Turn on thread page Beta

LEFT medicine for Psychology: will I get over this? watch

ReputationRep:
    My story is the following:

Started medicine in 2008, and got put back a year as didnt pass a dissection test.

They made me redo the whooooooooooole year again because of it, and I didn't pass it once again so got asked to withdraw. I had already applied for another course which is psychology in Jan time as a backup- and I've started that but at a met uni. I feel I've wasted two years and every slight medically related word (even in psych lectures) makes my mind race back to medicine again, even when I know I hated studying it: embryology, histology, anatomy , dissections --> it all killed me

On results day, I didn't cry however as I knew I tried my best but was shocked as in the exam I failed I gained a B in the written part and E in dissection.

What can I do to get over it? Will time be the best healer or will I be stuck in this phase forever? I'm sitting here reading posts about people killing each other literally to get into medicine and having been through it can safely say: it's not worth it.

Also, I don't mean to offend anyone- really, but psychology students here are quite different to the medical ones. After lectures half of them go out to smoke, whereas with medicine only one person in the year smoked (their health) and everyone knew who it was. Also the people are less polite, use bad language and are more intimidating. This girl looked at me today and I smiled and then she gave me a look of disgust: I didn't find this in medicine and feel I have either been living in a different world for two years and now have to adjust back to the "real world" or the worlds gone mad or I was protected from seeing this calibra of people before. Dont get me wrong I love psychology though.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    What are you actually asking? (bare in mind that this is the study help forum)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helo_moto)
    Also, I don't mean to offend anyone- really, but psychology students here are quite different to the medical ones. After lectures half of them go out to smoke, whereas with medicine only one person in the year smoked (their health) and everyone knew who it was. Also the people are less polite, use bad language and are more intimidating. This girl looked at me today and I smiled and then she gave me a look of disgust: I didn't find this in medicine and feel I have either been living in a different world for two years and now have to adjust back to the "real world" or the worlds gone mad or I was protected from seeing this calibra of people before. Dont get me wrong I love psychology though.
    What do you expect going to a met uni? Why didn't you apply to a decent one if you were capable of meeting a medicine offer?

ReputationRep:
    Did you go to different unis for each course? If so it's more than likely the uni, not the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    What do you expect going to a met uni? Why didn't you apply to a decent one if you were capable of meeting a medicine offer?
    Very very good point. The best point made on this thread so far.

The OP must have excellent gcse results and straight A grades at a level (or AAB at the very worst), meaning she would have been able to apply/get into psychology at a non-met uni(or whatever the appropriate phrase is). Someone Please correct me if ive said something incorrect in this paragraph.

Although maybe theres something were not seeing ie OP is there a reason why you went to a met uni?? Were there no places at non met unis or some other reason behind your choice??

If it is a genuine mistake, try to keep cool, in life we all make mistakes, learn from them.

OP, may i ask... Youve said 'its not worth it'- please can you elaborate on this, do you mean medicine isnt worth it? If so, why do you say this??
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I think the OP is asking how to get over no longer being at med school and I'm not sure suggesting different Psychology departments will help this.

OP- I do reckon this is a 'time will tell' problem. Either you will slowly forget about med school or it will just be one of those things you have to deal with. As you said, you tried your best and stuck it out twice, now you need to move on. Unfortunately, you may have panicked and rushed in to a psychology course/department that is wrong for you. There is not much we can do about that.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 29, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.