The Student Room Group

Japanese Language/studies Applicants For 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by anurules
I actually wouldn't mind a nice offer from SOAS - I think the place is awesome! :P - but err I hate how people go 'huh? where is that now?' even though its a good uni!! :redface: :redface: :P

Oh yea, so I guess your first option is Edinburgh? Or Sheffield?
Reply 301
Original post by ussumane
Oh yea, so I guess your first option is Edinburgh? Or Sheffield?

*sigh* If I only knew! :P

I don't know.. its a close call between Edinburgh, SOAS and Sheffield.. though in terms of course I definitely lean towards Sheffield more.. its exactly what I want with a major focus on Korean and a smaller one on Japanese.. :P
Current UCAS status:

Leeds: pending
Manchester: Unsuccessful
Sheffield: Conditional
SOAS: pending
Oxford Brookes: Conditional

Can anyone please fill me in with the main differences of studying Japanese at SOAS and Sheffield please?

PM me if you would prefer. Thank you minna :smile:
Reply 303
So........almost Christmas, and my reference still hasn't been done yet.

And no-ones replying to my emails :frown:
Reply 304
I may have just got a SOAS offer :smile::smile:
AAB!
My Christmas has now significantly improved :smile:
Reply 305
Original post by aaant
I may have just got a SOAS offer :smile::smile:
AAB!
My Christmas has now significantly improved :smile:

Well done! :biggrin: I'm still waiting to hear from them... thinking it'll be after Christmas now though :smile:
Hello people!
i was wondering if anyone is doing or has a friend who does Arabic/Japanese Joint honors degree? Also a question to those doing Post A-level Japanese (please state the uni you are in), what books do you use in class/lectures and how is the workload?
Thanks
Original post by Pan-Asianism
what books do you use in class/lectures and how is the workload?
Thanks

At The university of Sheffield we don't really use books for language classes, the teachers create the worksheets etc themselves. However, we do use the books 'Basic Kanji Book' volume 1 and 2 for Kanji in our first year. Not sure about the 2nd year as I am a 1st year.

Oh and the workload hasn't been too bad so far. I've only done my first semester though. You do have to put a lot of work in outside of class but hopefully, if you are like me, you will enjoy it so it wont seem as bad. It is easy to fall behind but as long as you work from the off its ok :biggrin: I just hope next semester isnt too much of a step up XD

Feel free to ask me any questions everyone, im in a mood for answering questions :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Thanks for the replies :biggrin:
Both Sheffield and Manchester seem very good. That basic kanji book seems essential to those starting off Japanese at uni (imo).

Original post by frogout
I don't know anyone doing that combination :tongue:

I'm doing post-A level Japanese at Manchester and we use minna no nihongo chuukyuu (textbook and grammatical notes book) and some sort of "kanji 700" book (don't know the exact name sorry). We usually have 3 different homework tasks each week (though I won't lie I have a bit of a poor work ethic with regards to that....) and also a weekly test on kanji/grammar/vocab etc, we're usually supposed to learn 20 or so kanji a week.

wow that's really a good way to start off the course with minna no nihongo chuukyu!! i finished the minna no nihongo 2 shokyuu one last year, its a good book did you do it as well before u went to uni? 20 kanji per week sounds ideal too
Reply 309
Well, my application was processed about 2 weeks ago, and so far SOAS and Manchester have acknowledged my existence...

I don't care if it's an offer, or rejection, or whatever else - I just want someone to get back to me!

:s-smilie:
Hi there, fellow applicants for Japanese. :smile:

I've got an interview for SOAS (BA Japanese and Korean) and I haven't seen anyone else on TSR with one. :frown: I didn't think SOAS usually interviewed (i.e. they gave offers without interviewing) so I was a bit surprised and so was my teacher, a bit. But maybe I was wrong all along. :s-smilie: So....

Does anyone else have an interview for the same subject or just Japanese or Japanese Studies?

And also, nice to meet you!! :biggrin:
Original post by mavira

I don't care if it's an offer, or rejection, or whatever else - I just want someone to get back to me!

:s-smilie:

I know that feeling so well... >:0(
Reply 312
Original post by redbeanmochi
Hi there, fellow applicants for Japanese. :smile:

I've got an interview for SOAS (BA Japanese and Korean) and I haven't seen anyone else on TSR with one. :frown: I didn't think SOAS usually interviewed (i.e. they gave offers without interviewing) so I was a bit surprised and so was my teacher, a bit. But maybe I was wrong all along. :s-smilie: So....

Does anyone else have an interview for the same subject or just Japanese or Japanese Studies?

And also, nice to meet you!! :biggrin:

I thought they'd never do that... Though their site does say..

Interview Policy: In principle all mature students, candidates with ‘non-standard’ qualifications, Korean nationals, and 'heritage speakers' (i.e., Koreans raised abroad) are invited for interview.

I applied for the same course, and haven't heard back yet! Last night, I suddenly had the epiphany that SOAS is probably the one for me.. Now, its just the waiting to do.. :P
Reply 313
Getsuugaaaa.......teeeenshhoooooouuuuuuuu!!
Reply 314
:rofl2:
Original post by anurules
I thought they'd never do that... Though their site does say..

Interview Policy: In principle all mature students, candidates with ‘non-standard’ qualifications, Korean nationals, and 'heritage speakers' (i.e., Koreans raised abroad) are invited for interview.

I applied for the same course, and haven't heard back yet! Last night, I suddenly had the epiphany that SOAS is probably the one for me.. Now, its just the waiting to do.. :P

:smile:

I'm neither Korean nor Japanese :frown:

But along those lines, I am doing Japanese AS+A2 this year, so maybe that's why I'm being interviewed...? Like a bit of a test to see if I can be put into the Intermediate class instead of Ab Initio, perhaps?

:eek: :eek: :eek: (The realisation) I did say in my personal statement that my uncle lives in Japan. (which is true, but I'm not Japanese...) That might be why, but maybe I'm overthinking now, haha. :tongue:

Well anyway, I'll make sure to do my best and not freak out in this interview like I did at the last one I messed up, because I really, really want to go to SOAS! :rolleyes:

Wow, it's nice to meet someone who's applied for the same course! :biggrin: Good luck with everything!
Reply 316
Original post by redbeanmochi
:smile:

I'm neither Korean nor Japanese :frown:

But along those lines, I am doing Japanese AS+A2 this year, so maybe that's why I'm being interviewed...? Like a bit of a test to see if I can be put into the Intermediate class instead of Ab Initio, perhaps?

:eek: :eek: :eek: (The realisation) I did say in my personal statement that my uncle lives in Japan. (which is true, but I'm not Japanese...) That might be why, but maybe I'm overthinking now, haha. :tongue:

Well anyway, I'll make sure to do my best and not freak out in this interview like I did at the last one I messed up, because I really, really want to go to SOAS! :rolleyes:

Wow, it's nice to meet someone who's applied for the same course! :biggrin: Good luck with everything!

Hehe - don't worry, maybe its a random thing!

Good luck - leave a message here and tell us how it goes!! :smile:
Sheffield hasn't gotten back to me yet. Am slowly losing the will to live.
Reply 318
Original post by NeonJellyBabies<3
Sheffield hasn't gotten back to me yet. Am slowly losing the will to live.

Sheffield sent me a letter today!It came with a brochure, but I don't know if it's a offer or just an acknowledgement :dontknow:

Just wait patiently,we are not even at the middle of the month yet :h:
Sheffield V.S SOAS

Which is the better university for Japanese Studies?

Help!!

Footnote: I'm not the best at book reading!! Do they both require the same amount of book reading for the additional modules e.g. politics, economy, history etc?
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest