The Student Room Group
London South Bank University
London

London Southbank University

Can anyone help? I'm thinking about studying undergraduate Business at London SouthBank University next year. Moving to London is a big move for me so I want to make sure I get it right and study at the right University.

Has anyone been to LSBU or heard any positive/negaive stories about LSBU.

Advice and opinions welcomed!
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I applied for London South Bank this year. If you're expected to get good grades, I would think twice before you apply. Imo they devalue their university as a whole by giving such low offers to applicants. Some may see that as a good thing, but in my case, it did make me question their reasoning for this.

In my case, I applied for E-Business (IT) and they wanted a BTEC National Certificate grade PP.... That's equivalent to 2 A levels at grade E! My predicted grade (and actual result) was a National Diploma IT Practitioners Grade DDD (Equivalent to 3 A levels at grade A) Given my grade prediction, you'd think they'd make a more logical offer, such as DDM or something. (Or whatever their typical entry requirements were.) My guess is that they do it so that people choose LSBU as their insurance choice. (safe bet) On the other hand, one could question that logic given the fact that they wouldn't have been short of applicants this year. (surely?)

Perhaps I'm wrong and maybe they were just being nice to me. However, I've heard of other surprising stories about them too.
(edited 13 years ago)
London
Reply 2
I'm the same, have applied for London Southbank to study Theraputic Radiography but haven't really heard much about the University. Would like to know what it's like...
Reply 3
it has a pretty poor reputation and standing within Greater London and ranks consistently in the lower regions of the uni league tables year after year. Of course - its not all about rankings and reputation and if they have a course that perhaps not many other universities are offering then of course it would be worth a look. It's location the capital is an advantage and I'm sure its possible to have a good three years there but if you're looking for a university that is even mildly prestigious and has good graduate employment records then South Bank will most probably not be for you.
Reply 4
No point whatsoever going to Uni if the best you can do is LSBU. You would be better of trying to get an apprenticeship or something.
Reply 5
I've applied there as a back-up because they're running a combined social work and mental health nursing degree, and dual qualifications would be super-handy for jobs. It's sponsored by the Maudsley, too, who I have great respect for.
Reply 6
Most of the time you find that the people who slag it off the most actually haven't been there or have just heard rumours. I applied there and chose it as my insurance with Winchester as my firm. When i didn't get into my firm i was upset because i thought LSBU was a crap uni, I went to visit and the place looks amazing, everyone is friendly and so what if their reputation or ranking isn't great? I've been to a few other higher up uni's and they don't look all that impressive tbh, don't judge a book by its cover, go for a taster course or an open day to get a feel for it. Its central to everything, and its top 6 for starting salaries. I was offered quite a low entry but maybe they just realise grades aren't everything and intellect can't be measured by our sometimes naff education system.
'Psychology is rather like dective work.'
Taken from their website. Presuming they meant detective... so... from that I'm going to say it's not great.
Original post by SmartFool
No point whatsoever going to Uni if the best you can do is LSBU. You would be better of trying to get an apprenticeship or something.

This might sound harsh but this piece of advice is spot on.
Reply 9
"and its top 6 for starting salaries"

I highly doubt that LBSU graduates are sixth in the UK for starting salary...
Reply 10
I've applied to do Social Work at LSBU and they are asking for higher grades than other (higher ranked) universities. It's not my first choice but if they offered me a place, I wouldn't say no.
Reply 11
Original post by crashdoll
I've applied to do Social Work at LSBU and they are asking for higher grades than other (higher ranked) universities. It's not my first choice but if they offered me a place, I wouldn't say no.

They will offer you a place if you fail to make the grades. It's just a trick to get people to think the standards are OK. In reality they have places going in clearing well into December - 3 months after the start of their courses. I read a recent article about it in the Times. It's a dodgy outfit IMO. They just want the bums on seats, for the income.
Reply 12
Original post by Picaa
They will offer you a place if you fail to make the grades. It's just a trick to get people to think the standards are OK. In reality they have places going in clearing well into December - 3 months after the start of their courses. I read a recent article about it in the Times. It's a dodgy outfit IMO. They just want the bums on seats, for the income.

I never thought about like that. Hmmm. Fingers crossed I get my one of my top 3 then. :wink:
Dude, I go there now studying English literature, its pretty poor, I'm leaving at the end of the year, hopefully transfering to kent or something similar (a huge jump).

Halls are good (Mclaren house)
The ONLY good point about LSBU is that its so damn close to Central London, 10 minutes on the tube to trafalgar and piccadilly, which is exceeeellent.

I am embarresed to go here, cant wait to leave.
Original post by Midnight12
...its pretty poor...I am embarresed to go here, cant wait to leave.

Just wondering, what exactly do you dislike about it? Bad teaching?

I am doing my Masters in International Management there and think it's decent.
It's practically bottom on most league tables, alot of the people who go there I'm surprised even got in in the first place (yes I'm a snob). It doesn't have a good uni feel like somewhere such as leeds or Manchester, it just feels like a college or something, no soul to it.
Elephant and Castle is a ****hole to be blunt.
I don't see how its decent in any way shape or form.
It's practically bottom on most league tables

And you found out about that only after you got in?

alot of the people who go there I'm surprised even got in in the first place

I'll give you that one, especially on undergrad level. The class mates in my MA programme are decent though, with a few bright heads.

It doesn't have a good uni feel like somewhere such as leeds or Manchester

How would you know what a good uni feels like if you've only went to LSBU?

Elephant and Castle is a ****hole to be blunt.

That's true, but if you live in McLaren (like I do), you're actually closer to Waterloo and Lambeth, which are decent areas. And do you think UEL, Greenwich, TVU and the likes are in better locations? If you want Strand, Aldwych, or Knightsbridge locations, you'll have to pay double or triple than what you pay at LSBU (and you get worse buildings than Keyworth and K2, which are brilliant).

I don't see how its decent in any way shape or form.

I was referring to the facilities and the quality of teaching, which really is the most important thing.
Reply 17
I think you will be ok if you go for a vocational course over there, anything else would be waste of time and money. I have some friends that went to LSBU, the ones with the vocational degrees (ie physiotherapy) went on to graduate jobs straight away, they ones with BA degrees are not doing so well.
I know what a good uni feels like because I've been to Leeds, Manc and Birmingham, I've met a ton of people from each, have been on nights out there, and been to open days.

If your enjoying it, don't worry
Reply 19
I went to LSBU for a year - i'd like to say that the reason they have such high graduate starting salaries is because a large portion of the student population are part time students who work during the day, and have built careers, so when they graduate of course they can expect a higher starting salary.

I did think some of the teaching was good - but some of it was really really poor - I had a lecturer who'd never even studied the subject herself, she had some of the worst english i've ever come across, and every week she went to the wrong lecture room... every week.... we missed half the class waiting for her to cop on!!!! I transferred out after 1st year because I knew that nobody in the sector I work in would take me seriously with a degree from LSBU. When we sat our exams, everyone was chatting and obviously cheating! For crying out loud, one of our exams was multiple choice!

But I have to say, my boyfriend is doing a HNC there and its good for him because he never got past GCSE level at school, so to be able to go back 10 years later and try again has been good for him - and I know the Nursing degree is well thought of - so if you're doing something like that, it'd be a good place to go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending