Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxpiripirixx)
    Hello! I have about 50,000 questions for you then. I've looked everywhere for info on this but barely found anything XD

I read a bit about some sort of independent study portfolio thingy, could you tell me more about it? It seems to be something you put together to show that you are working outside of lectures etc. Also, how hard was it to change course? Did you change at the end of your first year and go straight into year two of your current one?

Thanks for any help you can give ^_^
    Haha that's fine! Yeah the portfolio.... in the first year you only do that in second semester, and yeah it is basically just a collection of work you've done outside the class. You're supposed to show that you've covered all the 4 key skills, i.e. reading, writing, listening, speaking. I think you're supposed to document for about 2 hours of outside work a week but they've always been a bit vague on that. You can put basically anything in it as long as it contributes to your Japanese learning!

And it was very easy to change course. Actually, I've changed course more than once; originally I was doing French and Japanese, changed to straight Japanese about 7 weeks in with little difficulty. Around Feb/March I decided to change to Maths and Japanese, all I had to do was email the guy in charge of Maths and he was fine with it and let me change. And nope, I'm in first year again, but I'm in the advanced group (post-A level), which is the same as the second year beginners class (what I would have done anyway).

Phew! Hope that answers your questions. Are you applying for 2011 entry?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, ok then, that sounds fine. Mine will probably end up being: Cheesy Drama, Cheesy Drama, Cheesy Drama, Magazine, Cheesy Drama ad infinitum. I'll hopefully make a japanese friend to practice speaking on...

Yep, 2011. I'm actually already at uni on another course but I want to change. I'll probably end up in one of those 'any degree will do' jobs so it might as well be a fun one. I'm 99% sure that I will go to manchester as I like how much media they seem to use (is there really a class where you basically just watch tv?). How is it taught? Do you have little classes with loads of contact time or are they just big lectures?

BTW had you learnt any japanese before you started? I haven't so I'm a bit worried about it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frogout)
    Haha yeah I used dramas in my one last year, just as long as you can show you're learning from it that's fine! Like writing lists of new words you've learnt etc. Can sorta take the fun out of it when you have to pause all the time to list a new word haha. And there are loadssss of Japanese students in Manchester, if you join the Japanese society you'll meet them. (and it is a very active society) This year Manchester has started a scheme where you can be paired up with a Japanese student, I'm actually part of it, the girl I'm paired up with is very nice and always cooks me nice things! But I think I'm lucky ha. They usually only advertise that scheme to second years though but I think if you enquire about it you could get involved.

Oh right do you actually have a place here then? Yes there is a class where you just watch TV, I think, but that's the advanced group only. In second year I think the beginners class does that too. I had done a Japanese GCSE before I started (which meant first semester was a complete doss) but a lot of people haven't done any before. Seriously, like even though they recommend learning kana there were people who hadn't even learnt that yet (SERIOUSLY wouldn't recommend that!). The lessons for language aren't lectures at all, all tutorials, there are 10 hours a week for the beginners group. For the culture and history modules there is one two hour lecture a week and a seminar. And if you do single honours then you get one extra module in an outside subject (any humanities subject).
    Aww damn it XD I was just going to do something along the lines of 'watched drama, was good, now know weird vocab' without going into detail. Are there many non japanese people in the society? I joined the one at my current uni but got intimidated and didn't go TAT OOh, that sounds good, I will ask. What are the lecturers like? Are they pretty friendly and approachable or a bit superior? Do you get personal tutors?

Yeah, it was my first offer. Leeds rejected me before that D:< I haven't heard back from the others but I think manchester will be my first choice (unless I get SOAS, financially london works better). Aww shame, oh well, I can look forward to that in a few years. lol, I have taken your advice and looked up some work books on amazon. I'm going to see if they are cheaper in town tomorrow, if not i'll get them from there. Woah thats a lot. At the moment I only have 4 compulsory hours! Oh well, at least I won't be able to fall behind too easily. How big are the tutorials? Do they use the immersion method? The uni i'm at now do (I did french until my department decided I wasnt allowed which is what actually pushed me to leave) and even though i knew quite a bit i still found it impossible. Do you know of anyone who managed to do sciences instead of humanities? I am doing single honours and I don't really want to have too many essays on my hands.

