Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shine0)
    Hi there,

I worked for River Island for two years so I may be able to help!

First of all since it is a fashion retailer make sure you are up to date with current trends as they will probably ask you about current ladies and mens trends. Also obviously dress to impress!!

The main thing with RI like most other retailers is their attention to customer service. Talk about what you think excellent customer service is, how you can exceed the customers expectations. They want confident people who arnt afraid to engage with the customer and to approach customers. Also be prepared to talk about working in a team.... that could be work or school or something.

They may ask:

What do you know about River Island?
    Who are our target market?
    Who are our competitiors?
    What makes us different? ( their fab customer service and customer attention )
    Tell us about a time when you have gone out of your way to exceed the expectations of others?
    What is good customer service?
    How would you deliver this to our customers?

Just remember that everything needs to be about the customer.

When I first started with RI I just had a 1 on 1 interview so I can imagine with the assessment day theyre looking for people who will really stand out... so try and include yourself as much as possible and be confident. And dont worry, whats the worst that can happen! Either you get the job (YAYY!!) or you never see them again!!

GOOD LUCK! x
    Do you know the rate of pay for a under 18 by any chance ? Assp

ReputationRep:
    Four pound fifty something an hour

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Any of you having an Interview at Broughton park Chester RI?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natnat16)
    Any of you having an Interview at Broughton park Chester RI?

I had one last week ( at a different store) and they're really laid back nothing to worry about!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rayrayy)
    Do you know the rate of pay for a under 18 by any chance ? Assp
    it's 5.35

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Recia)
    it's 5.35
    It's less than that, like £4.60 ish, I just left the Broughton store and a boy I worked with got £4.68

ReputationRep:
    I have my interview on Tuesday and I was just wondering if you have to wear the outfit that you create because that would put me really out of my comfort zone!

I am planning on wearing a skater dress I bought from H&M recently with tights and brogues. Do you think this would be acceptable?

Thank you to all of the previous posters for your advice. It has been really helpful!

ReputationRep:
    Just had an interview today and it went extremely well for me. This is how it went down.

1. Had an Ice breaker at first. Basically just introduce yourself and talk about what you are most passionate about.

2. We were then split up into two groups and given 3 things to discuss about. They where "Why would you enjoy working in river island", "Why is it important to have product knowledge and how would you use it to promote River Island product" and "What is customer service".

3. We were given 30-40mins to discuss and write down our points, meanwhile we were called individually for a 1-on-1 interview and we asked questions like "when have you gone out of your way to help a collegue", "how would your friends/former employer describe you" etc (cant remember the rest, it was quite a few).

4. Then we would go back and join our groups. Then we presented what we discussed.

5. We were then asked about who River Island main competitors were

6. And finally we were asked to name a celebrity and say what kind of clothes we would dress them up in

I got a call the same day saying that I have been invited to the induction, which pretty much means that I have got the job.

My advise to anyone going to the interview, you really need to be passionate about fashion and dress up in the lastest trendy River Island clothes and look really good. Be confident and make sure you get right in there when its time to answer questions otherwise you would just be repeating answers that other people have mentioned.

Do your research of the History of River Island, know the current trends, know the pros and cons and before you walk into River Island, have a look at the display at the front of the shop. They may ask you what the mannequin wearing.

All in all, just make sure u are confident, I know you will be a little bit nervous but just try your hardest to be confident and if you really want this job, practice your interview questions to a point where you are able recite them without making any mistakes, and remember always think postive.....GOODLUCK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConstantlyStressed)
    Mine's at Cardiff..should be fun! I know - it's so bad it took me a couple of minutes to realize what A/W and S/S stand for
    I'm just going to go for S/S and hope for the best.
    I've got an interview in Cardiff next week - how was it? Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Have my recruitment event at York tomorrow, the advice that's been given on here is amazing! Incredibly nervous as I can be quiet when I meet new people and it's my first group event, hope I get the job!

ReputationRep:
    Thought i would give you my account on what happened as this thread helped me with what to expect and to prepare for questions.

I had my interview friday 5th october, and I GOT THE JOB!

Anyway there were 10 people there for the 1 job, and it was VERY informal, very chilled. I was really nervous and get embarrassed easily but it was so laid back there is nothing to be nervous about.
    First of all we had the ice breaker, got asked to give name, age, what we do eg study/jobs and then to give our favorite holiday.
    We then got split into groups of 5, one group having 1 2 1 interviews and the other preparing to answer 3 questions.
    I was with the group who had the interview first, while we were not being interviewed we got asked to individually choose an outfit for a 25 year old woman going to a wedding. As the only guy there with 9 girls i was massively out of my element but i got the job so must have gone well.
    After interview we had to answer 3 questions which were 'How can you keep up to date on current trends', 'What is involved within customer service' and finally 'What we enjoy about river island'

Once that was done we left, next day i got a call saying i got the job (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YesNibbles)
    Thought i would give you my account on what happened as this thread helped me with what to expect and to prepare for questions.

I had my interview friday 5th october, and I GOT THE JOB!

