Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    What did you think of it?

Did anyone else feel he seemed to be rambling slightly? He seemed very unsure of his postion on things such as the unions which will be a major test for him considering his election to leader of the labour party.

Anyway. Good speech? Bad Speech?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think he was rambling, he just covered a lot of stuff in his speech. I think it was quite a good speech and he really laid down what he was about and what he wants to do with Labour.

We'll see how he goes.

ReputationRep:
    Not a bad speech, very predictable and as expected though.

ReputationRep:
    Usual blabble, he managed to talk for almost 2 hours about nothing concrete. He did mention interestingly though the price we pay for fighting terrorism should not be losing our liberty (or something along those lines) he also talked about immigration and it's negative impacts on communities which the main parties have been avoiding.

Was good to hear his views on 90 day detention issue.

ReputationRep:
    I loved the fact that he was honest and open about Iraq mainly, but the content I thought was fine... wasn't the best speech but not the worst. However, I fear his delivery and almost stutter-like nature will hinder people's views on him - which would be a great shame. I really like the guy.

ReputationRep:
    It's a shame he mentioned he looked like Wallace because whenever Ihear him now I think: cracking cheese Gromit

Anyone, the labour's Iain Duncan Smith

ReputationRep:
    The main thing I remember from it was noticing how much Eddie Izzard has aged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In2deep)
    Usual blabble, he managed to talk for almost 2 hours about nothing concrete. He did mention interestingly though the price we pay for fighting terrorism should not be losing our liberty (or something along those lines) he also talked about immigration and it's negative impacts on communities which the main parties have been avoiding.

I don't think we can expect him to be coming out with 'concrete' stuff quite yet, he's only been leader for 4 days! It was only an opening speech. I agree it was interesting and actually quite brave of him to come out with his views on Iraq, Immigration etc. I imagine people will respect that he speaks what he believes is the truth.

ReputationRep:
    He was talking about the new generation but he also mentioned Ken Livingstones name...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by meenu89)
    He was talking about the new generation but he also mentioned Ken Livingstones name...
    Then said it was a new generation that had nothing to do with age. Its not really a generation then...

ReputationRep:

He obviously cared enough about the issue to vote for it in Parliament.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoliceStory)
    He obviously cared enough about the issue to vote for it in Parliament.
    Did I say he didn't care? :curious:

He voted against it. read here if you want.

Edit: if you mean the Terrorism Act 2006 (Disapplication of Section 25) then yes he was absent but this was a vote to keep it at 28 days (which is wrong), if it had not gone through then it would have been reduced to 14 days. It was kept at 28 days by a majority vote by the CONS and the LIBDEMS while the Labour party was split right in the middle by those who did vote while many decided to abstain.

ReputationRep:
    pretty boring, full of rhetoric and therefore pointless, just like all speeches are. Though he's no Obama

ReputationRep:
    He isn't convincing as a speechmaker somehow. Not as bad as IDS but he is certainly not a natural. In fact I would say he is less convincing than Gordon Brown.

Overall I think Ed Miliband seems pretty uninspiring. David Miliband might be a Blairite clone but is certainly far more charismatic and would have been a more intimidating threat to Cameron.

ReputationRep:
    Did I say he didn't care? :curious:

He voted against it. read here if you want.

Edit: if you mean the Terrorism Act 2006 (Disapplication of Section 25) then yes he was absent but this was a vote to keep it at 28 days (which is wrong), if it had not gone through then it would have been reduced to 14 days. It was kept at 28 days by a majority vote by the CONS and the LIBDEMS while the Labour party was split right in the middle by those who did vote while many decided to abstain.

http://www.publicwhip.org.uk/divisio...&house=commons

He voted for 90 days detention without trial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoliceStory)
    http://www.publicwhip.org.uk/divisio...&house=commons

He voted for 90 days detention without trial.
    Thanks for this.

He is seriously a hypocrite then.

ReputationRep:
    He comes across to me as having the charisma of a dead toad, to be frank. That alone is going to make it difficult for him to beat David Cameron who is quite strong in that area.

So far, I'm pretty much convinced that the affiliates have made a massive error by putting him into power, but we'll see how the next 5 years go.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Silly Goose)
    He comes across to me as having the charisma of a dead toad, to be frank. That alone is going to make it difficult for him to beat David Cameron who is quite strong in that area.

So far, I'm pretty much convinced that the affiliates have made a massive error by putting him into power, but we'll see how the next 5 years go.
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    In terms of the writing and oratory I thought it was very poor actually.

He's got far less charisma than I previously thought.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.