Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Illegal downloading... watch

• View Poll Results: Illegal downloading?
    Agree with it
    72.25%
    Disagree with it
    9.25%
    No opinion/Don't care
    18.50%

ReputationRep:
    I did, but then I realised how much they get from gigs and stuff. the real loosers surely arent the artists, but the labels?

Edit: As has been said, it also allows talent to shine through. I dont think Plan B would have sold nearly the same amount if his orginal album hadnt been pirated!

ReputationRep:
    I agree with it for a number of reasons.

I download loads of music, but at the same purchase a lot too and go to loads of gigs. Before I downloaded music, I didn't know more than half of the artists I love today. So I have the Internet to thank for discovering so much awesome music.

The way I see it, music to me is like a pair of shoes. I go into a shop and try a pair before I buy. If I don't like it, I give them back. If I download an album and don't like it I delete it. No one loses. If I like it, I'll buy it and will probably go and see them live too. Everybody wins.

Yeah considering I wrote 8,000 words on this earlier this year I'm sure I could list a few more reasons, but I really can't be arsed.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, because if i didn't pirate I'd also spend less on music and games. Also, if it's something so expensive that i'd never buy it, or something that I only need to use once, I'd pirate it. It's not like I'd ever consider buying it so no one lost any money.

ReputationRep:
    I am pro download and also pro upload. Im not going to pay for something if I can get it for free so easily with a lack of consequences. The only times I pay for music are when either I buy a vinyl record of an album I already know and love, or its only gonna be like £1.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, yes , yes, yes, yes
    Why should i pay for it when i dont have to + they still make a ton of money!

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree with it. Up to a certain point- If someone is downloading films and music for free, illegally, and then attempting to sell it on...that's just plain wrong.
    For 'personal use', I agree with it. Industries are so whoring nowadays, they have more focus on their bank balance than their market. And I HATE the argument that it's stealing- No it's not. You keep your copy, I get mine. Simple as that. I wouldn't have paid for it otherwise, so you're not losing anything.

Also, did you know that 'illegal downloaders' spend more on music, games and films than anyone else?...:yep:

ReputationRep:
    I agree with it, mainstream artists are paid enough money by their record companies. Even underground artists e.g. drum and bass producer/djs are minted they're paid like £1000 for an hours djing. And in any case £1.50 for a 320kbps mp3 is far too much.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I disagree with it on principle, but I also disagree with the extortionate prices I am forced to pay for music.

I've downloaded 2 things illegally:
    The complete Harry Potter Audio Book Set because I couldn't afford them all
    Les Choristes because I wanted to watch it before my french exam the next day and obviously couldn't go shopping for it in time

But in general I will buy music, which is why I'm always so poor because probably 1/4 of what I spend a month goes on music, then 1/8th goes on movies etc. so it costs a lot of money!

ReputationRep:
    I agree with it since i don't have the money to regularly buy albums and movies.
    Also most tv shows are available on the Internet legally, so i cant see a point against them being illegal.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, there are loads of bands, games and TV shows that I hadn't heard much of before I downloaded them, and when I enjoyed it I then went out and paid for it, as well as often buying other merchanise/ going to gigs and whathaveyou. In fact just over the last couple of weeks I've spent a good £150-200 (yes, I've had a bit of a spending splurge recently :p:) on things I've downloaded recently, that I otherwise would never have bothered buying at all. Therefore, my "illegal" downloads have just produced a profit for these poor, stuggling, victimised, ickle little companies =/

ReputationRep:
    I do it. I know it is morally wrong but i won't waste my money to buy CD's that i might not like. Go Frostwire :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    because of illegal downloading snoop dogg will have to wait 2 weeks before he can buy his new lambo

britney spears wanted a pool with a solid gold bar. Thanks to illegal downloading she has to get a regular pool

ReputationRep:
    There is nothing better for me than going to a record store on a Monday morning, buying a new album and playing it over and over. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but that is the best way!

ReputationRep:
    I'm poor and can't afford splashing out. I don't technically illegally download films myself. My friend always has the latest ones so gives me his USB every week. Same with TV shows such as V which was out in US before UK.

I only really download songs and even then rarely and I'll just do a complete album rather than lots of single tunes.

ReputationRep:
    free stuff is good for everyones there are no down sides would i buy them legally if i had no choice?? no i would just go without them so by getting them illegally it has no effect on the film, music and game industry

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with it, artists/songwriters who sell their music have a right to receive some revenue from that. However, £12.99 per album??? (come on). If every album on sale was £5, £8 for double disc, record company's would see a vast increase in sales. CD sales are not inelastic they are elastic, therefore whats with such high pricing?

ReputationRep:
    When you come across artists who have released less than 100 copies of a demo, the Internet is the best place to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dancingrobots)
    Its not boring I'm glod you voted because I am doing a paragraph about people who don't really care about downloading or know what it is :p: and if I didn't want people to say I don't care, I wouldn't have put the option there, si I'm glad you answered
    Aww thanks.
    Well atleast now I feel a lot happier in my ignorance lol.
    Ty

ReputationRep:
    I don't really have a problem with it, I do occasionly feel bad about downloading certain artists music for free, so sometimes buy their album if I really like it.

When it comes to films and TV programmes, well a lot of programmes don't come out in the UK for ages after the USA. Such as Dexter (AWESOME) so I have no choice but to watch online/download it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotalLifeForever)
    There is nothing better for me than going to a record store on a Monday morning, buying a new album and playing it over and over. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but that is the best way!
    Nah you're not alone. I still do this with my favourite artists. But when it leaks weeks in advance it's almost impossible not to download and listen to it. That does take something special away from that experience though.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.