Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i have transferred to brookes this year from another uni and am on my 1st of three years on an engineering degree.

because i had to repeat my foundation year that makes a total of five years worth of tuition fees maintenance loan and grant that i need.

student finance are only now telling me that i will not receive a grant or tuition fees this year because im only allowed a max of 4 years funding, but they will pay for my last two years (which is stupid!)

i would be able to get funding for the last year from another company but not the first but student finance wont budge, not sure is its in the contract and its always been like this but it means that i will have to drop out if i cant pay

ReputationRep:
    Or you find a part time job

ReputationRep:
    wait what?
    i'm doing a foundation year now, and then a 4 yr course after, so i'll be doing 5 years in total, does that mean i won't get funding for one of them then? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, SFE only fund you for 4 years max

ReputationRep:
    id have to be really lucky to find a part time job that would pay enough for tuition and living costs, any other ideas?

ReputationRep:
    No it's not 4 years max, it's the length of your course plus 1 year, so OP is doing a 3 year course, meaning they are entitled to 4 years finance. However they spent 2 years doing a 1 year foundation course, so that means they need 5 years finance for a 3 year degree.

OP, I don't think SF will budge on this I'm afraid. To whoever suggested getting a job, typical unhelpful reply - how is a full time student supposed to find the £3290 tuition fees plus enough to live off for the year? OP I'm guessing your only option is to drop out for a year to save up, or get a commercial loan.

ReputationRep:
    Unlucky. Get a job. Beg from your 'rents, whatever you have to do

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the reply modgepodge.

the number 1 typical unhelpful answer was "ask your parents" (quote student finance)

It would have been nice for some warning is all, i dont see how they can just drop this upon a student without warning.....

looking into a sponsor or something but it looks like a gap year is the best solution.

i also looked into a commercial loan but like most students i dont have a good enough credit rating for a loan of this amount, so thats out the window.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dom0)
    It would have been nice for some warning is all, i dont see how they can just drop this upon a student without warning......
    Actually, making sure you are aware of the terms of the contract you're getting into is your responsibility, not theirs. And the fact that you can get funding for the length of your degree + one year is quoted in every SLC leaflet you will find. Plus, you probably had more than enough opportunities to contact financial advisors, either people from SFE or your former university. It is really obvious that transfering to another place/starting a new degree/repeating years would have financial consequences and you really should have thought about these things earlier. Hopefully you'll learn something from this experience and do get to continue on your engineering degree.

ReputationRep:
    that's why i have posted it up, so others can learn too. im not so sure that everyone reads all the details fully (even though they should)

being a government funded organisation i would have thought it would be in there best interest to have as many people as possible to be putting money back into the system after they are qualified/certified. what good is not funding me for an extra year and forcing me to drop out acomplishing

ReputationRep:
    Unless it's changed recently, SFE used to fund you for 5 years. A friend dropped out of his degree after 2 years at Salford, and he's just finished 3 years at Sheffield.

ReputationRep:
    The regulations on this haven't changed for years, so you should really have taken some advice before going ahead with a transfer. The only workaround is if the Oxford Brookes course has the integrated foundation year, which would increase the course length.

ReputationRep:
    Damn it, I thought this was gonna be some sort of angry sex story.

ReputationRep:
    It’s not their fault you did a foundation year and transferred, they will only pay for 1 year extra which is pretty good. You may want to contact your bank, get a student loan from them if you have to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    Damn it, I thought this was gonna be some sort of angry sex story.
    haha, i wish! maybe thats how i can get some money :whip:???

the brookes course is exactly the same at the foundation i did at portsmouth, so its nothing to do with the transfer.

think the answer may be a hardship loan........

ReputationRep:
    They pay you for your course length and 1 extra year, it's unlikely they'll make an exception.

ReputationRep:
    They won't make an exception, the only thing you could possible try to do is see if they will finance this year, and sign something to say that you are responsible to one of the latter years, and that you acknowledge the help will not be available. To be fair as well, this has been the case for at least a few years, and you should have looked into all of this before starting. I am onto my second attempt at a degree, but before I even applied I contacted them and they pointed me in the direction of all of the terms and conditions etc. If your parents could maybe pay part and then work for the rest?

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't work that way, Roxy. The regulations are set in stone, and by law there's no room for manouvere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dom0)
    being a government funded organisation i would have thought it would be in there best interest to have as many people as possible to be putting money back into the system after they are qualified/certified.
    Which is exactly why they have the 'length of degree + plus 1' system - it is recognized that kids at that age may make mistakes or rethink their options/choices. The 'plus 1' funding gives everyone the benefit of doubt, making sure that people have the opportunity to correct their mistakes and then successfully complete whatever degree they think is right for them and put that money back out there once they have graduated. However, if the government were to fund studies for 5, 6, or 7 (+) years then the probability that the money put into educating people may not be put back out there is likely to be far greater (knowing that you'll be funded for a significant length of time may make some people intentionally delay their decisions, not take higher education seriously, simply prolong their childhood and party at the expense of other people, etc.).

ReputationRep:
    Hi Just reading this, I am currently repeating my foundation year in environtmental science, The course is a 4year course in all including foundation year, so as i am on my 2nd year of finance does this mean with course + 1year i will still have the next three years after this one financed? Please Help, Thankyou x

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.