Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I'm applying to Cambridge and Warwick and I really want to make a start on STEP I pretty soon. I've done C1 & C2 but not C3 & C4 so could someone please tell me what topics I need to know to be able to answer the questions?

Thanks.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    All of them? Master C3 and C4 first before starting on STEP.

ReputationRep:
    I'm kind of in the same boat as you.
    Just go through as many past papers as you can, look at the mark schemes and examiners reports.
    Also try looking at some Advanced Extension Papers. They're a little less 'extreme'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    All of them? Master C3 and C4 first before starting on STEP.
    There are a few questions that are nominally doable with only C1 and C2. (Or alternatively, with only C1, C2 and knowledge of 'how to prove something' outside of C1-C4 such as proof by induction).

It wouldn't be a bad idea to make a list of them - but not sure I can be bothered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomMcCarthy)
    Hi there,
    I'm applying to Cambridge and Warwick and I really want to make a start on STEP I pretty soon. I've done C1 & C2 but not C3 & C4 so could someone please tell me what topics I need to know to be able to answer the questions?

Thanks.
    wait until you're a decent way through C3 at the least. if you want to prepare a bit, then oxford maths tests are easier and based only on c1-2. if you look at some of these until december, then move on to STEP perhaps. otherwise, you'll end up self-teaching everything, which isn't great!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    There are a few questions that are nominally doable with only C1 and C2. (Or alternatively, with only C1, C2 and knowledge of 'how to prove something' outside of C1-C4 such as proof by induction).

It wouldn't be a bad idea to make a list of them - but not sure I can be bothered.
    A worthwhile first task for the OP might be to print out the specification for his Awarding Body and the specification for STEP and to identify what appears where and what is not included (such as proof by induction). I can't be bothered to do it either!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Thanks.
    It's doable. When I starting working on STEP back in January, I was just two chapters into C3 so probably in a similar boat to you. Although you need to realise that there will be loads of questions that you cannot access with your current knowledge and even then of those you can access, you may not even be able to make a decent attempt at it. I found myself seeing questions I fancied, asking a teacher what would be the necessary knowledge to attempt it and then self teaching it so I could give it a shot. I also self taught C4 integration (particularly substitution) so I could try the calculus questions. It is also a good idea to cover C3 differentiation first too.
    That should be sufficient knowledge to make a decent start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    A worthwhile first task for the OP might be to print out the specification for his Awarding Body and the specification for STEP and to identify what appears where and what is not included (such as proof by induction). I can't be bothered to do it either!
    That's a good idea! I think I'll do that tomorrow. I forgot to mention that I've done FP1, so I have done proof by induction already.

I think the first question on each paper is usually more logic/number theory-ish, so I can usually have a good attempt at them.

(Original post by Farhan.Hanif93)
    ~
    Ooh thanks, I might just try that! I'm already halfway through C3 differentiation, so I guess I could just learn the C3 + C4 integration which, judging by the questions I've looked at so far, would make a hell of a lot more questions accessible to me.

ReputationRep:
    That's a good idea! I think I'll do that tomorrow. I forgot to mention that I've done FP1, so I have done proof by induction already.

I think the first question on each paper is usually more logic/number theory-ish, so I can usually have a good attempt at them.

Ooh thanks, I might just try that! I'm already halfway through C3 differentiation, so I guess I could just learn the C3 + C4 integration which, judging by the questions I've looked at so far, would make a hell of a lot more questions accessible to me.
    There's usually at least one calculus question on each paper so that would be a good idea. Be patient with it as well, it has a tendency to be agitating in the early days...
    EDIT: Good luck with the application as well! Where else are you applying? Which Cambridge College are you thinking of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farhan.Hanif93)
    There's usually at least one calculus question on each paper so that would be a good idea. Be patient with it as well, it has a tendency to be agitating in the early days...
    EDIT: Good luck with the application as well! Where else are you applying? Which Cambridge College are you thinking of?
    Thanks! Well, I'm applying for Maths & Computer Science joint honors. But Pure Maths at Warwick, so I'll need STEP for both there and Cambridge.
    I'm thinking of either Emmanuel or Pembroke, but they all seem really good!

I'm also applying to Imperial, Bristol and Nottingham. Where are you applying? (You should probably reply in a PM because it's completely OT :p: )

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.