Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I once collected a wheel barrow full of conkers.

ReputationRep:
    I remember having a 12er, ahh good times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justin Bieber)
    yo *babeh babeh babeh*.... i remember playing conkers at kindergarten...fun times (Y)
    A whole two years ago JB?

Being from the Caribbean, I never had the joy of conkers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justin Bieber)
    yo *babeh babeh babeh*.... i remember playing conkers at kindergarten...fun times (Y)
    well wasnt exactly a long time ago was it

ReputationRep:
    Haha, our school had a big conker fight too, and the teachers would have their own little one as well. We'd all pile into the hall to watch. Actually it was quite boring. I regret that I never gave it a go

We used to throw them at other children too, I remember

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
    Great minds think alike

:woo: :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else remember the annual craze for conker matches every autumn at primary school?

ReputationRep:
    There was a horse chestnut tree growing in my primary school playground which was convenient- cue kids trying to spear a hole in the fallen conkers using a compass and pencil for the entire lunch hour.

Despite being 26, I still can't help myself collecting them; I may put them in a bowl for display on my coffee table, but I can't get over my child like compulsion to gather them.

ReputationRep:
    Ever since everyone in my school (year 6?) started hitting each other purposefully round the head with them I can't say I hold a fondness for the things any longer.

ReputationRep:
    Kids are"nt allowed to have conker matches at school anymore in case someone gets hurt, which I think is stupid. Damn you health and safety rules!!!!. My children always pick them up but dont play with them. Instead they keep them in a pot until they go mouldy and I have to throw them away.

ReputationRep:
    i remember in primary school playing with them....i hit a boy in the lower back by mistake with one...he used to like me but i think that stopped it

ReputationRep:
    Yes I used to enjoy playing with conkers as a child.

(Original post by Genocidal)
    No don't be silly they can't play with conkers. TOO DANGEROUS!!!! A SPLINTER MAY BREAK OFF STABBING THE CHILD THROUGH THE HEART AND THEN HE STEPS BACK IN FRONT OF A MOVING TRUCK!!! BANNED!!!
    Lol this sums up beautifully the silly Health and Safety nonsense surrending something as trivial as conkers.

ReputationRep:
    Conkers has probably been played in England for hundreds of years, ain't going to stop any time soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    Conkers has probably been played in England for hundreds of years, ain't going to stop any time soon.
    I know it has, and I think the World Conker Championships are still held every year in England, but I fear that it's becoming much less common now, due to head teachers banning it etc. I see hundreds of conkers on the pavements nowadays, whilst when I was at primary school, as soon as they fell they were greedily gathered.

ReputationRep:
    haha I remember them.
    My family used to have a big garden with 2 of the trees in it... and we would collect bags of conkers and sell them outside the school gates!

ReputationRep:
    I remember huge discusses of the best way to harden them up before putting them into battle. People had all sorts of ways such as drying them in an airing cupboard, soaking them in vinegar, coating them in superglue, etc.

ReputationRep:
    They were banned at my primary school, along with yo yos and sticking plants to our noses (don't ask about the last one :lolwut:)

Ahhh I remember conkers - collecting them on the way home from school and then pleading with mum and dad to put holes in them, to attach my string. Following day I go to school, armoured with conkers haha.

Oooo I do wish I was a child again

(Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
    Anyone else remember the annual craze for conker matches every autumn at primary school?
    LoL Yes.

ReputationRep:
    i still collect them as well apparently if you put them on your windowsill it keeps spiders out, because the dont like the smell, but they have to be fresh ones.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 30, 2010
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.