Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by agolati)
    no i'm at Uni Pennsylvania.

just see what you wanna do. biomed = greater chance for med.
    the others are better degrees.
    Increased raw prevalence does not equate to increased success. Just because the majority of failed medics drag themselves to biomedicine does not neccesarily mean that the course in particular increases your chances of success over any other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Increased raw prevalence does not equate to increased success. Just because the majority of failed medics drag themselves to biomedicine does not neccesarily mean that the course in particular increases your chances of success over any other.
    xD failed medics drag themselves to biomedicine..I like it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollywoodbudgie)
    Neuroscience is fascinating, but it's probably more useful to do biomedical science rather than neuroscience if you would like to do medicine later on.
    Not necessarily. Loads of people applying will have done a BMS degree; a neuroscience degree gives you something different.

Plus neuroscience is more competitive, so you have to tailor your personal statement to neuroscience more, whereas you can do a more 'mixed' personal statement for biomedical science.
    You can get into both of those degrees without much strain with a completely medicine-focused personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of medicine applicants who try to transfer from a course like biomed/biochem - you may stand a better chance of transferring from a slightly more interesting/unusual course like Neuroscience.
    I applied to both Medicine and neuroscience at Manchester for this reason and was given offers by both, and will be reapplying for a Neuroscience backup this year because I genuinely am interested in it and if I don't get into Medicine again, I still have a degree I would love to be doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollywoodbudgie)
    Rather than picking biochemistry, pick biomedical science because it's more broad and you can more easily switch courses to doing biochemistry after a year of biomedical science than switching to do biomedical science after doing biochemistry.
    Neuroscience is fascinating, but it's probably more useful to do biomedical science rather than neuroscience if you would like to do medicine later on. Plus neuroscience is more competitive, so you have to tailor your personal statement to neuroscience more, whereas you can do a more 'mixed' personal statement for biomedical science.
    Neuroscience, however, probably has better career prospects. Then again, you cover some neuroscience in biomedical science too, so it's up to you.
    I actually think it would be easier to transfer from biochem to biomed. I was at the Warwick uni open day and the admissions tutor said that biochem students could transfer to any other bioscience but this wasn't possible for those on other courses as they would have missed out the chemistry component.

ReputationRep:
    What are the career prospects like for biochem and biomed? From doing some research it looks to me like after doing biochem you can either do further research at uni, work in industry or as a 'medical biochemist' in a hospital. are your options really this open after doing the degree or are you more likely to have just one career path? also i got the impression biomed was a bit of a dead end, with few job prospects. is this correct?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plankey)
    What are the career prospects like for biochem and biomed? From doing some research it looks to me like after doing biochem you can either do further research at uni, work in industry or as a 'medical biochemist' in a hospital. are your options really this open after doing the degree or are you more likely to have just one career path? also i got the impression biomed was a bit of a dead end, with few job prospects. is this correct?
    I decided to stick with biochemistry in the end. They're more diverse career routes in biochemistry. Also, I personally would enjoy studying biochemistry, the way the body works on a molecular level interests me a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecdon)
    I'm applying for Biochem Unsure on job fronts though after I've completed the degree....is it advised to go for a course which offers a year in industry?
    Yes, especially if you want to work in a research environment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Toe)
    I decided to stick with biochemistry in the end. They're more diverse career routes in biochemistry. Also, I personally would enjoy studying biochemistry, the way the body works on a molecular level interests me a lot.

ok thanks, I think I'll be doing the same

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.