The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Reue
So after ignoring their letters for over a year, the inspectors finally came knocking at my door.

They spent a long time trying to get details and be allowed entry to the house. Very pushy, very rude, tried to convince me that I 'had' to let them in.

Apparently I can expect a visit from a "3rd party" to come and inspect next time. lol.

My dads house has been unoccupied for years now and due to the fact its pretty much falling down, we don't exactly sit down and watch tv in it..my dads told them and they still keep on with the letters. Let em waste their time :smile:

I suspect we'll have them soon...apparently they've dispatched their 'enforcement team' ^^
Reply 21
WelshBluebird
If you do not watch live TV, then you do not need a licence.

There is also an exemption, whereby if you are a student living away from you parents, then you do not need a licence aslong as you are using a portable device (a laptop on a wifi network running off its battey would count) and as long as your parents have a licence.

interesting, im guessing that the laptop is only allowed to run on the battery, not plugged into mains electric for that exemption to work? I havent heard of that one admittedly
Tericon
My dads house has been unoccupied for years now and due to the fact its pretty much falling down, we don't exactly sit down and watch tv in it..my dads told them and they still keep on with the letters. Let em waste their time :smile:

I suspect we'll have them soon...apparently they've dispatched their 'enforcement team' ^^

:rofl: Can only imagine how that looks.
Ruthi-SH
interesting, im guessing that the laptop is only allowed to run on the battery, not plugged into mains electric for that exemption to work? I havent heard of that one admittedly

Yeah, as long as it is powered by a battery, then you are fine :smile:. (I think there is a grey area with regards to say a laptop that is plugged into an ethernet cable, and if that is regarding as portable or not. I'm not sure how exactly the law is worded).
Tericon

We get that for a house we own but haven't lived in for any length of time (nor has it had a TV in it) for about 7 years. Whenever we go to pick up mail from the house, there's a threatening letter from TV License people.
Reply 25
OH ****, don't you know they have those vans with a swirling satellite dish on top and scanners inside driving down streets, and they can pinpoint your room down to 1mm and know that you don't have a TV, due to sophisticated radar equipment?! You do realise the police are going to bust down the door and arrest you and you get fined for the shows they know you watched?
Good on you, no warrant no entry!
Cicerao
OH ****, don't you know they have those vans with a swirling satellite dish on top and scanners inside driving down streets, and they can pinpoint your room down to 1mm and know that you don't have a TV, due to sophisticated radar equipment?! You do realise the police are going to bust down the door and arrest you and you get fined for the shows they know you watched?

They also have towers broadcasting rays which control your mind, but you can prevent this by wearing a hat constructed from aluminium foil.
I would have loved to have heard the whole of that conversation! I'm expecting the threatening letters to start soon in the student house i'm in... no one watches tv, but they had been paying for the licence blindly beacause there's a tv in the house. I've convinced them that the licence is to watch tv, not live in a house with one... almost. If the people do come and one of my housemates opens the door, there's no way they'd try to deny entry. Shame. I would, just because I can.
Tericon

I imagine something like thunderbirds :p:
Reply 30
I've followed your posts on this for a while buddy.

Keep up the good work. :smile:
Reply 31
Classic Reue!
Reply 32
Reue
So after ignoring their letters for over a year, the inspectors finally came knocking at my door.

They spent a long time trying to get details and be allowed entry to the house. Very pushy, very rude, tried to convince me that I 'had' to let them in.

Apparently I can expect a visit from a "3rd party" to come and inspect next time. lol.

so did you eventually let them in?
Reply 33
W.H.T
so did you eventually let them in?

Lol.
Reply 34
Jolly good. Don't forget to put in a complaint against the chap!
I wonder if these people get paid on comission... Would make sense.
veggie4life
haha when they knocked on my door i simply opened it said "no comment" closed the door in his face and carried on watching TV.

ROFL.

I have just moved back to halls and that customary letter has been sent to all of us. I just threw it in the bin and the chinese guy next to me can't understand english all that well :biggrin:
Reply 37
My mum got a load of threatening TV licence letters in a flat that was empty and on the market for sale. She got really freaked out about it, I can well believe that there are people who pay up without needing one.

Friend of mine at uni got a visit from some TV licence people after a load of threatening letters. He produced his TV licence, showed it to them and told them to sod off.
Tuppenny
Friend of mine at uni got a visit from some TV licence people after a load of threatening letters. He produced his TV licence, showed it to them and told them to sod off.

See, I actually WISH they would visit.
Just so I can see how they react when they're not allowed in :biggrin:
Reply 39
Reue
Lol.

Ok stupid question. How dare I question your tv-licence-dodging abilities.

So what did you do as they tried to bluffed their way in?
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending