Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Illegal downloading... watch

• View Poll Results: Illegal downloading?
    Agree with it
    72.25%
    Disagree with it
    9.25%
    No opinion/Don't care
    18.50%

ReputationRep:
    I use to do it a lot, but soon stopped.

If I do do it, I have restrictions in place.

E.g. I will only download something if I already have it. For example; a disc broke for a dvd, I would download that - I would not go out to buy a new copy of that DvD, as I have already paid for it; same goes for software (If I lost an activation code).

ReputationRep:
    nobody brother to pay today!

ReputationRep:
    Music, Software (mainly Office, and Rosetta Stone language programs) and games for emulators (but only If I can't find them on Ebay or they are too expensive like Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Breath of Fire)

ReputationRep:
    The other day on the radio (yes i listen to the radio.. ), a caller got asked how much music she had, and she said about 40 GB.
    There is NO WAY that is all legally downloaded, and the guy on the radio was just like, wooow, you must have so may songs and bought so many albums ... :palmface: and then they discussed her favourite singer/music blah blahhh

On topic : It really is an "amazing" thing to be able to get hold of music so easily, which you otherwise may not have heard of. If you really like the artist, you can support them by going to see them live.. (thats what i do anyways)
    Also, if you can just listen to the songs on youtube, (over and over again? ) you may as well just download it, and save the hassle, and be able to have it on your ipod or whatever too.

ReputationRep:
    I totally disagree with it. Especially, the illegal downloading of music. If I love an artists/band then I'm certainly going to give them something back. Of all the money that people spend on overpriced **** products these days, it doesn't seem right that people don't pay for our music. Which is one of the most honest industries out there. Probably, because of careless people illegaly downloading music just to fill up their ipods, concert prices will go up majorly.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with it. With the majority of things, whether or not people download them, the producers still get a hefty about of money..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachelll=))
    Ohh and also, does streaming videos online count as illegal downloading? Becasue I am actually a megavideo whore...
    If it is copyrighted material, then yes indeed.

(Original post by supernova92)
    The other day on the radio (yes i listen to the radio.. ), a caller got asked how much music she had, and she said about 40 GB.
    There is NO WAY that is all legally downloaded, and the guy on the radio was just like, wooow, you must have so may songs and bought so many albums ... :palmface: and then they discussed her favourite singer/music blah blahhh
    It is perfectly possible for it to all be legal. Some people buy a lot of CDs, you don't know how old she is/how long she's been buying CDs for, how many a month she buys, what bit rate she rips them in. Likewise, you don't know how many albums she downloads from iTunes/Amazon etc.
    Then there's the artists that allow you to download their music free, who says all her music is commercial crap?
    Of course chances are some of her music is illegally downloaded, but you can't jump to conclusions about someone you don't know. If it was impossible to have that much legal music then record companies would be kicking off at MP3 player makers because making MP3 players with a capacity of 100GB+ would be encouraging piracy.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't the point of a blog that you can write down what you think? Seems to me it kind of eludes the point if you're just going to get everyone else to do it for you...

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a lot of money. Most people my age don't.

SO I download lots of stuff, mainly music and films.

If I like the music I will buy the artists future albums, if and when I can afford them.

If I like the film I will watch from that director or actor again. Also I buy quite a bit of merchandise, so I pay for it that way.

If I didn't use illegal downloads then they wouldn't get any of my money.

It doesn't really hurt anyone in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    I would be annoyed if I was an artist and didn't get the profits I deserved because of people illegally downloading.

I used to download, but then I was in a band who released a single (fair enough we only sold a couple of thousand copies) but a lot more people had the track than had paid for it.. for us, it was a difference between a wage and just a bit of spending money.

ReputationRep:
    The way I see it is, if you're not going to buy something anyway and you illegally download it then nobody at all loses out, you only gain, so I have no problem with it. That said, I'd probably only download illegally from big artists who don't need the money and instead pay for music or other media (I buy lots of software from indie devs) from independent artists.

ReputationRep:
    It's good for testing things out such as music and games.
    Plus it's not illegal to download TV shows that have been broadcast & not ripped from DVD.

ReputationRep:
    i agree that it's bad but I still do it because I can't afford to buy most of the stuff like software- photoshop, illustrator and etc

ReputationRep:
    The industry needs to adapt it's business models and figure out how to make money from the internet instead of trying to shut it down.

Increasing numbers of musicians, filmmakers, writers etc are adapting to the internet, some of whom are making a killing. Meanwhile, copyright owners -- be it recording companies, film studios or publishers, but hardly ever the original creators -- are trying to monopolise information and control what we can or cannot send to each other. The Digital Economy Act, ACTA, Gallo report, etc are designed to lock-down the internet, and they're all paid for by copyright owners. I'm not surprised they're going under. The sooner the better, in my opinion.

Besides the practical problems of copyright, the laws involved are generally pretty bizarre. For example, it's illegal to lend a book to a friend or sing happy birthday in public. If you buy a CD and then rip it onto your computer, you're breaking the law, and you're breaking it again by uploading it to your iPod. And these restrictions last for effectively two lifetimes.

Even worse, copyright can be bought and sold like a commodity -- or you can be swindled out of it by a contract. Most recording contracts require the artist to just give the company all their copyrights in return for little or no profits. If they want control over their work they'll have to fund themselves entirely or buy back their copyrights later. That is, if the company is selling.

Copyright's broken. I think we need it to help reward creative people for the work they do, but at the moment it's clearly not doing that. Don't believe the industry lobby groups: music, film, books and TV won't die because of filesharing, they'll just be produced in different ways.

(subtle promotion for a cause I like)

ReputationRep:
    I have no opinion of it. I do do it and most artists do it for the software side of it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm ok with it when it comes to music since it's pretty time-consuming to download / organise each song, so that limits how much you can do - plus the digital music market is one massive rip-off anyway - paying for something which has no physical cost to produce... apart from the creativity we're essentially paying money for nothing (from the record companies PoV).

DvDs less so - they're **** quality anyway if it's from the internet, but I'll rip it from a friend's DVD or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    It is called "file sharing".

ReputationRep:
    According to this article, Lady Gaga earned $167 from a million plays of one of her songs on Spotify. So, basically, if those people had just illegally downloaded instead, she'd have only been a very small amount (for her) worse off. So, why are people aghast at illegally downloading on the basis of depriving the artist of revenue, but it's somehow OK when it's a method that gets through a loophole or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    I put 'Don't care' - not because I don't have an opinion, but because I don't support it especially or want it to be stopped. It does a job.

I do use Bittorrent because I like a lot of music. This week alone I've downloaded 8 albums. I'd be in debt if I bought the amount of music I download for free. The fact is artists aren't poor - plenty of people buy their music. They get money from promotions, merchandise, doing shows and many other ways.

The way I see it the music industry is balanced well atm. So I'd say I don't support it, I don't not support it.

ReputationRep:
    I do occasionally download music illegally, but I try not to do it too much.

I never do it for whole albums, just for the odd song. I'm a bit half and half about whether I agree with it or not, because although I appreciate that people need to get paid, music can be expensive. I can't afford to pay for all the music I listen to xD

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.