Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Which course is the most interesting, offers good career prospects etc

BTW What do people think of Nottingham University.

I'd like to apply to a few medicine w/ foundation courses and a few life science courses

ReputationRep:
    Rather than picking biochemistry, pick biomedical science because it's more broad and you can more easily switch courses to doing biochemistry after a year of biomedical science than switching to do biomedical science after doing biochemistry.
    Neuroscience is fascinating, but it's probably more useful to do biomedical science rather than neuroscience if you would like to do medicine later on. Plus neuroscience is more competitive, so you have to tailor your personal statement to neuroscience more, whereas you can do a more 'mixed' personal statement for biomedical science.
    Neuroscience, however, probably has better career prospects. Then again, you cover some neuroscience in biomedical science too, so it's up to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollywoodbudgie)
    Rather than picking biochemistry, pick biomedical science because it's more broad and you can more easily switch courses to doing biochemistry after a year of biomedical science than switching to do biomedical science after doing biochemistry.
    Neuroscience is fascinating, but it's probably more useful to do biomedical science rather than neuroscience if you would like to do medicine later on. Plus neuroscience is more competitive, so you have to tailor your personal statement to neuroscience more, whereas you can do a more 'mixed' personal statement for biomedical science.
    Neuroscience, however, probably has better career prospects. Then again, you cover some neuroscience in biomedical science too, so it's up to you.
    Thanks alot, I think I would like to apply for 1 biomed course and 1 neuroscience course and if I later decide to to medicine, both courses are acceptable..If you don't mind, could you read my personal statement it's very medicine orientated so i'm worried.. Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    I would also recommend Biomed as it's incredibly easy to switch courses after the first year (including to Biochem, Neuroscience and at some places even Medicine).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popadom)
    I would also recommend Biomed as it's incredibly easy to switch courses after the first year (including to Biochem, Neuroscience and at some places even Medicine).
    I want to apply to

UEA,Southampton and Kings (for medicine w/foundation year)
    Essex (for biomedical science)
    Nottingham (for Neuroscience)

What do you think, or should I ditch the neuroscience for biomed

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure as I didn't look at any of those places when I was applying, but it might be worth looking at Bradford as I'm sure they allow you to swap from Biomed to Medicine after a year. Can't really help you with Neuroscience though as it's something I never even considered!

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for Biochem Unsure on job fronts though after I've completed the degree....is it advised to go for a course which offers a year in industry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Toe)
    Thanks alot, I think I would like to apply for 1 biomed course and 1 neuroscience course and if I later decide to to medicine, both courses are acceptable..If you don't mind, could you read my personal statement it's very medicine orientated so i'm worried.. Thanks again!
    I'd love to, but I haven't been approved to become a PS helper yet.
    :facepalm: I have applied, it's just taking a while.

When I am, I'll help of course.
    Thanks for the rep btw :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure as I didn't look at any of those places when I was applying, but it might be worth looking at Bradford as I'm sure they allow you to swap from Biomed to Medicine after a year. Can't really help you with Neuroscience though as it's something I never even considered!
    Braford, is it the one where they transfer you to medicine at Leeds? Is the transfer guaranteed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Toe)
    Braford, is it the one where they transfer you to medicine at Leeds? Is the transfer guaranteed?
    I'm not sure of the details as it was my friend looking at it (I'm one of the rare few doing Biomed who doesn't want to do Medicine :p: )
    It won't be guaranteed, most likely it'll be the top few students who get the opportunity.

ReputationRep:
    Biochem...Biomed is what everyone seems to do, all the failed med students but at least with biochem you get real people.

ReputationRep:
    Biomed I say.

But Neuroscience has great prestige.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollywoodbudgie)
    REALLY!!! I thought that neuroscience isn't really a popular course and so it is less competitive. I will be applying for 2 neuroscience courses and 3 biomed but, tbh i am leaning towards neuroscience . It was quite difficult writing my personal statement but i tried to focus on the aspect of a biomedical science degree that involves neuroscience, trying to find a common ground between the two courses.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure of the details as it was my friend looking at it (I'm one of the rare few doing Biomed who doesn't want to do Medicine :p: )
    It won't be guaranteed, most likely it'll be the top few students who get the opportunity.
    Do you go bradford I think i'll look into it and see

ReputationRep:
    I'd go with neuroscience, if it was me c:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Toe)
    Oh no sorry, I'm at Manchester But at college when we were applying a friend of mine who wants to do Medicine was looking at Bradford but ended up going to Newcastle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by agolati)
    Biomed I say.

But Neuroscience has great prestige.
    err..more confused

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Toe)
    Nope, any of those courses in which their is a transfer available into Medicine is not guaranteed, there are a set of conditions to be fulfilled before you can transfer i.e. getting a certain mark, Work Experience, Interview etc. In fact the chances are very slim, it's extremely competitive with over 90% of the people on those courses wanting to make the transfer. Unless you really like the course/university, I'd say stay away from them, it's just there to lure you in to picking that.

If you really want to do medicine, you can opt for grad entry and either degree (Biochemistry, Biomedical Science or Neuroscience) would be perfectly acceptable. If you're heart is set onto medicine and you have the grades and everything, why don't you give it a shot now ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liverpool F.C.™)
    Nope, any of those courses in which their is a transfer available into Medicine is not guaranteed, there are a set of conditions to be fulfilled before you can transfer i.e. getting a certain mark, Work Experience, Interview etc. In fact the chances are very slim, it's extremely competitive with over 90% of the people on those courses wanting to make the transfer. Unless you really like the course/university, I'd say stay away from them, it's just there to lure you in to picking that.

If you really want to do medicine, you can opt for grad entry and either degree (Biochemistry, Biomedical Science or Neuroscience) would be perfectly acceptable. If you're heart is set onto medicine and you have the grades and everything, why don't you give it a shot now ?
    thanks for this. I haven't heard much of bradford and the trasnfer to medicine thing really did lure me in..lol. I think I will stay away. I have the grades for medicine. I'm applying for medicine as well as some life science courses..I just couldn't decide between neuroscience, biomed and biochem. My plan was to go for 3 medicine courses, 1 biomedical course and 1 neuroscience course ..hmmm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Toe)
    no i'm at Uni Pennsylvania.

just see what you wanna do. biomed = greater chance for med.
    the others are better degrees.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.