Thanks again for your help (I really wasnt joking with the 50,000 questions XD)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spekstaa)
    how was it all?
    Not really sure - these things are always very difficult to judge.
    Questions were mostly on the personal statement, some on grammar and some on the books that I have read, nothing majorly conceptual though which is a plus

letter being sent today so will probs find out on monday or tuesday (weather permitting)
    So scared!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jazmine)
    Good luck passing the requirements too, it sounds like you're doing well so far, although I don't understand the system, I'm afraid! Sounds like you have Sheffield down, seeing as you already have 6 Distinctions and 4 Merits? =P Or am I getting confused?
    No, you got it spot on. My Access course subjects are not my cup of tea, though, I can't stand social sciences... psychology, sociology, criminology etc. have a tough time of holding my attention and I have a job trying to motivate myself to get the assignments done. Oh well, all in the name of Japanese!

Nooo all the lecturers are so nice! You can definitely ask them for help, and yes you do get a personal tutor. And yeah there are loads of non-Japanese people! It's basically just people who do Japanese, Japanese people and then just a few randomers haha.

Well the tutorial sizes vary from year on year but there's like 15-20 in a class or so. And usually there's only one essay per humanities module unless you pick something like English maybe which isn't really TOO bad. And I'm not sure if that's possible; they told me I should pick from a list of humanities modules. Then again I didn't want to do a science so I didn't ask and it may well be possible. If you really hate essays that much just do a beginners language class as your extra module haha
    Very appreciative of the Manchester info - I can't find anything about the Japanese course there as the department only started up in 2007 I believe! I just had one question: is the Language Exchange programme mandatory or optional? As I have someone I can practice Japanese with, so I wasn't sure whether I had to sign up for this as well.

Many thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing in the post from Oxford today. At least there's post on Sunday this week. Pretty nervous - no idea at all how the interviews went.:afraid:

(Original post by aaant)
    Not really sure - these things are always very difficult to judge.
    Questions were mostly on the personal statement, some on grammar and some on the books that I have read, nothing majorly conceptual though which is a plus

letter being sent today so will probs find out on monday or tuesday (weather permitting)
    So scared!!!
    Hey aaant. Which college did you do your last interview at in the end? What was it like?

ReputationRep:
    Hey aaant. Which college did you do your last interview at in the end? What was it like? [/QUOTE]

Hey Toby
    We didn't get pooled after all, I think that they were just discussing us or something; in any case I got my rejection letter this morning so it makes no difference
    Good luck i really hope you get a place

PS I couldn't find you on facebook so add me:
    Anton Bridge

ReputationRep:
    Hey Toby
    We didn't get pooled after all, I think that they were just discussing us or something; in any case I got my rejection letter this morning so it makes no difference
    Good luck i really hope you get a place

PS I couldn't find you on facebook so add me:
    Anton Bridge
    Really sad to hear that man. Good luck with the SOAS and Edinburgh applications - you certainly seem really committed to Japanese to me.

Have added you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Digeridoo)
    Nothing in the post from Oxford today. At least there's post on Sunday this week. Pretty nervous - no idea at all how the interviews went.:afraid:

Hey aaant. Which college did you do your last interview at in the end? What was it like?
    Hey I'm waiting for my Oxford rejection too.. Well I guess there's a slim possibility of an offer too. What college were you at? I was at Wadham and I had an interview for St. Hildas as well, well I'm still not sure about what that interview was for cos it was in the Chinese institute and I wasn't really told it was for St. Hildas but anyway.. I'm from Ireland so I'll be getting an email early next week, hopefully that is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruadhan)
    Hey I'm waiting for my Oxford rejection too.. Well I guess there's a slim possibility of an offer too. What college were you at? I was at Wadham and I had an interview for St. Hildas as well, well I'm still not sure about what that interview was for cos it was in the Chinese institute and I wasn't really told it was for St. Hildas but anyway.. I'm from Ireland so I'll be getting an email early next week, hopefully that is.
    Yeah, I'm definitely not getting my hopes up for an offer too much. I was only interviewed for Hertford so won't have met you. How many other people applied to Wadham for Japanese?