Anyway there were 10 people there for the 1 job, and it was VERY informal, very chilled. I was really nervous and get embarrassed easily but it was so laid back there is nothing to be nervous about.
    First of all we had the ice breaker, got asked to give name, age, what we do eg study/jobs and then to give our favorite holiday.
    We then got split into groups of 5, one group having 1 2 1 interviews and the other preparing to answer 3 questions.
    I was with the group who had the interview first, while we were not being interviewed we got asked to individually choose an outfit for a 25 year old woman going to a wedding. As the only guy there with 9 girls i was massively out of my element but i got the job so must have gone well.
    After interview we had to answer 3 questions which were 'How can you keep up to date on current trends', 'What is involved within customer service' and finally 'What we enjoy about river island'

Once that was done we left, next day i got a call saying i got the job (:
    Well done!

I got an email saying I've been selected for an interview next Tuesday - time to start doing my homework for it.

ReputationRep:
    I looked through this thread before I had my interview and have just came back from it...

My experience (Slightly different)
    So I applied online and got a reply and invitation to a recruitment event literally a day later. My interview was different to how other people described theirs. Firstly it was 1-on-1 (e.g. I didn't see any of the other applicants). I walked into store, told one of the sales advisors that I was there for an interview and he told me to pick an outfit from the store for dinner and then a night out.
    I picked an outfit in which I thought was suitable (msg me or something if you wanna know lol) Then the manager came down and took me to an office to ask me questions and for me to explain why I picked what I did.

QUESTIONS! (That I remember)
    Name a time that you worked under pressure? How did you cope?
    What do you like best about working in a team?
    Name a time you worked in a team?
    Name a time when you had to solve a problem?
    How would your friends and past work managers describe you?
    How would you describe yourself?
    What would you say your best attributes are?

I was surprised that I DIDN'T get asked "Why would you like to work for River Island?"

Overall I think it went well and I should find out by the end of the week if I've got it or not (fingers crossed)

Hope I've helped! x

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if the christmas temp interview process is any different?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have an interview at the Bullring River Island for the Christmas temp jobs?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have an interview at Lincoln RI?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SgoonCheeky243)
    I looked through this thread before I had my interview and have just came back from it...

My experience (Slightly different)
    So I applied online and got a reply and invitation to a recruitment event literally a day later. My interview was different to how other people described theirs. Firstly it was 1-on-1 (e.g. I didn't see any of the other applicants). I walked into store, told one of the sales advisors that I was there for an interview and he told me to pick an outfit from the store for dinner and then a night out.
    I picked an outfit in which I thought was suitable (msg me or something if you wanna know lol) Then the manager came down and took me to an office to ask me questions and for me to explain why I picked what I did.

QUESTIONS! (That I remember)
    Name a time that you worked under pressure? How did you cope?
    What do you like best about working in a team?
    Name a time you worked in a team?
    Name a time when you had to solve a problem?
    How would your friends and past work managers describe you?
    How would you describe yourself?
    What would you say your best attributes are?

I was surprised that I DIDN'T get asked "Why would you like to work for River Island?"

Overall I think it went well and I should find out by the end of the week if I've got it or not (fingers crossed)

Hope I've helped! x

Good Luck x

ReputationRep:
    I had my recruitment event and I thought it went well, there were only 6 of us being interviewed and at the start the woman said most of us would get the job. However, this was Wednesday and today is Saturday, I haven't heard from them either way yet, so I rung up my local River Island earlier and the manager said all information had been sent to head office and I would recieve an email shortly. Does this mean that head office will send me a rejection email? Or has anyone recieved an acceptance email before? Quite confused at what this means.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeC)
    For my interview i just wore a river island tshirt, some boutique jeans and plimsoles - they want to see you atleast show some interest in the brand but don't go overboard! Just dress how you normally do, they're more interested in your personality.

For the interview we were in a group of 5 or 6. We had an icebreaker, introduced our self, favourite tv show etc. We were then sent off in groups of 2/3 to choose an outfit we felt a certain celebrity they chose for us would wear to an event. We got given JLS and the event was a night out so I just chose some military clothing, boots etc - i'd seen a picture of them wearing the jacket so it was fairly easy. Then when we were dressed we went back to the table and explained why we chose what we did and the other manager who didn't know who we were had to guess.

Afterwards as a group we had to give a presentation on why we wanted to work there, what we could bring etc then went home.

Got a call the following day offering me the job! Just me and someone high up in the companies niece got the job.

Good luck and just be yourself! Try to take control of the group tasks if possible, not in a pushy way but use logic and common sense to get the group focussed and on track.

Any other questions just let me know, i'm sure not all branches follow the exact same interview format but i'm guessing it's similar.
    Fecking hell,
    My med interviews were easier than that and they actually mean something

ReputationRep:
    I have been invited to attend a recruitment event on the 19th Nov in Newport. I'm very excited but also a little nervous as i can be quite shy when i meet new people, i just really hope i can be confident i just need to prepare like crazy hehe!! This is my dream job and i wish it wasn't a tempory position but its a fab opportunity any way!!! Anyone else attending this event?? good luck

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.