Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I realise they both balance out at 300 UCAS points but which is better in the eyes of universities?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I got ABC at A-level.
    One of the unis I applied to gave me an offer of ABB (rejected them) and told me that if I got ABC then I may still have a chance of getting in but not if I achieved BBB. So, in my biased opinion lol, ABC is better, despite showing inconsistency.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dawson2010)
    I realise they both balance out at 300 UCAS points but which is better in the eyes of universities?
    Thanks!
    BBB in my opinion - shows a more balanced, well rounded candidate.

The exception might be if you're applying for, say, chemistry and the A was in chemistry, B in biology and C in something like French - then they might prefer that, to have the A in the right subject. If all your A-levels are directly related to your degree though, I think BBB is better.

That said, both sets of results are good and both are the same UCAS points value, so I wouldn't worry too much

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it depends on subject and intended course choices as well, as above really.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'd rather not have any to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    ABC. Looks prettier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dawson2010)
    Thanks!
    A = 120, B = 100, C = 80 so that makes ABC = 300 and BBB = 300, they're both will be fine, the uni would go for the subject that would be relevant so get a A

ReputationRep:
    BBB is better imo- more consistent.

ReputationRep:
    A in Maths, B in Physics and C in Sociology, is better then BBB.

However, BBB in Sociology, Physics and Maths, is better then A in Sociology, B in Physcis and C in Maths.

ReputationRep:
    I think ABC is better as long as the subject you get an A in is related to your degree. Maybe it shows you're really good in that subject instead of being above average in a few subjects.

ReputationRep:
    ABC man, it's easy as 123.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say ABC as long as your A is in what you intend to do at uni BBB is still good though.

ReputationRep:
    Nice.
    I got ABC as AS level in History, business and ICT. (plus a B in world development).
    Want to study managment or some other business course at uni, i can probally get an A in History, hopefully a A in business as i wasnt far off last year and if i try hard a B in ICT (10UMS off last year).

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the course/uni and individual circumstances.

I got ABC and I got an offer from a Law school with AAB requirements. I declined it, applied for another subject which required ABB and got in there too. Sometimes your PS/work exp/other factors can have a bigger impact. Also, the 2nd course I applied to required at least one grade A at A-level so it may have been a different story if I had got BBB.

ReputationRep:
    ABC shows that you've excelled in one subject, BBB shows all-around goodness. So it depends on what the uni/admissions tutor is looking for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan656)
    That only works if the university uses UCAS points. A lot of the higher ones don't, they just specify grades.
    thats true too, ABC would be better for those type of universities but those who use UCAS either ABC and BBB would be fine?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.