Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Illegal downloading... watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Illegal downloading?
    Agree with it
    72.25%
    Disagree with it
    9.25%
    No opinion/Don't care
    18.50%

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys think of it - do you agree or disagree with it and why (this is for my blog), so in depth arguments are good Please use the poll to submit your opinion if you CBA to write anything
    And I don't mean just illegal downloading of music - movies, TV, games, books, software e.c.t

Yes I agree with it because I don't really want to buy an album to discover it's ****. Or really waste the effort going out to get it or having to wait if I order it from the internet. The only real argument against it is that it's stealing and it's morally wrong but in all honesty I couldn't care less because it's well known that bands make most of their money from live shows and downloading is more convienient for me.

ReputationRep:
    I like to sample things. I often get a CD from a library or search things on YouTube but its sort of the same principle - I haven't paid the artist for their music.
    If I like a CD enough then I will buy it or pay for a legal download from Amazon or iTunes.
    I find it similar to getting a book out of the library and reading it to see if I like it and then if I will get myself a copy.

So I guess I'm for it, I just do it in a more legal way than downloading it off the internet - because I'm scared of getting caught.

ReputationRep:
    No opinion. I'm going to be boring and sit on the fence.

ReputationRep:
    I've voted 'agree'. Ironically, if I was an artist I wouldn't want people illegally downloading my work.
    I'm not, so ;D

ReputationRep:
    There's a group/page on facebook about that piracy advert that used to come on at cinemas before a movie "you wouldn't steal a car would you?"...."I would if I could download it!" :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dancingrobots)
    What do you guys think of it - do you agree or disagree with it and why (this is for my blog), so in depth arguments are good Please use the poll to submit your opinion if you CBA to write anything
    And I don't mean just illegal downloading of music - movies, TV, games, books, software e.c.t
    You should read this: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...er-factory.ars

I seldom do it these days and it's typically for TV shows that are out in the US before the UK, like Big Bang Theory and Stargate Universe.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If it wasn't for illegal downloads how many artists wouldn't have been discovered. Illegal downloading is not always bad, it's great tool for marketing. It's why companies like Microsoft aren't too hard on piracy especially in Asia because you would rather have millions using illegal copies of Windows rather than illegal copies or genuine copies OSX. It means they are far more likely to buy an authentic copy down the line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daniel bergmann)
    No opinion. I'm going to be boring and sit on the fence.
    Its not boring I'm glod you voted because I am doing a paragraph about people who don't really care about downloading or know what it is :p: and if I didn't want people to say I don't care, I wouldn't have put the option there, si I'm glad you answered

ReputationRep:
    Yes. It is very beneficial to all parties involved, especially the producers/developers, and has no downsides apart from a ****** law.

But really most pirates download as a 'try before you buy' type thing and if they think they've downloaded is good they will support the developer and pay for it.

ReputationRep:
    I see it as stealing and it's unfair on the artist. I don't mind if you download something and then buy it if you like it but people who illegally download stuff they like are stealing.

ReputationRep:
    I do it, generally I use Spotify tbh and just stream the music.. but to put stuff on my ipod I don't really like listening to whole albums generally.. I just want one or two songs.. and I just dload them illegally.

I also dload Glee because it comes out in the US before here.. and I'm too impatient to wait!!

ReputationRep:
    I kinda agree with that dude from Elbow (minus the 'adults that don't pay can go to hell' part :erm: ) : that it might not be right from a moral point of view, but it's certainly understandable from a money point of view. Will be interesting to see if our generation actually does start paying when they're older and on a decent income though...

:holmes:

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with it, but still do it. But only because it cost so much money to download one song. If they made each song 25p or something, then I would definatly buy it legally on itunes.

ReputationRep:
    Ohh and also, does streaming videos online count as illegal downloading? Becasue I am actually a megavideo whore...

ReputationRep:
    i use it for various things but never games or software (i find them too awkward to install from download)

but like 99.99999999% of people i have downloaded the odd things off the internet

ReputationRep:
    The thing is, while illegal downloading sucks for record companies, it's awesome for artists. In reality artists make the majority of their money out of gigs, as singles very rarely turn a profit unless they go international and most albums whilst making a profit, don't leave much left over after the record company, producers, writers etc have taken their share, so gigs are the way forward. Through illegal downloading their music is heard more and more people buy their tickets I.E MORE MONEY.

Having said that, it's still illegal. If the record companies want to combat it they need to change a) The way songs are released (i.e put them on itunes as soon as they get sent to radio like they do in the USA) and b) Lower prices (Simple supply and demand).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Artists don't even make much of their money off record sales the only person you arew hurting are record companies and even then its barley a scratch on their profits despite what they would have you belive

ReputationRep:
    I don't care whether it's illegal, legal, morally wrong, morally right, morally ambiguous... I'm going to carry on downloading music and films. I care not for the arguments behind it.

ReputationRep:
    I'll put some input into this too.
    I do sometimes illegally download, but I usually do it to see if its any good - like true blood. I couldn't actually find and episode to watch online, and I'm a student - I'm not going to spend a ridiculous amount on a TV episode to find I don't like it. But I did (although not as much as TVD) and I brought it on DVD and deleted the illegal download If I can buy stuff cheap though, I will because its quicker for me to drive to the shops and buy the DVD than to download something because my internet is impossibly slow

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.