Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    "Ninety's kids/teens" - Are we first generation of this new "modern" era? The "first" of the ones who have grew up and witnessed the biggest social and technological revolutions in society to date? Think about it, between 1990 - 2000 we've seen the dawn of the internet, popularisation of science, societal degeneration, rampant consumerism, international terrorism of massive scale, rapid entrenchment of technology in our lives etc etc etc? Obviously far more but too much to list.

Are we fortunate to have grown up when we did, or victims of the exploits of those before us?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about the degredation of society, as I think I'd rather live in a society today than 30/40 years ago. And as for terrorism, I suppose we're the first to witness it on a truly international scale, however in reality our parents generation witnessed it far more than we ever have, because of the IRA, and they witnessed terrorism that was far more relevant to them and closer to home.

You're right about the technology bit though.

ReputationRep:
    I think you've done very well with your cut-off points because I know a few people born in 1994 and they had very different lives growing up than what I did being born in '92.

I consider myself fortunate because I had the pleasure of an 'old-fashioned' upbringing with family meals and respect for others but at the same time I got to experience the '90s and the '00s and all the breakthroughs that happened during that time.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it was an interesting period to grow up in and that I am definitely a product of my time in a lot of ways. Likewise I think that my interest in current and foreign affairs and career aspirations would have been very different if I had been born in a different time - consider that an almost identical war was being fought on the day that I was born and my twelth birthday and that as I started to become aware of global issues the world was starting to become aware of global terrorism.

I enjoy that I will be able to say that I was around when mobile phones and the internet became big but that I will also be able to say that I remember before they were the absolute norm.

I think that every generation can boast or complain about the time that they grew up in and that we are the same. Culturally I think we are maybe lacking in a lot but a whole new culture has developed around us and this is the case of most generations. All I can really say is that it has been twenty years of rich and varied events and influences and that in the future I think a lot of people will wish to have grown up at this time despite the fact that I frequently wish that I had been from another time.

ReputationRep:
    The 90s was awesome.

ReputationRep:
    I suspect Google, Facebook, the iphone and TSR will all get a chapter in the history books.

The music was a bit **** but other than that I feel very lucky to have grown up when I did.

Its probable that there will be a decade in the next few hundred years that involves something pretty serious like a major war, a dangerous new illness or global warming hitting the fan.

ReputationRep:
    1991 and proud, I loved growing up then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halfoflessthan50p)
    I suspect Google, Facebook, the iphone and TSR will all get a chapter in the history books.

The music was a bit **** but other than that I feel very lucky to have grown up when I did.

Its probable that there will be a decade in the next few hundred years that involves something pretty serious like a major war, a dangerous new illness or global warming hitting the fan.
    TSR is in the history books because it has a rather detailed Wikipedia page... anything noteworthy is wikipedia'd :teehee:

I wish I was around a bit earlier tbh, maybe born in the late fifties so I was around for when punk exploded, or maybe even aboit ten years earlier so I could be a mod.

ReputationRep:
    Those born early 90s were able to see the transition to the new millennia through their childhood and all the technological and social advances in between.

ReputationRep:
    ''international terrorism on a massive scale'' - lol

ReputationRep:
    I was born 1989 and very much remember most things of the 90s and how early 90s between 91-94 were very much like the 80s. I look back on it now and remember the music and movies fondly. It seemed so much more fun back then the music, and kids music. Everything's much more serious these days in regards to childrens music. I also remember the Spice Girls and they made my childhood and after the Spice Girls went I think it marked the end of it. I think one thing I remember the clothes and hairstyles from the early 90s more than anything, I do think it was a decade that fashion forgot :P.

I still have those old computers where there is really nothing on it except 1 pixel games and MS Paint. And all the old Sega games are in my attic.

ReputationRep:
    I was born in 1993, and I feel sad that we are getting further and further away from the 60s...I wish I wasn't living in this time..

ReputationRep:
    i think this hairstyle is enough to keep any1 out of the <= 80's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chinaberry)
    I was born in 1993, and I feel sad that we are getting further and further away from the 60s...I wish I wasn't living in this time..
    I was born in 92 and I feel the same... .
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I think 1991 was a good year to be born in... maybe something in the 1986-88 region might have been better, so that I could remember more about the 90s and so on, but whatever. I certainly like being able to remember seeing in the new millennium, something which my cousins were too young to really notice at the time. Being a teenager in the mid-2000s was certainly good though, when there weren't all the financial troubles that there are now.

ReputationRep:
    I like being born in 1991

ReputationRep:
    You raise a very good point OP
    I definitely find that kids today have completely different upbringings and childhoods to my generation. Not meaning to sound like an old granny here, but when I was a wein, the biggest Christmas present I ever got was a Baby Born or a Barbie doll (I was a wee girly girl back then lol).... My niece, last Christmas, got a scooter (big flashy pink one with lights and all) , a MOBILE PHONE (she's like 8 for crying out loud), hundreds upon hundreds of dollies and barbies, she even got money. I was never given money until I was like 15!

The point I'm trying to make is that I think this generation of kids and teenagers (I'm 18 so technically that's still me, but I mean younger teenagers I know what I mean in my head, honestly....... :lol:) are a bit more spoiled. My niece for example, her mum and my brother (she's technically my step-niece but that complicates things) are hardly upper class... They live in a less-luxurious part of town and their house is hardly a mansion. If my parents were in that situation when I was growing up my Christmases would have sucked. Nowadays it seems that weins get whatever they want, money is no object anymore.

Also- As for Terrorism, it's shocking how much children know about the terrorism situation, and even the war nowadays. When I was growing up, war was bad, terrorism was a long word we had to learn how to spell which nobody knew what it meant, people of different ethnicities were interesting and awesome, not potential threats. (no offense intended BTW, it just seems that since 9/11 and the likes many children I know personally have became accustomed to believe that certain ethnicities and races are 'scary' .... OBVIOUSLY I do not share this view! :o: :lol:)

ReputationRep:
    I get a bit nostalgic about dial-up sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    I was born in 1985, and I'm really glad I did, because my childhood seems quite old fashioned in comparison to now. No internet until I was seconday school, conkers, sticker collecting, British Bulldog... even things which most people here would associate with their childhoods, like the Spice Girls, the big yo-yo craze and Tamagotchis, didn't come in until I was at seconday school. Even Google didn't exist until I was in Year 8. I remember on school trips, people playing with Gameboys and Walkmans on the coach, but that's pretty much the only electronic toys of that nature that there were at the time. Mobile phones existed, but weren't very widely used at all, and schoolchildren certainly didn't have them. So in my eyes, the people in my year group and maybe the year below, were the last of a generation, in a way.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 30, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.