The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm a bit weird about handshakes.. especially outside of formal things like interviews etc.

Plus, I'd worry that you'd been for a wee and hadn't washed your hands, I'm a little bit odd like that.
i love shaking hands!!
sometimes when i'm drunk if i don't greet someone i don't know by a hug i shake their hand instead haha it just comes natural lol. i think it's just cos i love contact with other people... i loove holding hands too :smile:
shaking hands tho amuses me for some reason.
I always shake people's hands....especially when meeting on a night out.
no i dont think they are, i would much prefer a handshake than have some strange dude hugging me
I have honestly never shaken someone's hand unless it was an official sort of thing. :unsure:
I would think you were joking to be honest. :p: Much rather a hug.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3047/2700363713_2f6d330934_o.jpg

this is the only suitable pic i could find on google images, so don't read to much into it. but that's how you shake a girl's hand i guess, but it's a bit archaic now, and err, lame. i normally only shake peoples hand when they offer it (and some girls do), i don't really see the point
Jeffy91
You don't really handshake, you kinda put your hand out as if you were handshaking but don't shake it and just hold her hand tight, look into her eyes, and smile.

But last night I went out with a couple of girls I only just met (went with a mate too) and I liked the one more than the other, so when I saw them today I hugged the one I liked and gave the other one a guy buddy handshake. She wasn't too pleased and looked awkward lol.

Ohh....that would make me feel really quite awkward too.
I always handshake :biggrin:
Maybe she has an odd thing about handshaking because she might have sweaty or really warm or reall cold or dry hands or something, or maybe she has a problem with germs..
I personally like handshakes :biggrin:
I generally like to Curtsey.
Grab both hands and shake like you've never shook before while looking her dead in the eye and grinning.

That's how the professionals do it
Reply 30
badgerkins
I always thought handshaking was more of a manly greeting than a girly one but today, I was with a girl that I was grouped with for a task and we agreed to meet up for coffee to discuss things. Before we left, I offered my hand and there was like a delay in her accepting my shake. Her hand was kinda flimsy aswell with no grip. I didn't want to hug her as I thought that was too much physical contact when we only know each other for less than a week. So just wondering, when it comes to informal greeting, are handshakes weird between guy and girl?

I do it all the time when I'm meeting new guys AND girls. It's a great start and it means you break the touch barrier right away.
I like firm, short handshakes. If you're going to shake hands weakly, why bother at all? It just feels like you're too lazy to put any effort into it.
Reply 32
no, i do it...

... but then people say i'm manly. but then again do i really want to go up to a random stranger and give them a socking great big hug?

makes sense. i hate social ettiquette:/
girls always have the "wet fish" handshake
Reply 34
I shake hands quite a lot :colondollar: If I meet anyone new I automatically stretch out my hand for them to shake :h: I have a good firm handshake, it's the way to go :biggrin:
Reply 35
Phillipsherman
girls always have the "wet fish" handshake

not all of us :colonhash:

:mmm:
Reply 36
i've never shaken hands with someone unless it was at new year haha.
i think its a bit formal, couldn't you have just said "goodbye" ?
Cool Cat
not all of us :colonhash:

:mmm:

all of you.
I find handshakes weird to be honest - not in a formal situation like an interview; that's normal. But just after something like that? I'd be a little like...oh right...odd.
Reply 39
I don't think handshakes are that weird. Infact i find hugs more uncomftable. I usually get the 'evil look' from my mother when i shake hands with my relatives instead of hugging them. It seems a bit formal if you over think the situation, but it's the safer option.

Latest

Trending

Trending