Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right, I'm a home learning student so I'm obviously applying to university as an individual. I got AAD at AS level and I'm just wondering if it is possible for me to go from a D at AS to a B overall? I got 113 UMS points and the subject is Psychology if that helps. If it is possible could you tell me what grade I
    may need? Sorry if this is a stupid question, it's just I have no idea about it!

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedro92)
    Right, I'm a home learning student so I'm obviously applying to university as an individual. I got AAD at AS level and I'm just wondering if it is possible for me to go from a D at AS to a B overall? I got 113 UMS points and the subject is Psychology if that helps. If it is possible could you tell me what grade I
    may need? Sorry if this is a stupid question, it's just I have no idea about it!

Cheers!
    Yes, it's possible. I saw someone go from an E as AS maths to a B overall (in fact, I tutored them ), so bigger leaps have been made.

The UMS points you need to get can be worked out from this formula: (decimal percentage to get B * total UMS marks available in A2) + ([decimal percentage to get a B * total UMS marks available in AS] - points already achieved). You can then figure out the average points you need on each module by doing [result]/number of modules remaining.

For example, say that both AS and A2 have a total of two modules and 200 points attributed to each, and it is 70% to get a B. You would do (0.7 * 200) + ([0.7 * 200] - 113) to work out that you need to get a further 167 points to acquire the total of 280 (0.7 * 400) points required to get a B overall, and you need to achieve an average of 83.5 points on each remaining module (167/2)

If you're doing resits of any module, subtract the points you have achieved in them from the 'points already achieved', and then include that module as one of the modules remaining. Using our example above, imagine you achieved 50 points in Module 1 and 63 points in Module 2 ... but are retaking Module 1. The method would now be (0.7 * 200) + ([0.7 * 200] - [113 - 50]) = 217. Distributed across three modules now, you'd need an average of 72.333... on each module to get a B overall.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.