Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

blind or deaf? watch

• View Poll Results: would you rather be blind or deaf?
    blind
    8.33%
    deaf
    85.42%
    i can't choose...
    6.25%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thejonsmith)
    Why though?

Reading involves human imagination whether you're neither blind or deaf, whether you're reading braille or whether you're deaf.
    I think my imagination would be more powerful for pictures than words.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Hard choice, I literally don't know. I mean, the thought of not being able to listen to music or have a proper conversation with someone ever again is just as depressing as not being able to see anything ever again.

ReputationRep:
    I'm deaf so i can't pick I love going to cinemas with subtitles, I seen a film with audio description, its very annoying having huge explosions and a voice "a bomb exploded" making it obvious.
    i go to cinemas with dates without subtitles with no problem anyway. if you're wondering about anything to do with deafness, ask me

And i can have proper conversations in real life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    Deaf, I think. You could still do pretty much everything for yourself; cooking, driving and reading would all still be possible. It would be horrible to never hear music again though.
    i'm deaf and and can drive, cook and read and enjoy music

ReputationRep:
    I'd definitely rather be deaf.

I would find the world seriously terrifying if I couldn't see. I rely on vision so much. And I wouldn't be able to read, or use the internet in the same way. That would suck.
    I don't know how hard learning to lip read is, but I could probably do it. Sign Language is fairly intuitive too, I'm sure I could pick that up.
    I would miss music, but I'd get over it.

Didn't have to think about it that much tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Deaf.
    I'd absolutely hate not being able to hear music every again, but I wouldn't be able to handle not being able to see the world. Plus, I think you can live a more normal life, more easily, when deaf as opposed to blind.

ReputationRep:
    would prefer being deaf. Don't listen to much music as it is. I'm quite short-sighted as it is and I want to keep what I have.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely deaf.

ReputationRep:
    I would hate to be either, but I genuinely think I would commit suicide if I could never hear music again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by big-boss-91)
    i'm deaf and and can drive, cook and read and enjoy music
    How do you enjoy music if you're deaf?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blueflare)
    I'd definitely rather be deaf.

I would find the world seriously terrifying if I couldn't see. I rely on vision so much. And I wouldn't be able to read, or use the internet in the same way. That would suck.
    I don't know how hard learning to lip read is, but I could probably do it. Sign Language is fairly intuitive too, I'm sure I could pick that up.
    I would miss music, but I'd get over it.

Didn't have to think about it that much tbh.
    lip reading is fairly difficult but you would get used to it after a while, it have a good pro to lip reading, you can tell whether people are lying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cordeliacork)
    How do you enjoy music if you're deaf?
    i got a implant which helps me hear just as well as a normal person

ReputationRep:
    I am deaf, and I would much rather be deaf than blind. Sure, being deaf isn't great, but at least I can see and people can write things down for me or use sign language/subtitles, etc. I have a huge respect for blind people as it must be so so difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    Just watched that and thought 'Awesome ' then found out he recently died

ReputationRep:
    i got a implant which helps me hear just as well as a normal person
    Is that only for special cases?

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather die.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dnator)
    Is that only for special cases?
    only for the completely deaf or classed as "profoundly deaf", any who falls into that category will be allowed to get one but there is a waiting list.

ReputationRep:
    I'd choose being deaf over blind, definately!
    No question. I'd miss music, perhaps not as much as I'd think. Plus you can always feel the vibrations of the music.

ReputationRep:
    only for the completely deaf or classed as "profoundly deaf", any who falls into that category will be allowed to get one but there is a waiting list.
    I meant, will it work for any deaf person or only for certain causes of deafness?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.