Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Interesting thread. Indeed this was a period of unprecedented change and advancement, but in the grand scheme of things we are just in the infancy of the digital world. I am privileged to say I saw its beginnings.

ReputationRep:
    '92 yo-yos. tamagotchis, pokemon cards, anyone remember those jelly-like balls on a string of elastic stuff you'd bounce that were banned so awesome, also the craze for those mini scoters that were thin? they were new and gameboys (obviously with pokemon games).

there just aren't any good crazes nowadays... my 8 year old brother plays WAR games on the computer (not rich enough for an xbox360 or anything). I agree, loads of kids are spoilt nowadays, and kids my age now - money no object. Also, kids are HOOKED on the internet at sucha young -age like 24/7...

I remember the old computers, like now laptops! the screens woul load downwards horizontally, so you'd see the top half of the page first and internet connections so slow...

And the amazing 2000 glasses where your eyes go between the 0s

seemed at lot hotter back then too, a lot of the hottest summers have been in the 90s/early 2000s

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but every generation imagines it's unique - they just happen to pick different things to define their uniqueness. At a more fundamental level, human nature never really changes.

ReputationRep:
    **** yeah 89.

**** yeah black metal!123

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jayj_Leigh)
    I remember the year i got my babyborn who weed and pooed and cried :') Thought my life couldnt get any better

Hahahaha I had one of those!!! They were epic back in the day!

ReputationRep:
    You know it kind of makes me sad to think that by the time I've graduated most of TSR will be a younger generation - the ones born in 1995/6 will be approaching adulthood. So all of our reminising about all things 90's will soon be gone and there'll be a new generation getting all nostalgic about their childhoods during the noughties. Bleh.
    Right now we're all of the age to be on TSR and talking about it - but one day we'll be in 9 to 5's and all the people older than us will give us this look :wtf: when we talk about SM:Tv and tamagotchis etc.

Oh welllllll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krakatoa)
    I wish I was around a bit earlier tbh, maybe born in the late fifties so I was around for when punk exploded, or maybe even aboit ten years earlier so I could be a mod.
    MODS!

I prefer them. Truth be told I would want to be a 60's child.

ReputationRep:
    We're all old enough to remember what it was like not to have the internet, social networking sites and such. Imagine what it must do to the young now growing up with their online identity pretty much insync with their real life from a very young age. I imagine we got in just before it was too late to seriously mess our brains up.
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I love the fact I was 1992. I loved, pokemon, CITV at 3 o'clock- Alphabet castle anyone? Sabrina! Hmm what else, yo-yos, millenuium babies that were all going to have children or come to life at 2000, I forget which.

Funfunfun
    And I alwaaaays wanted to be baby spice when we played spice girls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK)
    Great post. I was also a 1989 baby and agree with all your points (apart from the Spice Girls, I wasn't so hot on them at the time). Not just music, but kids TV was so much better back then. I remember being so excited on Saturday mornings to watch SMTV with Ant, Dec and Cat Deeley and their shows like pokemon! Remember Kenan and Kel, Are you afraid of the dark, goosebumps to name but a few. And Funhouse!! There are no shows like Funhouse anymore.
    I remember them all and my boyfriend makes me watch them with him again especially the old kid shows he used to watch It gets me excited and disappointed 'cause I think "Wow if only I knew him back then we'd have been awesome friends".

Still play pokemon on the DS not going to lie! My favourite show is and will always be Saved by the Bell. Also the shows my parents used to watch like Roseanne, Grace Under Fire, Home Improvement etc.

Do you remember Dinosaurs? The ending was so sad! I also used to watch Muppet Babies, Barbar, Fraggle Rock, Magic School Bus, Wizadora, Barney and Friends, Alex Mack etc amongst other tv shows!

One thing I always wanted was a Barbie Jeep from Toys R Us. Damn everything always cost too much so we didn't get anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThinkingThoughts)
    "Ninety's kids/teens" - Are we first generation of this new "modern" era? The "first" of the ones who have grew up and witnessed the biggest social and technological revolutions in society to date? Think about it, between 1990 - 2000 we've seen the dawn of the internet, popularisation of science, societal degeneration, rampant consumerism, international terrorism of massive scale, rapid entrenchment of technology in our lives etc etc etc? Obviously far more but too much to list.

Are we fortunate to have grown up when we did, or victims of the exploits of those before us?
    You're overstating or inventing many of these changes. It's certainly an interesting generation because we are the first to have grown up within the new, vastly more communication-driven society, but by "international terrorism of massive scale" you're talking about one stand-out attack, "societal degeneration" is just a conservative way of saying "societal change" because realistically we haven't experienced a significant change for the worse, and I'm not sure what you mean by the "popularisation of science" because the majority are still ignorant and content to be that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spinnerette)
    I remember them all and my boyfriend makes me watch them with him again especially the old kid shows he used to watch It gets me excited and disappointed 'cause I think "Wow if only I knew him back then we'd have been awesome friends".

Still play pokemon on the DS not going to lie! My favourite show is and will always be Saved by the Bell. Also the shows my parents used to watch like Roseanne, Grace Under Fire, Home Improvement etc.

Do you remember Dinosaurs? The ending was so sad! I also used to watch Muppet Babies, Barbar, Fraggle Rock, Magic School Bus, Wizadora, Barney and Friends, Alex Mack etc amongst other tv shows!

One thing I always wanted was a Barbie Jeep from Toys R Us. Damn everything always cost too much so we didn't get anything.
    Yep, not gonna lie either, my Pokemon Silver is still occasionally used in the holidays when I want a nostalgia trip.

