The Student Room Group

Japanese Language/studies Applicants For 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Jazmine
Yup. I've had rejections now, actually. (From Sheffield and Leeds). I'm not disappointed only because I didn't think for a second that I'd get any kind of a look-in from them, only did it to fill my choice slots. =P I really have my heart set on Oxford Brookes. I e-mailed them asking them more about the course and it just sounds more ideal! I like practicality, very much so, and they combine Japanese with Law. It sounds like my kind of place!! Ha ha

Losing hope:eek:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 181
Hope you're not losing hope! x.

One has to bare in mind that I don't have good (enough) grades and gosh knows what my law teacher wrote about me. =P Hadn't even seen him since 2008!!
Reply 182
I'm really panicing about getting into any japanese course atm
I'm predicted A*CC (A* in sociology)
So I'm worried they won't accept me because I've only got 300 UCAS points and also how much would they look at my PS?
As I've done 13 years of volunteer work and 200 hours in school and I'm in japanese language classes and have run many japanese lessons and activities and made a kimono for my textile project and looked at japanese society for my english project and am doing it for my A2 history project and have attened the last 2 anime expos and I've been doing karate for 5 years and have done the silver D of E and loads of other stuff I couldn't fit in my PS (sorry thats a bit long)
So yeah I'm worried they only look at grades
Reply 183
Original post by smileree
So yeah I'm worried they only look at grades

I definitely think you have a good chance, they do take personal statements into account. Some more than others, but still. Don't worry, x.

My friend had AAC and was rejected from SOAS, whilst her friend (who got BBB) was accepted. I'm pretty sure their requirement at the time - on their website - was ABB. So they must take stuff, other than grades, into account! =)
Reply 184
Offer from newcastle for Japanese and cultural studies :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 185
Thanks for the music recommendations a while ago Jazmine! I'll check them out.

Original post by Donbar

Also into heavy metal but not really familiar with the Japanese metal scene.

You might like this clip if you haven't seen it.

Original post by IBzombie
Offer from newcastle for Japanese and cultural studies :biggrin: :biggrin:

Well done! :smile:
Reply 186
No problem Digeridoo!

Sadly, I've now received rejections from all Universities I applied to! =P Ha ha, oh well, at least I tried.

Good luck and congrats to everyone else though, xx. =D You'll all get in somewhere, I'm sure!!

EDIT: I received a message from Oxford Brookes and feel so much better about the reason for rejection being for grades only. Ha ha, and check it!:

The 4-year Combined Honours Law and Japanese Studies course is highly
competitive and the minimum entry requirements are BBB grades at
A2-level. We note you have BBC grades and therefore you have not been
successful in currently being offered a place on this course.

However, you will be receiving an offer of a place on the 4-year
Japanese Studies course. If you wish to discuss further options,
please do not hesitate to phone me on the number below.

Best wishes

=) It's honestly made my year(s). Sad, but entirely true.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 187
Original post by Jazmine
I definitely think you have a good chance, they do take personal statements into account. Some more than others, but still. Don't worry, x.

My friend had AAC and was rejected from SOAS, whilst her friend (who got BBB) was accepted. I'm pretty sure their requirement at the time - on their website - was ABB. So they must take stuff, other than grades, into account! =)

Thanks I feel alittle better from reading that but there is such high competion and all I can do is wait with my fingers crossed somewhere accepts me (hopefully) :smile:
Reply 188
Original post by Jazmine
No problem Digeridoo!

Sadly, I've now received rejections from all Universities I applied to! =P Ha ha, oh well, at least I tried.

Good luck and congrats to everyone else though, xx. =D You'll all get in somewhere, I'm sure!!

EDIT: I received a message from Oxford Brookes and feel so much better about the reason for rejection being for grades only. Ha ha, and check it!:

Best wishes

That's great! :biggrin:
I've been following your posts, and I have to admit, I nearly cried for you when I saw your latest post this morning.
Reply 189
Original post by Chayne
I've been following your posts, and I have to admit, I nearly cried for you when I saw your latest post this morning.

This. :frown:
Reply 190
Original post by Chayne

Original post by ussumane
This. :frown:

Aww, xx. Thank you so much, you guys!

I think I'm blushing, ha ha (my face has become so hot all of a sudden!). I'm really grateful. =) In fact, just this moment, UCAS updated my track as having an Unconditional offer from Brookes.

