The Student Room Group

River Island recruitment day/interview, HELP?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
How did it go for people? It seems like all RI threads are pretty inactive. I had my interview on Thursday and got offered a job on Friday.

I thought the interview was a bit weird, having to sell the outfit you're wearing. It was al right though! Does anyone know what to wear for the induction? The woman on the phone didn't say and I forgot to ask.
Reply 61
Original post by dunci
How did it go for people? It seems like all RI threads are pretty inactive. I had my interview on Thursday and got offered a job on Friday.

I thought the interview was a bit weird, having to sell the outfit you're wearing. It was al right though! Does anyone know what to wear for the induction? The woman on the phone didn't say and I forgot to ask.

Wear anything suitable for the job, don't wear branded shoes though, that's a big no no!
Reply 62

Original post by MathewC
Wear anything suitable for the job, don't wear branded shoes though, that's a big no no!

I got the job and got induction on Saturday. Does no branded shoes mean converse, Nike blazers, vans etc? Because I wore converse to the recruitment day and got the job and some guy working at river island was wearing vans? Do you get paid for the induction day? What do you do there? Thanks
Reply 63
Original post by MathewC

yeah I'll probably wear the same thing I wore to the interview. I found a few posts on google saying they'll give you a shirt during the induction because you'll be shadowing an employee or something. Oh well, we'll see! Can't wait :smile:
Reply 64
Original post by oconnell95

I got the job and got induction on Saturday. Does no branded shoes mean converse, Nike blazers, vans etc? Because I wore converse to the recruitment day and got the job and some guy working at river island was wearing vans? Do you get paid for the induction day? What do you do there? Thanks

I replied to your PM, your not allowed to wear branded shoes unless the management say so, but if the area management caught you wearing branded shoes you'll be issued a lovely warning.

Original post by dunci
yeah I'll probably wear the same thing I wore to the interview. I found a few posts on google saying they'll give you a shirt during the induction because you'll be shadowing an employee or something. Oh well, we'll see! Can't wait :smile:

Im in a flag ship so my uniform is my own clothes and not the river island tshirt, so you must be in a lower grade store then me. So yes you'll be given a shirt to wear. :smile:

Also take £5 with you as the fob system they use can cost you £5, the fob lets you in and around the store and without it you can't get ANYWHERE. Not all stores make you pay £5, but its worth taking just incase!
Reply 65
Original post by MathewC
I replied to your PM, your not allowed to wear branded shoes unless the management say so, but if the area management caught you wearing branded shoes you'll be issued a lovely warning.

Im in a flag ship so my uniform is my own clothes and not the river island tshirt, so you must be in a lower grade store then me. So yes you'll be given a shirt to wear. :smile:

Also take £5 with you as the fob system they use can cost you £5, the fob lets you in and around the store and without it you can't get ANYWHERE. Not all stores make you pay £5, but its worth taking just incase!

Haha, I don't know if that's the case as I don't know anyone who works at RI in this branch, it's just what I found on google. Thanks though and yeah I will :smile:
Reply 66
Original post by MathewC
Hey!

Just thought I'll add. I've been given the job at RI and had my interview yesterday. So anyone stuck give me a buzz!

I've got my interview on thursday and its 2 hours long, and I am so nervous for this job because i'm scared about the structure of it! Please can you explain what you did, wore etc I really want this job really bad! I love river island clothing and its been a dream of mine to work here cause i shop here for all my clothes/accessories
Bad place, well mine was anyway absolutely hated it, they say interview but they let everyone through lol.
Reply 68
Original post by laurentommo
Bad place, well mine was anyway absolutely hated it, they say interview but they let everyone through lol.

What store did you work in?

Original post by mkhan9035
I've got my interview on thursday and its 2 hours long, and I am so nervous for this job because i'm scared about the structure of it! Please can you explain what you did, wore etc I really want this job really bad! I love river island clothing and its been a dream of mine to work here cause i shop here for all my clothes/accessories

This may help you, one of my previous posts.

Original post by MathewC
Hey,

Just be calm, my interview went like this - There was over 27 of us roughly, we had to do a ice breaker fire round, and then do a presentation in little groups on the three questions we got given, which is always the same (I've had three interviews in total for this company) and then one to one interview. You need to always express how much you love helping and serving customers and that customers feedback and ensuring they get 100% customer service is what drives you, and what gives you the pleasure of working. And for each question you get asked, go into detail as much as you can. Have you had a job before? If so use examples from that job.