Can't say I do remember Dinosaurs but things like Wizadora, The Worst Witch, Art Attack, The Queen's Nose, Aquila = all great kids TV shows of the day.

Was all about Pokemon cards for me. I was always begging my parents to buy them whenever we went into a newsagents or supermarket. Remember they sold them in packs of 10 or so and everyone was always after the shiny ones.

ReputationRep:
    *Epic guitar riff*
    *Epic guitar solo*

GO GO POWER RANGERS

NA NA NA NA NA

GO GO POWER RANGERSSSSS

NA NA NA NA NA

GO GO POWER RANGERS, YOU MIGHTY MORPHIN' POWAH RANGERHURRRRRSSSSS.

ReputationRep:
    New kids are stupid and socially inept. We all missed a bullet imho.

ReputationRep:
    and we got the MILLENIUM!! (and remember it) WHOOO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeanK22)
    MODS!

I prefer them. Truth be told I would want to be a 60's child.
    Albion....i knew that sounded familiar.....you're from Nottingham ain't ya? if not, then my bad lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
    I was born in 1985, and I'm really glad I did, because my childhood seems quite old fashioned in comparison to now. No internet until I was seconday school, conkers, sticker collecting, British Bulldog... even things which most people here would associate with their childhoods, like the Spice Girls, the big yo-yo craze and Tamagotchis, didn't come in until I was at seconday school. Even Google didn't exist until I was in Year 8. I remember on school trips, people playing with Gameboys and Walkmans on the coach, but that's pretty much the only electronic toys of that nature that there were at the time. Mobile phones existed, but weren't very widely used at all, and schoolchildren certainly didn't have them. So in my eyes, the people in my year group and maybe the year below, were the last of a generation, in a way.
    +1

ReputationRep:
    Even though I use the internet now and am glad to be using it I'm so happy to have been brought up when internet (and even computers most of the time) wasn't present in my primary school. I don't think I would have learnt to read as I did if computers had been very prominent in teaching back then. Although the internet is useful now, what you've never known you don't miss. It's weird that we're the last age group coming up to not have computer use as a prominent part of our childhood (even the most technologically advanced schools and families were no where near what we are now simply because the technology didn't exist enough-after waiting an hour for one of the only websites on the planet to load what else is there to do on a computer?

When I was 11, my first term in high school I came home to hear news of the 9/11 attacks and sometimes I get quite upset that since then every news bulletin I've heard has had its first news story about war or terrorism. I know this will have happened in most generations but I can just remember the news coming on the radio and being quite light hearted.

I actually sound like a grandma. I'm 20

ReputationRep:
    I remember when my dad bought our first PC. It was from Tiny computers (now gone), pentium 3 with windows 98. Cost a ridiculous amount of money. Also remember some people from my street seeing it in awe.
    It's kind of a shame that something like a computer is no longer so impressive to kids. I wonder what if anything will replace it?

The person who mentioned the water gun, a kid a few years older than me had one of those and ruled all the other kids on the street with it dictator style.

I remember pokemon, yughioh and yoyos being banned from my primary school, and later those yoyos type things made of rubber.

Remember seeing on the cover of a paper about Diana's death.

Also, we only had one TV in my house for some time, an ancient 14" one. Yeah, probably a sign my parents never had much money more than anything but how times change, considering we now have a 37" LCD screen.

I love looking at pictures of the 90's and seeing old cars. When I was growing up my dad drove a D reg Vauxhall Cavalier, then a J reg Ford Sierra. Yeah, not such a big social thing but think about it, when did you last see either of these cars?

Also, coming home from school on 9/11. I was in year 4 i think, my mum tried to explain what happened on the way home. News about it took over BBC1 and I had to watch Blue Peter on BBC2. I love how oblivious to that I was, unaware it was the biggest world event to happen in my life.

Oh, I was born in 92 =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexInWonderland)
    I love looking at pictures of the 90's and seeing old cars. When I was growing up my dad drove a D reg Vauxhall Cavalier, then a J reg Ford Sierra. Yeah, not such a big social thing but think about it, when did you last see either of these cars?
    My Mum used to drive an OLD R reg mini until it fell apart when I was about 8. :p: We really did go through a succession of truly awful cars. Then when we were finally able to afford a half decent one (Mitusbishi Carisma), my Dad wrote it off just after I passed my test.

Anyway, I'm older than most of you lot so I remember it even better :p: (born in 1984). The first few major "news" things I remember (obviously I have personal memories prior to that) are Thatcher resigning, asking my Mum "Who is Nelson Mandela and why are we glad he is out of prison?" (only naughty people go to prison, you see ) and the early 90s recession, which hit my family much harder than the recent one.

I also remember Labour winning the 97 election: my family, although they don't vote Labour, were all really optimistic it was going to be a bright new dawn for us all; all the other kids at my (private) school ruthlessly bullied me for being a pleb and said that the country was going to go down the pan.

My Dad had Apple computers when I was quite young, but they really were dinosaurs. Then when I was 14ish we got our first "modern" PC with dial-up internet, and it was so exciting! Before that, we used to think that people who used Encarta for their homework were cheating - nobody had dreamed of google or wikipedia!

As for mobile phones, I think the first kids at school got them when we were in year 9/10 - and this was a private school so people got gadgets pretty quickly. I resisted until I started uni, and while I think I probably missed out occasionally, it was nowhere near as much as if I was the same age now without a phone. Now, the girls in my Brownie Pack have mobiles which we have to take off them on Pack Holiday!

Overall, I think I have lived through some pretty interesting times, but I'm not sure it was that much more exciting than my parents going through the 60s as teenagers or my grandparents going through WWII and its aftermath.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 30, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.