started just over a week ago (seems like far, far longer to be honest) and it is simply awesome.

ReputationRep:
    probs will be my insurance...in the future

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to Oxford for biomedical sciences, which allows you to gain a degree in either cells and system biology, or in Neuroscience. I'm leaning towards the latter, as I find it mind boggling.

EDIT: Sorry if this comment is off topic.

(Original post by hiddenforce)
    i have read a book called 'neuroscience: exploring the brain'
    All 900 pages?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vitamortis)
    All 900 pages?
    hahahaha no ofcourse not , just the relevent parts i found interesting

(Original post by hiddenforce)
    hahahaha no ofcourse not , just the relevent parts i found interesting
    They are all interesting! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I've just notcied I didn't talk about my work experience/books read that much.

I've done one week at King's college hospital shadowing various medical professionals. The only Neuroscience related stuff I did was attened a kind of lecture where a few case studies were looked at. Barely understood anything, though.

I've read the man who mistook his wife for a hat and while reading it got quite interested in Korsakoff's syndrome. Did some research on the internet.

Also worked in a care home for a year.

Can anyone suggest any other Neuro related books? I really should read more.

Also, I contacted some people from admissions at King's and UCL and they said that they're used to getting personal statements that are geared towards medicine, though UCL did say that they may invite you to write another personal statement that is Neuro related.

(Original post by Acta Non Verba)
    Can anyone suggest any other Neuro related books? I really should read more.
    Neuroscience is a wide field, so it depends what aspect of it you most enjoy. Some of it is boring, whilst some of it is life changing. But to fully grasp the concepts within neuroscience, I would recommend reading textbooks. If however you just enjoy popular science books, then Phantoms in the Brain by Ramachandran is quite good. Although it is necessary to know the major concepts, it is also valuable that you are able to think in abstract and philosophical terms.

ReputationRep:
    im also thinking of applying to study neurosciences since i did bad in my ukcat recentley. if i do decide to study neurosciences, will i then be able to switch to medicine and get a phd ?? ive allways wanted to study medicine but my chances are slim due to my poor ukcat. so can i still study it after going through the neuroscience route ?? and would u recommend i do this ? or just simply apply for non ukcat medicine unis.

ReputationRep:
    I applied for Neuroscience at Manchester last year, as well as Medicine at Manchester and other unis.
    The Life Sciences department didn't care a jot that my PS was obviously geared towards Medicine, they sent me an email requesting a Neuroscience PS and I got invited for interview.
    By the looks of it all the Life Sciences applicants had been invited for interview on the same day, and the very nice professors told us that if we'd made it this far we were pretty much guaranteed a place.

GCSEs: 2 A*s, 8 As, 2 Cs
    AS levels: BBBCE (Financial literacy, Chem, Bio, English Lit and Maths in that order)
    A2 predicted: AAAC

They gave me an offer of AAB but told me that if I'd gotten as low as BBB I would have been let in.

(However I got the Medicine offer as well, but missed it by 5 marks Oh the harshness of AQA English exams.)

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to bump an old thread up, but I thought it would be better to do this than create a completely new thread.

I'm just wondering the kind of job prospects that someone with a degree in Neurology would have. (That are related to the field)

What are the big areas of research at the moment, the big questions being asked?

I could most likely find these out for myself but I'm lazy. D:.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 4, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.