I wanted to do a funky Carlton dance, but I was in the middle of getting my baby brother off to sleep, ha ha!
Reply 191
Original post by Jazmine
Aww, xx. Thank you so much, you guys!

I think I'm blushing, ha ha (my face has become so hot all of a sudden!). I'm really grateful. =) In fact, just this moment, UCAS updated my track as having an Unconditional offer from Brookes.

I wanted to do a funky Carlton dance, but I was in the middle of getting my baby brother off to sleep, ha ha!

Oh man I'm so glad they did give you an offer (even if not what you originally wanted!) I felt so bad for you this morning when I saw your post. So- congrats for the unconditional!!
Reply 192
Original post by Jazmine

Best wishes

That's excellent news! :biggrin: Was hoping it would all turn out well for you. Must be a relief to know you can unconditionally go to uni now, even if a slightly different course? :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 193
Original post by juxtai
Oh man I'm so glad they did give you an offer (even if not what you originally wanted!) I felt so bad for you this morning when I saw your post. So- congrats for the unconditional!!

Ahh, s'all right. Although I felt upset, I knew it was a long shot, I was really thinking I had 5% chance max. of getting in anywhere - particularly with the vast amounts of bright students about. I was, at the time, just happy I at least tried. I hate to regret things, life couldn't get any worse by trying, so I did and felt all I could 'lose' was knowing that I'd stick to my current path, which is not so bad. But thank you a lot, I appreciate the congrats! =D

Original post by Digeridoo
That's excellent news! :biggrin: Was hoping it would all turn out well for you. Must be a relief to know you can unconditionally go to uni now, even if a slightly different course? :smile:

Yes! And thank you very much, x. I did apply for that course anyways, so I am very happy about it! =D I just hope I can sneak as many law modules and such in as I can. I might phone up and ask what opportunities they have for me to still pursue my interest in law, or would that seem rude? I dunno.. but I really love law, as much as Japanese. Both fill my heart with joy to speak about, it's just so fun! =D Ha ha, my manager thinks I'm a nut-case, "How can you spend your lunch, your free time, reading a- What is that?... A book on Contract Law this time?! You are dedicated, I'll give you that". Ha ha, it's not really dedication, it's just very interesting to me.

Anyways! Enough about that, it's embarrassing. =P

Have any of you got any background in the Japanese language? Perhaps some of you are above beginner level? Myself, I'm at a beginner level, I'd say vocab. is my weakest point. I find that my weekly class really helps with just reinforcing that as well as getting me to speak more. =P I find my listening is a lot better, but only one certain topics. Otherwise, I can usually only tell the topic of the conversation, rather than what they're saying.
Reply 194
Original post by Jazmine

Have any of you got any background in the Japanese language? Perhaps some of you are above beginner level? Myself, I'm at a beginner level, I'd say vocab. is my weakest point. I find that my weekly class really helps with just reinforcing that as well as getting me to speak more. =P I find my listening is a lot better, but only one certain topics. Otherwise, I can usually only tell the topic of the conversation, rather than what they're saying.

A but late but, congrats! :biggrin:

Unfortunately, the only classes I can go is a 10 hr short course so I'm a beginner to. I'm pretty much moving on with self-studying.

I should really send the application off now. I keep fretting over minor details on the PS.:s-smilie:

Btw, does anyone know if Japanpod101 is any good? Or if theres a decent free equivalent?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 195
Original post by Jazmine
No problem Digeridoo!

Best wishes

When I first read this I was saddened you didn't get and offer from any university :frown: But reading through all of it , it turns out it's wonderful news. Congratulations! :biggrin:

I have picked up a fair bit of Language, but like your my weak point is also vocabulary. Pretty much got verb conjugation and postpositions down but I've got nothing to use it on. I also know around 50 kanji and can read all the kana and write all the hiragana and around 3/4 of katakana. I'd put myself at a mid-range beginners level.
Reply 196
Original post by Susant
Btw, does anyone know if Japanpod101 is any good? Or if theres a decent free equivalent?

Thank you very much, x.

Yeah, I mean.. I say I self-study, but I am no good at doing that in a way. I just learn it via interacting with people online, it's not the same.

You have to pay for JapanesePod now?! I got it all for free, although I lost all my computer's data, so it's long gone =( But, you can probably download them for free somewhere at least. I found them interesting, but not helpful. Some really like them though. I just listen to Japanese podcasts instead.