Hey :smile:

As i said I've had three interviews, third time lucky, all in different stores in different towns.. Anyhow they all go somewhat like this.

Ice breaker -
quick info about yourself to the rest of the group,

Outfit build -
Either on your own or in a team pick a outfit out for a celebrity, and explain why you all picked this outfit (This is key to talk about as obviously you need to know fashion to work in it!)

Group presentation -
You get given three questions, something like "Why do you want to work for RI, What do you think is required for customer service, What options is there to offer customer service" And then as a group you normally feedback this, this is your IDEAL time to shine, and while in groups the staff will be taking notes on what you say in the group, do you talk? suggest ideas? Even if you dont talk at the end when you show everyone what you've done.

One to one interview -
You'll be asked some questions on what the role covers, ie have you dealt with a customer who's been angry if so how did you deal with this and what was the outcome? 90% of the questions are at least two halfs or three. So don't just say "Yes I kept calm in the situation" Say something like "Yes I kept calm in the situation when a customer felt they didnt receive the service offered, I asked the customer to explain the situation fully so i can understand how I may be able to help or if not how to support the customer in creating a solution for the problem. The outcome was that the customer was referrred the department manager for further help as with I gave the customer my full attention at all times and stayed with the customer until they left the store, to ensure they knew I was their first port of contact"

Hope this help guys! x
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 69
Original post by MathewC
This may help you, one of my previous posts.

I had my interview today and we had an Icebreaker and we were asked "what celebrity would you invite to a party and why?" So I said Cheryl Cole because i'm really obsessed with her new song Call My Name and I can get on that dancefloor and dance that song better than her :biggrin: haha
Then we had a group task and our question was "How can you use your fashion experience to sell and promote products in the store?" so i said take the aztec trend, i could wear the outfit and promote it that way and help customers to build an outfit that's upto date and bang on trend and cater an outfit to that person but taking into account that it might not suit everyone so you keep their options open
then had a 1-2-1 interview with the assitant store manager and got asked questions like give examples of a time you worked under pressure, give an example of a time when you had to help a customer, why do you want to work here, and give an example as to when you worked as part of a team
Overall, I think the interview went quite well and i'm told i'll be hearing by phone on Monday if i've got the job or by e-mail if I haven't... I really hope I have cause it's my dream job
Reply 70
Thought I'd post about my interview, to help people in the future!

Firstly we had to introduce ourselves to the group - name and age (which they technically can't ask you to say because of discrimination law... but anyway). Whether we were in employment/education/whatever. If we could be a celebrity for the day who would we be.

Next was a group exercise. There were 3 questions on a sheet and we had to discuss them, and come up with answers to present to the other groups. During this time we were being observed. Everyone had to speak during the presentation. Question 1 was something like "how would your knowledge of fashion help you sell and promote products?". Question 2 was about customer service. Question 3 was why did we want to work for River Island.

Then in groups of three or four we had to go onto the shop floor and pick an outfit out for a celebrity. We had to present the outfit to everyone, without saying who it was, to see if they could guess.

That's it. No individual part at all, which is a shame.
Reply 71
Original post by Poppyxx

Firstly we had to introduce ourselves to the group - name and age (which they technically can't ask you to say because of discrimination law... but anyway). Whether we were in employment/education/whatever. If we could be a celebrity for the day who would we be.

Next was a group exercise. There were 3 questions on a sheet and we had to discuss them, and come up with answers to present to the other groups. During this time we were being observed. Everyone had to speak during the presentation. Question 1 was something like "how would your knowledge of fashion help you sell and promote products?". Question 2 was about customer service. Question 3 was why did we want to work for River Island.

Then in groups of three or four we had to go onto the shop floor and pick an outfit out for a celebrity. We had to present the outfit to everyone, without saying who it was, to see if they could guess.

Ah, it's a shame you didn't have 1-2-1 as I felt that was the golden part for me back in my interview. But good luck none the less!

