Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For my ASs I got ABBCC. I know they are not awful, but they are not what I was expecting.
    I am predicted AAA, so I dont know whether it is worth applying to good universities or would they overlook me because of my AS grades, which would probably look really bad next to other peoples AAAA grades? Im thinking of places like Durham, Warwick, Southampton and Nottingham??

any help appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    your still predicted AAA so go for it, just ensure you apply for 2 that aren't AAA (one thats ABB and one thats really low as back ups), but dont feel back i got CCCD (d being general studies) at As i am applying for uni's that are BBB and things below, however you don't stand much chance at oxbridge so its not worth using the option up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -kit-kat-)
    For my ASs I got ABBCC. I know they are not awful, but they are not what I was expecting.
    I am predicted AAA, so I dont know whether it is worth applying to good universities or would they overlook me because of my AS grades, which would probably look really bad next to other peoples AAAA grades? Im thinking of places like Durham, Warwick, Southampton and Nottingham??

any help appreciated!
    You'd be at a real disadvantage unless you had mitigating circumstances for getting those grades when compared against other candidates. You'd need strong GCSEs to show that the ability to get straight As is there.

Durham, Nottingham and Warwick would certainly want to see at least AABB with a prediction of AAA/B for most courses. But it depends on which course you're going for of course and the particular departmental requirements.

By all means, go for at least one University asking for AAA but make sure the majority of your choices ask for ABB or similar to be on the safe side and make a competitive application.

If you re-sat some AS exams and got AAA at A2; you'd be able to apply in the next cycle with a much stronger set of grades to those Unis.

ReputationRep:
    I got similar AS results, with the same predicted grades. I took a risk and applied to York and Bath, and it worked out really well, they usually base offers on your predicted grades, and there is always room to retake your AS exams, so it's not the end of the world. Just work hard, apply to the places you would want to go but make sure you vary the level of uni you apply to, worst comes to worst you don't get in to 1 or 2 top universities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choccielatte)
    You'd be at a real disadvantage unless you had mitigating circumstances for getting those grades when compared against other candidates. You'd need strong GCSEs to show that the ability to get straight As is there.

Durham, Nottingham and Warwick would certainly want to see at least AABB with a prediction of AAA/B for most courses. But it depends on which course you're going for of course and the particular departmental requirements.

By all means, go for at least one University asking for AAA but make sure the majority of your choices ask for ABB or similar to be on the safe side and make a competitive application.

If you re-sat some AS exams and got AAA at A2; you'd be able to apply in the next cycle with a much stronger set of grades to those Unis.
    most of the courses Im looking at are AAB, and my GCSEs are A*A*A*A*AAAAB. Ive droped both the subjects I got Cs in, one was critical thinking and Im resitting the other, hopefully to get at least a B.
    The two Bs were close to As, and Im confident I can get them, its just the issue that the unis will see my grades as they are standing now. Do you think its too risky to apply to about 3 places asking for AAB?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -kit-kat-)

any help appreciated!
    I don't think those are bad AS results. Considering that you did 5 thats good going. It shows to the universities that you can stick in there etc. I tried doing 4 AS Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology, but couldn't cope with Bio so had to abandon it and get a U; but managed AAA in Maths, Phys and Chem. So 5 must definitely favour you. Also I've had to pick up AS Further Maths, just to keep volume up because I'm also applying to Durham, Warwick, Nottingham and Southampton and they tend to recommend 3.5 A levels. (For physics anyway).

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.