The fact they interviewed you at the Chinese institute's a bit odd - were the interviewers professors for Japanese or Chinese? I'm definitely jealous the fact you get emailed - I can count on the weather sabotaging the letter for sure. :rolleyes: Is there any major snow in Ireland? When I visited Dublin this time last year the whole country was frozen.

ReputationRep:
    Haha yeah, it's a very new course. But in a way that can be a positive thing, the lecturers take your feedback with the course very seriously and they're always improving the course.

Ummmm... I dunno if it's compulsory, I don't really think so. But it is pretty much compulsory to get evidence of speaking practise into the portfolio so its a good way of getting that!
    Ah, okay, thanks for that!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm definitely not getting my hopes up for an offer too much. I was only interviewed for Hertford so won't have met you. How many other people applied to Wadham for Japanese?

The fact they interviewed you at the Chinese institute's a bit odd - were the interviewers professors for Japanese or Chinese? I'm definitely jealous the fact you get emailed - I can count on the weather sabotaging the letter for sure. :rolleyes: Is there any major snow in Ireland? When I visited Dublin this time last year the whole country was frozen.
    There were five of us at Wadham, apparently there was a sixth who couldn't make it too and who got a skype interview. What about Hertford? That's a bog college for Japanese right?
    The interviewers there were Chinese tutors but they asked me questions about the writing system in Japanese so they must know a bit about that too. I think Hildas doesn't have a proper Japanese tutor but is thinking about taking a student anyway maybe.. I dunno. Yeah there is major snow apparently all over except a thin strip on the east coast where we have none. That's where I am so I might even get the letter quickly enough.

ReputationRep:
    Still waiting for that Oxford letter.. hurry up Mr. Postman

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruadhan)
    There were five of us at Wadham, apparently there was a sixth who couldn't make it too and who got a skype interview. What about Hertford? That's a bog college for Japanese right?
    The interviewers there were Chinese tutors but they asked me questions about the writing system in Japanese so they must know a bit about that too. I think Hildas doesn't have a proper Japanese tutor but is thinking about taking a student anyway maybe.. I dunno. Yeah there is major snow apparently all over except a thin strip on the east coast where we have none. That's where I am so I might even get the letter quickly enough.
    There were 14 of us for Japanese at Hertford and another 6 for Chinese. What's Wadham like as a college (don't know if you also got to see St. Hilda's)? Hope your letter comes soon.

(Original post by anurules)
    Still waiting for that Oxford letter.. hurry up Mr. Postman
    Also still waiting for news from Oxford due to the snow. Even if it's a rejection I just want to know at this point.

ReputationRep:
    There were 14 of us for Japanese at Hertford and another 6 for Chinese. What's Wadham like as a college (don't know if you also got to see St. Hilda's)? Hope your letter comes soon.

Also still waiting for news from Oxford due to the snow. Even if it's a rejection I just want to know at this point.
    Wait... what?!?

There were 14 for Japanese? I thought its a clean split with 10 for Japanese and 10 for Chinese :'(

*sigh* If I was expecting a rejection before, I am now quite sure instead..

Oh well.. either way, I'll be happy.. it looks like it will be a WHITE CHRISTMASS!! :P

ReputationRep:
    Didn't get in! Just got the post!

Oh well.. WHITE CHRISTMAS! :P and of course 4 other Unis :P

ReputationRep:
    Didn't get in! Just got the post!

Oh well.. WHITE CHRISTMAS! :P and of course 4 other Unis :P

What unis you applying for again, Mademoiselle :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ussumane)

What unis you applying for again, Mademoiselle :pierre:
    SOAS, Edinburgh, Sheffield and Leeds...

The signature might be a tad more helpful on the status :P What about you?

ReputationRep:
    SOAS, Edinburgh, Sheffield and Leeds...

The signature might be a tad more helpful on the status :P What about you?
    LOL I didn't see that

SOASx2 Sheffield, Leeds and Newcastle

The fact that you were even asked to attend an interview at an Oxbridge college, means you are definitely getting an offer from SOAS :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I actually wouldn't mind a nice offer from SOAS - I think the place is awesome! :P - but err I hate how people go 'huh? where is that now?' even though its a good uni!! :P

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.