Original post by Donbar
I have picked up a fair bit of Language, but like your my weak point is also vocabulary. Pretty much got verb conjugation and postpositions down but I've got nothing to use it on. I also know around 50 kanji and can read all the kana and write all the hiragana and around 3/4 of katakana. I'd put myself at a mid-range beginners level.

=P Yeah, I keep worrying that I'm somehow misguided. Shocked, I guess. And thank you, x.

I too classify myself as a mid- or upper-beginner. I have no idea how much I understand and whatnot, I don't learn in a set structure. So, it really depends. Sometimes I feel like a straight-up beginner. I got 54% on this test a while ago, just kind of let me know how hard I can find putting sentences together. Yet when I talk with my penpals, I can't say I often struggle to understand them. But~ that's probably because I can understand a lot more than I can say.
Reply 197
Original post by Jazmine
Ahh, s'all right. Although I felt upset, I knew it was a long shot, I was really thinking I had 5% chance max. of getting in anywhere - particularly with the vast amounts of bright students about. I was, at the time, just happy I at least tried. I hate to regret things, life couldn't get any worse by trying, so I did and felt all I could 'lose' was knowing that I'd stick to my current path, which is not so bad. But thank you a lot, I appreciate the congrats! =D

Ahaha I wish I could be as optimistic as you! It's a great outlook to have :biggrin: So well done, once again. As the saying goes, 'You don't ask, you won't recieve!'

I have no real background in the language, I'm self-teaching the Kana to myself, and I can get the general topic of a conversation. I'll recognize certain phrases or words, and put them together with the intonation to get a general idea, but nothing really other than that!
A word of warning for all you Japanese noobs wanting to study at Uni.

I went to Leeds Uni in 2005 to study Japanese. The course said all I needed was the kana. So I learnt that, about 20words, how to count and that was that. I knew random phrases from anime, and thought that would be a good enough base.

Within 2weeks of real lessons starting it was obvious most of the class already had GCSE if not Alevel so they decided to skip their plans for the first term or two and go straight to that level.
If you got left behind, as myself and around 5 others did you were left to drown.
We were not taught revision or other learning techniques for all the vocab and then kanji we had to pick up, instead just told to "study" but hours of inefficient study technique just leaves you tired and dazed.

Learn as much as you possibly can before you go to Uni, and get good techniques for cramming vocab and listening practise in before too, trying to figure it out while settling into halls and making friends, with all the constant testing and stress will drive you to fail otherwise.

Pessimistic yes, but if these words help someone then it was worth me failing to pass that on haah :biggrin:
Reply 199
Original post by princessmarisa
A word of warning for all you Japanese noobs wanting to study at Uni.

I went to Leeds Uni in 2005 to study Japanese. The course said all I needed was the kana. So I learnt that, about 20words, how to count and that was that. I knew random phrases from anime, and thought that would be a good enough base.

Within 2weeks of real lessons starting it was obvious most of the class already had GCSE if not Alevel so they decided to skip their plans for the first term or two and go straight to that level.
If you got left behind, as myself and around 5 others did you were left to drown.
We were not taught revision or other learning techniques for all the vocab and then kanji we had to pick up, instead just told to "study" but hours of inefficient study technique just leaves you tired and dazed.

Learn as much as you possibly can before you go to Uni, and get good techniques for cramming vocab and listening practise in before too, trying to figure it out while settling into halls and making friends, with all the constant testing and stress will drive you to fail otherwise.

Pessimistic yes, but if these words help someone then it was worth me failing to pass that on haah :biggrin:

You see, I've learnt the kana and have learnt a good portion of the common use kanji but I've been consciously avoiding learning any more aspects of the language (eg. grammar points, vocabulary) because of what the course says - that you can do it ab inicio. Your comment scares me, because you could be describing me in your second paragraph. :eek:

Now you've said this though, I am definitely going to kick my ass into gear and start using the grammar books on the side of my kanji learning. I'm following the AJATT method of learning Japanese though, so I still won't look in detail about vocab until I complete RTK1, hopefully this month. :rolleyes:

Anyway, thank you for the head's up. I wanted to actually *learn* Japanese at uni, but maybe I need to think of it as a place where I can re-enforce what I've learnt.

Quick Reply

Latest