I had my interview today and we had an Icebreaker and we were asked "what celebrity would you invite to a party and why?" So I said Cheryl Cole because i'm really obsessed with her new song Call My Name and I can get on that dancefloor and dance that song better than her :biggrin: haha
Then we had a group task and our question was "How can you use your fashion experience to sell and promote products in the store?" so i said take the aztec trend, i could wear the outfit and promote it that way and help customers to build an outfit that's upto date and bang on trend and cater an outfit to that person but taking into account that it might not suit everyone so you keep their options open
then had a 1-2-1 interview with the assitant store manager and got asked questions like give examples of a time you worked under pressure, give an example of a time when you had to help a customer, why do you want to work here, and give an example as to when you worked as part of a team
Overall, I think the interview went quite well and i'm told i'll be hearing by phone on Monday if i've got the job or by e-mail if I haven't... I really hope I have cause it's my dream job

Good luck! :smile: Which stores did you both apply for?
Reply 72
Original post by MathewC

Good luck! :smile: Which stores did you both apply for?

I applied to the store in Burnley (in the north west) and still haven't heard back from her yet :frown: No email or phone call!!
Reply 73
Original post by MathewC

I dunno which store you work out, but that's a bit weird?
I've worked at river for nearly over a year now and my area manager or even my managers haven't said anything about branded shoes to me. Every store is on 'river clothing uniform' now.
You had to pay £5 for the fob system? I swear it says in our handbooks that we don't have to pay for them! Thats part of the job, being able to get in and out on stockrooms etc (even then you shouldn't have a fob to the main stockrooms only opps)
Reply 74
Original post by Poppyxx

That's really annoying because i have an interview also and was hoping that they give me some time on 1-2-1 because I know that i can have the edge using my words. You have to answer why you would like to work for RI as a group!? that is very low.
Reply 75
I was told i'd hear back by Monday by phone if i have it or email if i haven't and it's tuesday and haven't heard either way :frown: What do i do???
Reply 76
Original post by MrWill
That's really annoying because i have an interview also and was hoping that they give me some time on 1-2-1 because I know that i can have the edge using my words. You have to answer why you would like to work for RI as a group!? that is very low.

some interviews do 1-2-1, i had 1-2-1 with mine, depends how many people they are (a group of 25+ people will takes ages to do 1-2-1 interviews which last 5 minutes each?)
Also it's not why you wanna work for RI, it's more what do you think about RI, what is RI to you (trendy, high street etc.)
Reply 77
I was told i'd hear back by Monday by phone if i have it or email if i haven't and it's tuesday and haven't heard either way :frown: What do i do???

Alot of stores take ages to ring people back, if you feel up to it, ring the store and just ask, there's nothing wrong doing that, just state that if you didn't get the job, you just want personal feedback so you can improve for next time.
Reply 78
Original post by jcrich
Alot of stores take ages to ring people back, if you feel up to it, ring the store and just ask, there's nothing wrong doing that, just state that if you didn't get the job, you just want personal feedback so you can improve for next time.

Yeah I got the email and didn't get it :frown: *sigh* but I may ring up to ask why I didn't get it, cheers any way
Reply 79
I applied to the store in Burnley (in the north west) and still haven't heard back from her yet :frown: No email or phone call!!

Yeah I got the email and didn't get it :frown: *sigh* but I may ring up to ask why I didn't get it, cheers any way

Sorry you didn't get it, but ring up and ask for feedback! It's always nice to know what went wrong!!

Original post by jcrich
I dunno which store you work out, but that's a bit weird?
I've worked at river for nearly over a year now and my area manager or even my managers haven't said anything about branded shoes to me. Every store is on 'river clothing uniform' now.
You had to pay £5 for the fob system? I swear it says in our handbooks that we don't have to pay for them! Thats part of the job, being able to get in and out on stockrooms etc (even then you shouldn't have a fob to the main stockrooms only opps)

I've worked at two different stores, one grade 1, and current flag ship store and both have always said no branded shoes which display logos or names, again £5 for the fob was to ensure no damage happens and you get it back if you leave the company. My fob works in the main stockrooms as does all staff apart from till teams.. It's where our customer holds go, as with its also got footwear in.

Original post by MrWill

Why is it low? I don't see it being a problem.

Original post by jcrich
some interviews do 1-2-1, i had 1-2-1 with mine, depends how many people they are (a group of 25+ people will takes ages to do 1-2-1 interviews which last 5 minutes each?)
Also it's not why you wanna work for RI, it's more what do you think about RI, what is RI to you (trendy, high street etc.)

Back when I had my interview, there was over 25 people and they did 1-2-1 and yes it took a while haha, but the questions was all based on customers and fashion like you said.

Quick Reply

Latest