Turn on thread page Beta

Girls and Handshakes watch

ReputationRep:
    I always thought handshaking was more of a manly greeting than a girly one but today, I was with a girl that I was grouped with for a task and we agreed to meet up for coffee to discuss things. Before we left, I offered my hand and there was like a delay in her accepting my shake. Her hand was kinda flimsy aswell with no grip. I didn't want to hug her as I thought that was too much physical contact when we only know each other for less than a week. So just wondering, when it comes to informal greeting, are handshakes weird between guy and girl?

ReputationRep:
    no, not really.

ReputationRep:
    I find it difficult, only because I'm not sure what to do...

ReputationRep:
    Kind of odd, maybe it all seemed to professional? I don't know, I wouldn't have minded, personally. :dontknow: some people just have rubbish handshaking skills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forever_dreamer)
    I find it difficult, only because I'm not sure what to do...
    shake their hand :curious:

ReputationRep:
    I like going to interviews and shaking hands

ReputationRep:
    handshake seem more formal to me, maybe you confused her?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CuteStar*)
    I like going to interviews and shaking hands
    How fun your life must be :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by badgerkins)
    I always thought handshaking was more of a manly greeting than a girly one but today, I was with a girl that I was grouped with for a task and we agreed to meet up for coffee to discuss things. Before we left, I offered my hand and there was like a delay in her accepting my shake. Her hand was kinda flimsy aswell with no grip. I didn't want to hug her as I thought that was too much physical contact when we only know each other for less than a week. So just wondering, when it comes to informal greeting, are handshakes weird between guy and girl?
    Some cultures see handshakes between a guy and girl as a sexual act; however, I doubt this was the case.
    some people just don't like to shake hands; especially with men as some some people worry about germs and whether or no the guy has washed his hand etc...

Don't worry about it

ReputationRep:
    I never shake people's hands other than in formal situations, ofc if someone offered me their hand I'd take it and wouldn't find it particularly odd...a hug would be more normal though even from a guy
    Also, most girls have pathetic handshakes...part of my advice from a mock interview was to get a stronger handshake

ReputationRep:
    Handshakes are fine in a formal setting, but you were just having coffee like friends, a handshake at the end of it must've seemed unusual and a bit funny. Live and learn.

ReputationRep:
    You don't really handshake, you kinda put your hand out as if you were handshaking but don't shake it and just hold her hand tight, look into her eyes, and smile.

But last night I went out with a couple of girls I only just met (went with a mate too) and I liked the one more than the other, so when I saw them today I hugged the one I liked and gave the other one a guy buddy handshake. She wasn't too pleased and looked awkward lol.

ReputationRep:
    Just go for a casual (rather than ultra-formal) handshake. Side-on rather than straight-on.

ReputationRep:
    You could've given a "half-hug". Just loosely hug them with one arm

ReputationRep:
    I like giving handshake-hugs.
    But my handshakes are quite firm so I'm careful when shaking girls' hands :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    Bow before her next time. And if she does not reply with a curtsey, walk away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willum Infanta)
    Bow before her next time. And if she does not reply with a curtsey, walk away.
    I lol'd

ReputationRep:
    Ah ****, I think I freaked her out :/

ReputationRep:
    I live handshakes because I give firm ones which people are always surprised by because I'm a girl :rolleyes:

If you feel she won't like it, give her an airkiss on either cheek thing (this seems to be the done thing between guys and girls I think) or a handshake-hug (love handshake-hugs but hate - with a passion - airkisses on cheeks. Do you make kissing sounds? Do you purse your lips? Arggh!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by badgerkins)
    Ah ****, I think I freaked her out :/
    Don't stress about it. Just greet her with a handshake-hug next time and she'll just thing handshakes are your thing but you're being a bit less formal today :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 30, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.